WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Default How much of the AT have you hiked so far?

I'm curious how much experience or milage all the 2011 Thru-Hikers have on the AT? Are you a current section hiker or a repeat Thru-Hiker? I have about 300 miles of the AT under my belt mostly in the mid atlantic section and southern New England. I've also done some hiking in the Whites and Mahoosucs, and an overnight in the Grayson Highlands. I can't wait to hike in the southern appalachians and the rest of New England. So, where have you hiked on the AT and what section are looking forward to?
    Mobilis in Mobili

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

Im not a 2011 hiker, but when we first thru-hiked the trail I had already hiked Ga-Mt Rogers in sections over a period of 5-6 years.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Roughly 1000 miles give or take a few on the AT....then again I don't think of myself as a average 11' hiker.

I've done about 600 miles so far in mostly 30-50 mile sections in various states. I think it has given me a good feel for what it is like. The biggest difference will be not having the weekends to recuperate from my weekday summer hiking. There are many great sections but Katahdin is in my oppinion, the best. I am also completing my 46er list in the Adirondacks this summer. A typical day there tends to be a little more intense.

I've done not more than 20 miles, probably less, more than 25 years ago, in Boy Scouts and with my family. I only lived on the east coast for a few years when I was a kid, was born in California, and we came back here when I started high school. So the AT is not exactly convenient for short trips.

But I remember my dad telling me that it ran from Georgia to Maine the first time we went out on it, and me thinking how awesome that was. I don't know if he knew he was planting a seed that day, but he did.

One thing about a thru hike that most folks don't get. This hike is a process....a grind like a job! You get up early...hike...camp...sleep...then repeat in the rain, snow, hot, cold. Remember that as such you need to take days off (called Zeros..no miles hiked) to resupply, relax, recuperate, etc.. A day or two here and there helps mentally and physically. I saw way too many hikers burn out because they think they need tons of miles a week. Smell the roses and enjoy the hike...your miles accumulate faster than you think. Remember its a process not a marathon.

Images

Assuming the mileage didn't change over the past 12 years, I've hiked just over 534 miles so far. Plus about 20 miles of a 30 mile hike in SNP, but I did a lot of yellow blazing (therefore the 10 mile "gap") due to a bad case of Flu, so I'm not really counting them.
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

Images

Right now I have about 50 miles on the AT so far. Doing all of WV (wow!) and MD in September and all of Georgia in October. By the time April of next year rolls around, I should have about 225 miles or so.

my wife and I, 2011 hikers, have already done nearly all of SNP, not sure of the mileage here. We've also done Harpers ferry North 10 miles or so, and a good section of the Greyson highlands. Roan to Uncle Johnny's and that is it.

http://www.postholer.com/ontrail
    2011 H.F.-Duncannon, Katahdin-Rangeley
    2012 Springer-Erwin

Images

Springer> Damascus in sections. All of VA. Most of the Maine section when I was younger.

123 miles, GA and part of NC

I have 118 miles under my belt with 78 of them on the at and about 10-20 miles added each month as I have been lucky enough to get in one shakedown hike a month so far.
    21.1% Done

I hiked from GA to WV back in 1991. I ran out of money & returned home to make enough to finish the rest. Well, I fell in love, settled down, and that was that.

At 42, I'm single again & hitting the AT next summer to complete the journey. I'll be starting in Harper's Ferry.

I'm going to time my start date to put myself right in the thick of the class of 2011. I hope y'all will include me in the group. I've been dreaming of this for almost 20 years.
    "Walk as if you are kissing the Earth with your feet."
    -Thich Nhat Hahn

http://www.cranberrymountainlodge.com/

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1838232611

not sure of the miles but most of the skyline drive section in virginia, a section near harper's ferry, max patch, mt. roan, and mt. rogers. doing the SOBO in june 2011 is JUST about on my mind every day.

I'm not keeping track of miles, just sections. So far I've done from Katahdin to the Pa./NJ line, Georgia, and a bit of the Shennies.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

GA-ME 2011
    Images

I'm planning on a thru hike in 2011. So far I've hiked from Waynesboro, VA to Dalton, MA in several 100+ mile hikes.

Images

About 150 miles. That includes all of Maryland and West Virginia plus most of SNP.
    “The press of my foot to the earth springs a hundred affections.” Walt Whitman

All of MD, All of MA parts of VT, VA and PA. Will be leaving April 1, 2011 for a thru-hike.

Tumbleweed

Images

Summer of 09 me and a friend hiked from north Adams mass. To fort royal VA in one trip around 500 miles. I've also section hiked grafton noch Maine many times ( about 30miles)

Registered User beautifulpoetman's Avatar

My very first backpacking trip was with my dad in 1983 around Bear Mountain, in New York. I hiked a piece of the Smokies in 1995. I hiked a piece of the AT in New jersey in 2006.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++