WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Why is TJ always down??

What's going on with Trail Journals? I can never get on, for hours at a time. And then suddenly it'll just be back up. Frustrating.

Images

I don't visit TrailJournals.com often, but as it happens, have been on daily for the last three days without any problems. Just FYI.

And, I might add, just went there now to see, and it popped right up for me.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Yep, I've been on it all week without any problems too. Checked your ISP lately?

Images

nope, still cant get on.. it's my work computer.. I have a lot of down time in between calls to read TJ, but I can't go on for hours at a time some days, like today, and yesterday, the site just doesn't work.

Images

Working fine for me...

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Trailjournals is essentially an 11+ yr old website w/ software that was never meant to handle the amount of traffic it gets. I do not know about the hardware side of the equation in terms of how old it is.

Combine those two factors together and there you go. Wheter it is working or not now is immaterial...it does go up and down relatively frequently.

Website upgrade can be a PITA..but it needs to be done otherwise things break, standards change and your website will be unstable.

(overhauling my website over the summer and migrating it to wordpress hopefully by this Fall. Rather than patch and use the kludge that is now Joomla. And it IS a PITA!!! )
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

I'll be happy when you update your site, Mags. I had to write a greasemonkey script to read it.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I'll be happy when you update your site, Mags. I had to write a greasemonkey script to read it.
    The webhost upgraded its PHP and it broke my 4+yr old software. The newer version of Joomla is 'kludgey' IMO (in fact, the back end admin panel is broke, too) So in my copious spare time (HA!), I am working an hour here or there... I gave up trying to work with a bazillion different bridges, applets, addons etc.. and just starting over from scratch. Joomla, Drupl and Wordpress were all the up and coming CMS packages in 2006.

However, in 2010, it ain't the case.

Going to Wordpress..and should be done by the end of this summer. Call it PMags 2.0.... A LOT of content to pull over, revamp, etc. etc. etc.

Now, if anyone wants to pay me my current salary to work on my personal website full time, it will be done in less than a month. I could give up my weekends, no longer go outside, not have a social life and ignore my girlfriend but that ain't gonna happen either.
    Last edited by Mags; 07-16-2010 at 16:55.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Pickleodeon View Post
    nope, still cant get on.. it's my work computer.. I have a lot of down time in between calls to read TJ, but I can't go on for hours at a time some days, like today, and yesterday, the site just doesn't work.
    No problems at all lately for me. Maybe your employer installed a special program on their computer to keep their employee's from going to fun websites Good Luck

Trailjornals could be block at your work or if they have a fire wall and if they update the fire wall you might have to add your trailjournals as a safe site. Just a few thing you can check on or could be your ISP to.

Baron
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pickleodeon View Post

The site is essentially blogspot for hikers so your place of work may be blocking it.
    ‎"You know your camping trip really isn't going well when you find yourself hoping to stave off sepsis with a six-pack of Icehouse. "

"Age is not an accomplishment, and youth is not a sin."

But I believe, yes I believe, I said I believe
    Images

I spent last night copying and pasting my journal to a word document for safe keeping should anything ever happen to that website. Final total was 161 pages.

++ New Posts ++