WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by trippclark View Post
    Well, your odds of seeing a bear on the AT in any given weekend or week, anywhere are not great. I've hiked about 1100 miles of the AT over the last 10 years -- somewhere around 75 days of hiking plus or minus -- and I have only seen three bears. Two were just brief glimpses, and the third was running the other way. All three of these were in North Carolina and Virginia.
    I disagree...I saw five bear this past weekend in one day in NJ on the AT. Almost every hiker I passed had seen a bear in the past couple days. NJ is chalk full of bear.

I would say Conn and mass you are less likely to see a bear. Also the hiking isnt that difficult which may also be something to consider if this is her first time out and you want her to like it.

If you fear meeting a bear, don't read the book Three Hundred Zeros.

I never read a book written by a thruhiker who had seen so many bears.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Im not meant to see bears I live in Western PA, i know no where close to the AT but I haven't seen a bear for 23 years! Its ridiculous! I have spent countless hours looking for them and everyone I know see's them all the time. I am going to be really disappointed if I don't get to see one on the AT next year!! I am going to Yosemite next month, I will bet I don't get to see a bear there either!

Just saw a bear in NJ this weekend. And Kelleelynn -- when I was in Yosemite I didn't see a single bear.
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    I guess there aren't too many bears in the stretch of flat farmland and suburban sprawl through the Cumberland Valley in PA.
    Second black bear captured in Camp Hill in 2010 - note the first one was behind a shopping mall

I live in Tennessee near where the AT runs through Hampton/Watauga Lake area. I've hiked on it in TN and VA many times over the last 20 years or so. In the past five years I've probably clocked hundreds of miles on it in the area and have yet to see one bear. I was out near Laurel Falls a couple of weeks ago and a hiker passed me going the other way on the trail. He said there was a mama bear and cubs up the trail about 100 yards but I never saw them. It's just a roll of the dice, I guess. I am not anxious to see one but the important thing is that you don't freak out it you do. Let your wife know that she should not turn around and run or make any sudden crazy moves. I think if you just continue on like you are supposed to be there then you should be ok.

Serial Hiker
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kelleelynn View Post
    ... I am going to Yosemite next month, I will bet I don't get to see a bear there either!
    I saw one bear in Yosemite when I stayed in the backpacker's campground in the valley last August. It was just before dusk and was pretty young.
    perrito

684.4 down, 1507.6 to go.

"If a man speaks in the woods, and there is no woman there to hear, is he still wrong?"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++