WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Post Internet access on the A.T.?

Just wondering the best way to keep up with my email while on the trail. Can I bring a small internet capable laptop or just rely on my cell phone? Is wifi or broadband available while on the trail? Any help would be appreciated.
    Simple Suttle

Images

Wifi on the trail itself? I don't think so.

It is possible to use a cell phone out there or you could just wait until you get to a town.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.
    -Edward Abbey

Images

Default WiFi on AT

The WiFi on the AT is just as abundant as running water from faucets. If you can not live without it stay at home.

Mike

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

You won't have to go completely cold turkey.

If you're in a town - go to the library - they have internet access and it's usually free.

Some hostels and most hotels also have internet access.

I was able to check my email at least once a week, no problem.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Some hostels and most hotels also have internet access.
    The computer is the most popular feature at our hostel....more popular than a shower after coming off trail. Everyone has different priorities!!
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

I'm carrying a Verizon MiFi and iPod touch so I do have wifi on the trail. Had 3G speeds at the Ensign Cowall, Pine Knob and Rocky Run shelters .. also at the Dahlgren campground. Right now at the trail to Bear Spring Cabin I don't have 3G access but plenty to check email.

But I believe, yes I believe, I said I believe
    Images

Use libraries, it worked fine for me. Keep your cell phone turned off if you don't need it on.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mmais68569 View Post
    The WiFi on the AT is just as abundant as running water from faucets.
    Both are available in Port Clinton.
    Last edited by emerald; 07-18-2010 at 16:09.

Quote Originally Posted by SoSuttle View Post
    Just wondering the best way to keep up with my email while on the trail. Can I bring a small internet capable laptop or just rely on my cell phone? Is wifi or broadband available while on the trail? Any help would be appreciated.
    I happened to see a review for this, but understand I have never used this or anything like it:http://gadgets.boingboing.net/2008/0...-puts-ema.html

I plan on bringing a lightweight netbook... I am not too concerned about wifi and checking my email tho, its more to play with my pictures and music! I also will not be freaking if I have to go days without it being charged. So see I can live without it and won't be staying home! lol

Images

From the I-87 (New York Thruway) crossing to Great Barrington, MA you'll have cell phone reception (on Tracfone which uses Verizon as well as several other carriers) on most of the trail. You'll only be in a terrain shadow in a few areas such as the high valley between Mt. Schagticoke and Mt. Algo just south of Kent, CT. So if your phone can do e-mail you'll have e-mail on those stretches. If you do bring a cell phone it's good to have an extra battery and of course only turn the phone on when you're actually using it. If family and friends want to get in touch instruct them to do so by text message as these will wait until you turn the phone back on whereas a regular call you'll just miss if the phone is off.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kelleelynn View Post
    I plan on bringing a lightweight netbook... I am not too concerned about wifi and checking my email tho, its more to play with my pictures and music! I also will not be freaking if I have to go days without it being charged. So see I can live without it and won't be staying home! lol
    youre bringing a laptop hiking??? Its so much extra weight and what happens if it gets wet?
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.
    -Edward Abbey

Internet access at Public Libraries and possibly at hostels/hotels, etc!

Default internet access on AT

Quote Originally Posted by mmais68569 View Post
    The WiFi on the AT is just as abundant as running water from faucets. If you can not live without it stay at home.

Mike

Applause to Mike's post!

There is internet access at libraries at every town you pass through. If you absolutely can't go a day without internet access then why are you hiking? just stay home!

David

Quote Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
    youre bringing a laptop hiking??? Its so much extra weight and what happens if it gets wet?
    I would never bring my laptop hiking! I am bringing my netbook lol It weighs under 2lbs and I have it specifically for hiking. The main reason is I will easily take 500 pictures a day. In the evenings I like to transfer them from camera to netbook. Can you imagine how many pictures I will take in 6 months?!! It will be alot easier to keep them in order if I do it on a regular basis. The netbook is pretty small, it fits nicely into a large ziploc bag.

Images

Default 3G on the trail

My trail buddy "Donner Party" was able to get a 3G internet signal using his Droid cell phone at 2 of our camps between N.O.C. and Fontana earlier this year. One location was Cheoah Bald !

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNH View Post
    If you absolutely can't go a day without internet access then why are you hiking? just stay home!
    For those of us in tech support it's actually the opposite, if we have internet access we can go hiking. On Friday I got an email that all production computers were offline when a power outage tripped a network switch on the UNIX system. While eating lunch at the Dahlgren Campground I emailed the sequence of steps to terminate the locked processes and reset things. Five minutes later I got an email that everything was back up and running. I shut off my MiFi and iPod Touch and continued hiking.

But I believe, yes I believe, I said I believe
    Images

A laptop, seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by couscous View Post
    For those of us in tech support it's actually the opposite, if we have internet access we can go hiking. On Friday I got an email that all production computers were offline when a power outage tripped a network switch on the UNIX system. While eating lunch at the Dahlgren Campground I emailed the sequence of steps to terminate the locked processes and reset things. Five minutes later I got an email that everything was back up and running. I shut off my MiFi and iPod Touch and continued hiking.
    I'm a systems engineer for a government network with the same remote support capability as you. When I go hiking I tell my co-workers it's their turn to watch the shop.

Co-workers? That's the difference .. I don't have any.. been that way for 31-years.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++