WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Man View Post
    Correct, not that Tin Man... usually people confuse me with Anti-Gravity Tin Man. I really need a new name. Sigh.
    How about "Ten Man" ?

"Brian, Glad you are 'there' with your internet experience on the trail. I would need more than what your phone gives you. But then, I don't want any when I am on the trail. "
    I don't want it much on the trail either; an infrequent weather report is nice, as is the ability to upload trail journal entries in a more timely way, but that's about it barring some true emergency contact situation (which has yet to happen thus far on two long distance trips).

In town it can be nice to catch up on limited emails (I have a separate email address that's just for hiking-related stuff and family/friend contacts, and I don't look at the other one). Sometimes in trail towns where electric power isn't an issue I'll read articles from my hometown newspaper, and when enough time permits I'll upload some photos to my trail journal.

Those things are most of what I do with "internet access" on a thru-hike. Of course other people will have other priorities, other ways in which they want to stay connected --- yet another HYOH thing.
    Gadget
    PCT: 2008 NOBO, AT: 2010 NOBO, CDT: 2011 SOBO, PNT: 2014+2016

Hmm, I should add that when I had Giardia (or something akin to it), internet access on my phone allowed me to search out plane flight options and book a ticket. I did the same thing from Millinocket just a few days ago to set up a flight out of Bangor literally the very next day. In the latter case I think there was a computer I could have used for that instead, but I used my phone, and in the former case my phone was all that I had. In general, the ability to search for information can come in quite handy in unpredictable ways.
    Gadget
    PCT: 2008 NOBO, AT: 2010 NOBO, CDT: 2011 SOBO, PNT: 2014+2016

WIFi on the trail??? Find a place off the trail. hostels, mcD ATC Headquaters.

As 3g/4g networks become more and more widespread, I think information access will only become more prevalent in wild places. My android has a 1ghz processor, which is faster than my first computer in college (733mhz).

While some may cringe and rightfully so, perhaps if a courteous etiquette is established we can avoid ruining the experience for those who wish to avoid such intrusions.

That said, I quite look forward to the day I can use a small solar charger to power my smartphone. With a small keyboard attached I can comfortably write at length without needing to leave the trail. I can record inspirational thoughts when I am alone and find the need. When necessary I can connect to wifi and double check a while herb or mushroom.

I believe if used respectfully, this evolving technology can allow even further immersion into nature.

And for those of us who can find employment online, a few zeros a month could generate income for supplies, cutting the need to return to society even further.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Daeluin View Post

I believe if used respectfully, this evolving technology can allow even further immersion into nature.
    HA!!! The two cannot coexist.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.
    -Edward Abbey

Images

Phone, Peek Pronto or one of the many Android tablets that weigh less than the iPad.

The way I'm doing it next time is either to bounce my mini-tabletpc down the trail or get a smartphone...although I'm still looking for a good trail smartphone to be created.

Images

Has anyone noticed that there are several people on whiteblaze who profess HYOH. but then say things like if you can't live without technology then stay home. If a netbook, notebook, Ipad or anything else is enjoyed by someone else then so be it. If it offends my delicate senses of what nature should be then the option to hike on down the trail exists.

HYOH
    Doc Mike

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Mike View Post
    Has anyone noticed that there are several people on whiteblaze who profess HYOH. but then say things like if you can't live without technology then stay home.
    You missed the fine print. It's HYOH*.

*But only do things the way I would if I had my ideal hike.

Images

I have computers for hikers with wi-fi in Franklin,NC at Budget Inn, Sapphire Inn, Franklin Motel, and at Hiawassee Inn of Hiawassee, Ga

Images

ghr. I read most all of this thread. Take what you want to take. You'll send home **** that doesn't work for you as the weeks and months wear on. I think hikers with laptops and immediate online access are the future of where its heading. No one can stop anyone else from bringing their video games to a shelter on a rainy day. Quit bitching old-timers. The game has changed. Enjoy nature, take what you want of cyberspace with you if you like.
    hey hey, my my

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++