WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Class of 2005 is very Quiet?

No new post on the Class forum for 4 days. I have followed Whiteblaze,Trailjournals, and Trailplace for years. This year seems to have less activity than previous years. Is it because we are few in number, less excited, or already said it all? I know of about 10 people starting late Feb. early March, I'm sure there are a lot more. I would love to read more from our class to get a feel for who is out there with me. The Paladin

Default I know!

It really seems like we are a quiet bunch! Hopefully not out there on the trail though!

Gravity and Danger Pee will be out there hiking on March 1. We are super excited! No idea how we are getting to the trail yet. The wife really wants to stay at the Lodge because we did that on our first attempt in 01 and it left a lasting impression. We are stoked to make friends!

Gravity

GAVA '04; GAME '05
    Images

It must be too early yet for many people to start thinking of next spring. Everyone's probably still busy with homework or their jobs or whatever it is normal people do. But I bet the hiker numbers will be up next year; it was such a perfect season this year.

Images

Default Quiet

I haven't been quiet, overall; I've been posting in several of the other areas on Whiteblaze, but I haven't posted recently in the 2005 area. I'm not sure why, but I guess it's because I've been busy with other things and haven't really come up with much new to add, as it might pertain to my 2005 hike, which I do still intend to begin.

i'm heading out april 2nd. i've had some e-mails from 3 others starting that weekend. 1 lives 45 mi. from here & we've meet twice to talk gear & plans. my gear is ready , except food i plan to mail drop , if it's paid for , i can't run out of cash , i want another pair of boots , o.t. just paid for them , i've been wanting to leave since the day i started to plan this last feb. & i check this every couple days when i get to borrow a computer, 142 days for me

I'm excited alright, it's all I can think about right now, but to be able to hike in March.........I have to pay off my car........so that means nothing but WORK for me right now! work, work, work! (well, with a little hiking now and then)

Oh, I'm excited enough. But I didn't stumble across this site until a few days ago, hence my previous period of silence. Counting the days till March... I'll be heading out sometime after the ides.

hey CHICKETY , i used to live in w.franklin, n.h. still have friends there & hope to meet them in hanover.
    is everybody doing the approach trail ? i've been asked.
    also the last assault //day packs or back packs?

Images

Hey Robo -

I hope to get a ride to forest service road 42 but since I plan a Feb 1 start that may be a problem so I may have to do the approach trail.

I climbed the approach trail three times in 2003. In the Spring you can see quite a bit through the trees. Other than the first mile it is not too hard. Just mostly UP.

I have family in the Manchester / Londonderry area. If I have time when I get to Hanover I may go see them. Altuough if the milage gods smile on me I might like to get in a little extra miles of the Long Trail while I am in the area.

I have not hiked or camped in New England since the mid 1970's. I seem to recall some brown hair in my reflection at that time! Hope to be able to score a nice cold bottle of Moxie somewhere up there.

See ya up the trail

Hi there all! I too live in NH Chickety but I have children older than you. I plan on a start around March 10. I am very excited and have not thought of much else since Feb. I am working on equiipment and clothing decisions now. When that is finalized I will start on the food issues. I have a big determination to get to Maine. Let's hope my feet and knees cooperate. I have started a journal on Trail Journals but it is pretty dull compared to some.

Robo, I forgot to say I plan on doing the approach trail also.

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by robo
    is everybody doing the approach trail ?
    Another New Hampshirite checking in. From Portsmouth. I'm planning on doing the Approach Trail. Want to walk under the stone arch. My plan is to start from Amicalola March 19 and be on Springer summit the morning of March 20. The vernal equinox is 7:34 the morning of March 20. Spring on Springer. Get it?
    Frosty

GAVA '04; GAME '05
    Images

I'm thinking to leave Mid-March. Gotta leave early because I just get the feeling that next summer is going to be hot, hot, hot!
    I plan to skip the Approach Trail next year. I see no reason whatsoever to hike miles that I don't have to.
    Now I laugh at how new to hiking I was my first day on Springer last year. I remember someone telling me they had lost their bottle of alcohol, and for the longest time I couldn't figure why in the world anyone would hike all the way up Springer with a full bottle of booze.

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty
    Another New Hampshirite checking in. From Portsmouth. I'm planning on doing the Approach Trail. Want to walk under the stone arch. My plan is to start from Amicalola March 19 and be on Springer summit the morning of March 20. The vernal equinox is 7:34 the morning of March 20. Spring on Springer. Get it?

We will hike on Approach Trail but few weeks before you.

Catch me if you can =)

Flash Hand

Yea NH!!

Frosty...........Spring on Springer is our plan too!
    Me and my love, Neighbor dave
    See ya there!
    Last edited by Chickety; 11-17-2004 at 18:02.

hey jim,
    if you want me to drink moxie you'll need to bring a gun. i bought 1 thinking it was root beer //// big surprise ///

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by Chickety
    Yea NH!!

Frosty...........Spring on Springer is our plan too!
    See ya there!
    Hey, Chickety! How ya doing? I finally finished the Monadnock Sunapee Greenway. May do it again as a series of day hikes before the weather gets too cold. Love that trail.

How are you getting to Springer? I was thinking of taking AMTRAK, spending a night in a hostel, then getting shuttled to Amicalola.

3/20/2005, 7:34 a.m. Be there or be square.
    Frosty

GAVA '04; GAME '05
    Images

How are you getting to Springer? I was thinking of taking AMTRAK, spending a night in a hostel, then getting shuttled to Amicalola.

3/20/2005, 7:34 a.m. Be there or be square.[/QUOTE]

I was thinking of taking Amtrak this year, but problem was it was just as expensive as flying and you end up laid over in D.C. forever. Then again, trains are really cool. There are a few hostels that will pick you up at the airport/Amtrak terminal.

Sounds like a good date to leave, Frosty, just don't expect me to get up that early.

Frosty -

No idea how we're getting there yet! Had one offer of someone to drive us............ guess we'll see as the time gets closer! Almost at the 4 month mark!! Yea!!

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by SalParadise
    I was thinking of taking Amtrak this year, but problem was it was just as expensive as flying and you end up laid over in D.C. forever. Then again, trains are really cool. There are a few hostels that will pick you up at the airport/Amtrak terminal.
    Antrak typically isn't cheaper than flying, buyt Ilike it better. Fare is $107 from Boston to Gainesville. Leave 9:35 am Mar 17, arrive 7:30 am Mar 18. For another $113, I can get a sleeper from NYC to Gainesville. There is NOTHING better than sleeping on a train. I haven't made reservations yet, but am thinking about it. When the time gets closer, they may be a few hikers from New England without transportation so that we could chip in and rent a car one way. Flying is my last resort.

Quote Originally Posted by SalParadise
    Sounds like a good date to leave, Frosty, just don't expect me to get up that early.
    I like to start early.I don't usually set an alarm (this may change on a thruhike), but if I wake up at 5:00 to pee, I like to just break camp and start walking. I have been known to sleep in until 7:30 or 8:00, but my preference is to start walking in the dark and watch the woods become light.
    Frosty

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++