WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

while I have hiked a pretty fair bit of the AT, I have never had the slightest desire to do a thru hike.

Never had the time, and now that I do, I don't have the desire.

Quote Originally Posted by Knocky View Post
    while I have hiked a pretty fair bit of the AT, I have never had the slightest desire to do a thru hike.

Never had the time, and now that I do, I don't have the desire.
    a thru-hike is all about the destination and not the journey

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    If that's true then why not drive or take a plane?
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Images

Because many of the most interesting things are better observed within arm's length than from miles away.

Someone you and I both met put it well and I will find her post. Try these suggestions from a recent couple who went the distance to see what worked for them.
    Last edited by emerald; 07-24-2010 at 10:24.

Quote Originally Posted by gravityman View Post
    2001 - Quit at Harper's Ferry (1000 miles) because of injury and sickness for my wife (girlfriend at the time). It was very tough for us, and there were many mistakes we made that ended with my wife injured and sick (mainly no willing to adjust quickly enough because of the 'hiking should be hard and should hurt' mind set. Also trying to conserve money and not spending it when we needed to rest or get new shoes or see the doctor). It was super hard for both of us to get off.

For the next four years we plotted our return, and we did return in 2005 and completed the whole hike. It was a lot of fun up until NJ, then it started to get a bit tedious. Not that we were bored, but just that we got sick of the same old food and heat and humidity. But we were committed to complete the trail because we knew this was our last chance. We still had some great times north of NJ, but the shine had worn off.

I will also say that in 2001 it was totally magical and amazing for both of us. Somehow, in 2005 it was 'normal.' Fun but not so magical. That made the experience very different in 2005 vs 2001.

Gravity (and Danger)
    I call this the honeymoon effect and the relationship we have with the trail is not so different than with a person. After the magic and shine of the honeymoon period fades, you may realize a few things:

I really and truely love this person/trail;
    I only like you, or said another way, I love you but I'm not in love with you;
    I'm no longer as interested- that was just lust;
    indifferent;
    your not for me;
    I hate you.

I fell in love- awwww- and we are still together- happy as ever.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nean View Post
    I call this the honeymoon effect and the relationship we have with the trail is not so different than with a person. After the magic and shine of the honeymoon period fades, you may realize a few things:

I really and truely love this person/trail;
    I only like you, or said another way, I love you but I'm not in love with you;
    I'm no longer as interested- that was just lust;
    indifferent;
    your not for me;
    I hate you.

I fell in love- awwww- and we are still together- happy as ever.
    Nean, you seem to think that someone has a problem or aren't doing something right if they don't want to hike for months at a time - why is that?

I hiked the entire AT in 2.5 years so I'm not exactly a beginner - I know what I like and what I don't and I'm proud to be a section hiker.

the first day of my thruhike, while hiking up the approach trail, I met a hiker who gave me this advice: If you get to point where you've decided you really want to quit, keep going for at least 3 days and then evaluate how you feel. If you still feel like quitting, maybe you should.

I certainly had some bad days on the trail, but I cannot even count them on one hand. I find life off the trail more painfully monotonous than life on it. When trail life was bad or uncomfortable due to weather, bugs, hiker drama, etc. it didn't usually stay that way for more than a few days.

The only time(s) I considered quitting was due to injury. Even then, I was really just considering taking time off to heal. I had a bad sprained ankle in PA and after waiting a few days, kept hiking shorter days for a while and then discovered the power of ibuprofen (vitamin I). I took it several times a day just so I could hike. By the time I was in NY/NJ I discovered blood in my urine and was a little freaked out. I thought I might have to leave the trail. I stopped taking vitamin I and paid more attention to how my body felt. When I was tired, I slept. When I was hungry for something other than what I had in my food bag, I made it a goal to get to the next place that had good food.

Most of the people I knew who quit were injured, had issues at home to deal with (one hiker I met had his house damaged by a tornado), or ran out of money.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Nean, you seem to think that someone has a problem or aren't doing something right if they don't want to hike for months at a time - why is that?

I hiked the entire AT in 2.5 years so I'm not exactly a beginner - I know what I like and what I don't and I'm proud to be a section hiker.

That is something to be proud of as far as I'm concerned as I too have done trails 4x in sections.
    Its well worth knowing your limits.

Not everyone can do a thru hike.

I do get uneasy when I hear the trail get blamed for being the problem.

Maybe it has something to do with meeting 100s of hikers over the years who blow out of the gate- stop having fun faster than they can walk- and go home. And its not that they approached their goal in a manner that didn't allow them to achieve it, its the trails fault that it wasn't any fun.

Maybe its because I have too much fun that I can't relate?

So I apologize again if this classic example of making an excuse feels pointed at you 10-K Its just my opinion, based on what I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by whitelightning View Post
    the first day of my thruhike, while hiking up the approach trail, I met a hiker who gave me this advice: If you get to point where you've decided you really want to quit, keep going for at least 3 days and then evaluate how you feel. If you still feel like quitting, maybe you should.

I certainly had some bad days on the trail, but I cannot even count them on one hand. I find life off the trail more painfully monotonous than life on it. When trail life was bad or uncomfortable due to weather, bugs, hiker drama, etc. it didn't usually stay that way for more than a few days.

The only time(s) I considered quitting was due to injury. Even then, I was really just considering taking time off to heal. I had a bad sprained ankle in PA and after waiting a few days, kept hiking shorter days for a while and then discovered the power of ibuprofen (vitamin I). I took it several times a day just so I could hike. By the time I was in NY/NJ I discovered blood in my urine and was a little freaked out. I thought I might have to leave the trail. I stopped taking vitamin I and paid more attention to how my body felt. When I was tired, I slept. When I was hungry for something other than what I had in my food bag, I made it a goal to get to the next place that had good food.

Most of the people I knew who quit were injured, had issues at home to deal with (one hiker I met had his house damaged by a tornado), or ran out of money.
    I enjoyed this post.

One last thought, I hope its clear.

Even after the trail lost the shine from my youth and the excitement of the first time it has become more like an old trusted friend and place I consider home.

I just have to get back out there soon before I go insane!

I thought gravitymans post was honest and well said.

Quote Originally Posted by Bags4266 View Post
    I would imagine age has alot to do with mindset. When I was 17-24 I was a free spirit with no responsibilties. But now or when you get older the responsibilties mount and your obligated to more things (wether you want to be or not)

I am bringing the only responsibility that matters with me!

When I came to realize this after a few sections and listening to thru-hikers here and on the trail, I stopped dreaming of a thru-hike and now enjoy my section hiking all the more.

Not everyone can be like Nean and I applaud his approach to the trail and to life. It's just not for me.

...and since we all end up at the same destination- its a shame us humans are slow to realize its the journey that is infinite

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Man View Post
    When I came to realize this after a few sections and listening to thru-hikers here and on the trail, I stopped dreaming of a thru-hike and now enjoy my section hiking all the more.

Not everyone can be like Nean and I applaud his approach to the trail and to life. It's just not for me.

Thanks Tin Man. I respect that you are honest/ true to yourself.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by abbyflutterby View Post
    Alright - curious noob here, planning on hiking next year.
    I'm interested in responses to the following.
    Thru-hikers - describe a situation where you contemplating giving up on the hike, and going "back"...
    or those that didn't finish but originally planned to - what made you quit?

(Even if you quit, props to getting out there in the first place. )

1835 miles this year, 1st Family. If I were to do it again, the PCT would be the 1st longtrail choice. Why?, the views, the trail is more rewarding. Not that I have hiked on the PCT, this is what I've been told.
    I don't know

Cant stand the heat, get out of the mid-Atlantic states.

I warned some hikers this year when I was south bounding through some of PA and VA to trail days that the perfect dry weather they were having with nice clear days and cool temps would be a major problem for them in PA/NY/NJ and it is.

Now it is really hot, and has been, there is no water and the bugs from such a wet winter are at an all time high.
    The heat/humidity and bugs and rocks and high prices all can cause a hiker to flip the hell in these states.

I say this, and screw anyone who gives you a hard time for the choice, if you hate the hike, if you are miserable and want to go home and are seriously planning on it, hitch or bus to CT or Mass and things will better. Sure it wont be a thru-hike, but who cares?

Its your journey, your life experience, your feet, your soul, your happiness, your time. And don’t worry if you decide to quit or move on if some uppity nosey POS give you a tough time because you skipped the three states to save time, heat, money, whatever.

And I only say do this if you are at the bus/train station ready to go. If you’re not going to do a ‘true thru’ then at least enjoy New England instead of spending more time batching and moaning in places you hate.

I started in March this year and made it almost to Erwin when I fell and broke my ankle. I have been at home recovering and rehabbing hard but I am slowly realizing I can't finish this year. I still have considerable pain after about 3 or 4 miles. It really pains me to not finish this year but I guess at 58 the bones don't heal as fast as when I was 20 something. I hope to try again next year but I may just start where I fell and move on from there.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralLee10 View Post
    1835 miles this year, 1st Family. If I were to do it again, the PCT would be the 1st longtrail choice. Why?, the views, the trail is more rewarding. Not that I have hiked on the PCT, this is what I've been told.
    Interesting thought but I will have to disagree.

PCT views are nice and there may be more of them (the trail is 500m longer) but "more rewarding" dosen't sound right to me.

Does every guy who has a gal prettier than yours have a more rewarding life?

Beauty is only skin deep and so are views. The real rewards of the trail come from within and you can find them equally on either trail.

For what it's worth, I've done a little walkin (about the same) on both of them.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Lion King View Post
    Cant stand the heat, get out of the mid-Atlantic states.

I warned some hikers this year when I was south bounding through some of PA and VA to trail days that the perfect dry weather they were having with nice clear days and cool temps would be a major problem for them in PA/NY/NJ and it is.

Now it is really hot, and has been, there is no water and the bugs from such a wet winter are at an all time high.
    The heat/humidity and bugs and rocks and high prices all can cause a hiker to flip the hell in these states.

I say this, and screw anyone who gives you a hard time for the choice, if you hate the hike, if you are miserable and want to go home and are seriously planning on it, hitch or bus to CT or Mass and things will better. Sure it wont be a thru-hike, but who cares?

Its your journey, your life experience, your feet, your soul, your happiness, your time. And don’t worry if you decide to quit or move on if some uppity nosey POS give you a tough time because you skipped the three states to save time, heat, money, whatever.

And I only say do this if you are at the bus/train station ready to go. If you’re not going to do a ‘true thru’ then at least enjoy New England instead of spending more time batching and moaning in places you hate.
    Great suggestions and post Lion King!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++