WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Images

Thumbs up Hike Your Way To A Better Body

Hike Your Way to a Better Body

A lot of climbing can burn a ton of calories!

by Jenny Hadfield | FNC iMag

Text Size

Recommend this Story (#Comments)
    Comments (16) Details

Treadmill, schmeadmill. Why coop yourself up? Head out into the fresh air and hike yourself slim, toning your legs and butt in the process. No need to spend the entire weekend wandering through the woods, either—just one hour of hiking torches more than 400 calories. Here’s what you need to know before you go.
    Pick a Trail

Find one near you at Trails.com. Be sure to factor in more time when tackling steep terrain—hiking uphill takes about twice as long. To stay safe, bring a friend.
    Gear Up

Trade in your sneaks for a lightweight yet sturdy trail shoe, like Merrell Siren Sync ($90; Merrell.com)—you need those thick rubber soles that grip the ground to help prevent nasty spills and guard feet against sharp roots and jagged rocks.
    Other essentials: water, light snack (like granola), cell phone, ID, trail map, mini first-aid kit, hat, sunscreen, and a light jacket in case of rain or a drop in temp. A bonus pick: trekking poles (try WalkingPoles.com). They boost your burn by up to 40 percent by working your upper body and helping you move more quickly.
    Help your Bod

Post hike, do a few minutes of down-dog (start in push-up position and press your body up into an inverted V) to loosen calves, hamstrings, hips, and shoulders, and help stay ache-free.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

And stay away from AYCE places when you finish!

I gained 2 pounds after 50 miles in three days last year. I don't think Fatty's in Damascus had anything to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasEd View Post
    I gained 2 pounds after 50 miles in three days last year. I don't think Fatty's in Damascus had anything to do with it.
    Man I hiked 800 miles, through the Whites and all, averaging 20 miles a day and finished 7-8 lbs heavier than when I started!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Man I hiked 800 miles, through the Whites and all, averaging 20 miles a day and finished 7-8 lbs heavier than when I started!

Well, doesn't muscle weigh more than fat?

No, a pound of muscle and a pound of fat both weigh 16 ounces.

Muscle is denser than fat but weighs the same.....

But 5 pounds of muscle will sure make you look a lot better than 5 pounds of fat will.

Images

Gees. We're always being told that "muscle weighs more than fat" if we'd just exercise more. Okay, so "muscle is denser than fat." I agree.

If two things occupy the same amount of space, but one has a higher density than it will weigh more.

One thing to remember is that the weight gained from increased muscle mass is a relatively slow process compared to weight loss from decreased fat. If you start a workout regimen and notice a weight increase after a week that's not muscle.

You ever notice that the heaviest people are fat not muscular.

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    If two things occupy the same amount of space, but one has a higher density than it will weigh more.
    Yes, but that's a matter of volume - not weight.

If you go to the grocery store and buy a pound of ham and a pound of potato salad they measure by weight - not the size of the container.

Yes, but that's a matter of volume - not weight.

If you go to the grocery store and buy a pound of ham and a pound of potato salad they measure by weight - not the size of the container.
    My only point was that this is probably why you hear that muscle weighs more than fat - muscle has more mass. I'm surely not saying that 16 ounces of muscle is heavier than 16 ounces of fat.

One thing to remember is that the weight gained from increased muscle mass is a relatively slow process compared to weight loss from decreased fat. If you start a workout regimen and notice a weight increase after a week that's not muscle.

Over the course of my most recent 5-day bicycle tour I gained 5 pounds (based on dehydrated just-woke-up-in-the-morning weight). That's a pound a day. My skin-pinch was the same but my legs sure felt a lot more solid.

You can tell me it wasn't muscle, but I sure don't think it was fat.

Quote Originally Posted by Danielsen View Post
    Over the course of my most recent 5-day bicycle tour I gained 5 pounds (based on dehydrated just-woke-up-in-the-morning weight). That's a pound a day. My skin-pinch was the same but my legs sure felt a lot more solid.

You can tell me it wasn't muscle, but I sure don't think it was fat.
    I can lose one pound after a good piss.

I wonder how one's leg circumference would increase after adding 5lbs of muscle mass.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-the-...fat-weight.htm

An excerpt:

Another reason that you should begin lifting weights as soon as possible in the weight loss process is because muscle weight does not develop overnight. The smaller muscles, such as the biceps, can show results from diligent workouts in as little as a month. For the larger muscle groups, such as your hamstrings or quadriceps, it can take three to four months to see visible changes in the muscles. If you wait until you lose all of the weight you want to before beginning a weight loss program, it may be a year or more before you see results.

It makes sense to build muscles for reasons other than wanting to look good in a tank top. Performing weight bearing exercise, such as weight lifting, can decrease your risk of developing osteoporosis. Replacing fat with muscle mass is also healthier for your heart. Strengthening your muscles can also slow many of the difficulties of aging, such as mobility problems. Regardless of your reasons, replacing fat weight with muscle weight is a worthwhile endeavor.

I can lose one pound after a good piss.
    Like I said, just-woke-up-took-a-piss-haven't-hydrated-yet weight. That's when I measure when I'm tracking my weight.

I wonder how one's leg circumference would increase after adding 5lbs of muscle mass.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-the-...fat-weight.htm
    Well, to quote the link you provide, "Muscle weight is very compact. One pound of muscle does not take up much room."

So probably not much different. ~5 lbs. distributed between two sets of calves, quads, and glutes... the quads did look a little bigger but that could have been psychological.

An excerpt:

Another reason that you should begin lifting weights as soon as possible in the weight loss process is because muscle weight does not develop overnight. The smaller muscles, such as the biceps, can show results from diligent workouts in as little as a month. For the larger muscle groups, such as your hamstrings or quadriceps, it can take three to four months to see visible changes in the muscles. If you wait until you lose all of the weight you want to before beginning a weight loss program, it may be a year or more before you see results.

It makes sense to build muscles for reasons other than wanting to look good in a tank top. Performing weight bearing exercise, such as weight lifting, can decrease your risk of developing osteoporosis. Replacing fat with muscle mass is also healthier for your heart. Strengthening your muscles can also slow many of the difficulties of aging, such as mobility problems. Regardless of your reasons, replacing fat weight with muscle weight is a worthwhile endeavor.
    I wonder how much individual physiology varies these facts (after all, any general statements like these can only be based on averages and don't encompass the full range of human variation). When I started practicing planche positions (a gymnast technique) my triceps were noticeably bigger and more solid within a week (I was a highschool westler back then, and my mat partner noticed and asked what I did). My calves are shaped differently now 10 days after starting back into my running regimen. When I don't excersize something I also start to lose mass and tone very quickly.

Possibly for others the same changes take significantly longer than the article describes. All I know is for me the changes happen fast and stay that way as long as I keep up the activity. If I don't, they reverse themselves quickly.

Daniel Son,

I didn’t mean to insinuate that because you added 5 lbs of muscle mass, supposedly, that you should see a size difference in your legs, after all we’re only talking 5 lbs or 2.5 in each leg. I was just thinking out loud – I often do that, I know it’s a bad habit.

And you’re right about everybody being different and that link is probably based on averages…I don’t know I’m no physical therapist or anything. I only know (what little I know) from what I read. However, I’m sure a lot of factors come into play.

If you look at this link you’ll notice that gaining muscle mass is not quick and easy. And this is a weightlifting site. By cycling you were participating in primarily an aerobic activity. So to gain 5lbs of muscle mass in that type of activity (in only 5 days) you would, 1. Have to have a slender body type, because heavier sets (like myself) quickly drop fat in these types of activities. 2. You would had to have eaten a lot of calories and protein.

I remember my first bike trip I did (years ago). It was a 3-week trip and the last 300 miles was through the mountains. At one point my legs were so sore that I could barely bend down – extreme pain and stiffness. However, after that trip my legs also felt steely, but in the end I had a net weight drop. I’m sure I gained some muscle, but not sure how much, but doubt it was even 5lbs, but no doubt that the muscle I did have tightened up.

If you maintain that you gained 5lbs of muscle, then I say, Roger That. I won’t argue it anymore. Like I said, I’m no expert in this area.

If you do gain muscle mass that quickly then you’re probably a freak and can make some money at it. Maybe you should take up bodybuilding

http://www.gain-weight-muscle-fast.c...scle-gain.html

Excerpt:

It has been my experience that beginning trainers will typically gain at the rate of 1-2 lbs. of muscle per week when following intelligent mass gain strategy. Some will be able to gain at a faster rate (I was closer to 3 lbs. a week when I first started training with a well-designed program) and others will gain at a slightly slower rate.

But, ALL trainers who diet and train reasonably well will be able to easily bust the 5-15 lbs. per year myth. I am yet to encounter one who couldn't.

This isn't to suggest that anyone can continuously gain 1-2 lbs. of muscle per week for as long as they want and be ready for the IFBB in a few years. The easiest pound of muscle to gain is the first one. From there it gets progressively harder as you close in on your genetic potential. If you continue training you may some day reach an advanced level where 5-15 lbs. per year will be an acceptable gain.

But, rest assured, very few trainers ever get to the place where they can even sniff their genetic potential.

Images

nice job ruining the party smartguy.....
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

You are right John. In order to change ones physical makeup it is never an easy process. Building muscle takes a lot of time, energy, and perserverance. That's what is so much fun about it! If it was easy, everyone would look muscular and defined, which we see obviousely is not the case. The benefits of building muscle, however, are great. One of the nicest things about people who have a lot of muscle is that if they overeat occasionaly, it will just get used up by the muscle in their body. When the fat person overeats, it will usually just be drawn into their fat reserves, making them even fatter. This is where we here muscle weighs more than fat. It isn't a pound of fat vs. a pound of muscle. Obviousely they would weigh the same. It is because muscle is an active tissue. Fat is not. Muscle weighs(by volume) more than fat. So someone with a lean, mean muscular physic of the same height can easily weigh the same as someone who is larger but fat.

"... you need those thick rubber soles that grip the ground to help prevent nasty spills and guard feet against sharp roots and jagged rocks."

I've never had any trouble with sharp roots.

[Exercise and eat less = lose weight.]

Images

Amazing, none of the anti-pole people have jumped into the fray to try to disprove the article's assertion that using poles increases the workout and "boost the burn" by 40%.

Just thought I'd throw a little chum in the water........

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Baggins View Post
    Amazing, none of the anti-pole people have jumped into the fray to try to disprove the article's assertion that using poles increases the workout and "boost the burn" by 40%.

Just thought I'd throw a little chum in the water........
    I am the Leki guy...using poles Can burn more energy..but Trekking poles are designed to reduce the effort and distribute the impact.
    Nordic Walking poles are designed to enhance the workout and use slender grips to enhance the grip/release effort.
    The poles suggested appear to be a hybred between hiking and exercise.

Can you get exercise with trekking poles..of course 8)
    Can you use nordic walking poles on the trail, yes, but not as well or safely on the downhills...pointy top grip..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++