WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Default Directions to Iron Mt. Gap

I'm trying to figure out how to get to Iron Mt. Gap from Erwin...

It looks like TN 107 crosses the trail at the state line and becomes NC 226 on the NC side..

Is this the trailhead for Iron Mt. Gap? Seems like when I hiked this section Iron Mt Gap was a dirt rd....

Images

Yep, just turn at Unicoi and go up the mountain. There is a parking area by the dirt road.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Just drive north on Main Ave from Erwin into Unicoi following TN 107, which turns into Unicoi Drive. You will probably see signs for Limestone Cove and Buladeen, so turn there. If you pass Clarence's and the USFS office you gone too far.

You will go past USFS Work Center, Limestone Cove Rec Area, an old gas station, then up the mountain passing Red Fork Road/Unaka Mountain Road. You will head to the top to the state line & USFS sign. Nobo trail is right next to the gate. The Sobo trail is on the TN side of the turnout.

Let me know if you want info on other trails in the area. Red Fork Falls, Stamping Ground, Dicks Creek, Rocky Fork, Lost Cove, and Ephiram Place.
    Last edited by Tennessee Viking; 07-23-2010 at 19:34.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Images

Red Fork Falls is cool. I heard that there is a trail that takes you to the bottom of the falls. Do you know if this is true? I heard it starts somewhere around Simmerly [sp] road. Or is that where the stomping ground trail comes out....

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Viking View Post
    Just drive north on Main Ave from Erwin into Unicoi following TN 107, which turns into Unicoi Drive. You will probably see signs for Limestone Cove and Buladeen, so turn there. If you pass Clarence's and the USFS office you gone too far.
    So does the trail cross TN 107 or do you have to turn off 107 onto another road?

Images

It crosses the highway at the pullout.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    So does the trail cross TN 107 or do you have to turn off 107 onto another road?
    There is a small gravel road at the turnout but there is no need to use it anymore. It goes up about a half mile and you can park at an earthen mound then take a small access to the trail. The trail actually used to cross the gravel road here, but due to a dangerous/awkward crossing at TN 107, and some heavy ATV/horse traffic, the trail was routed straight across.

Quote Originally Posted by dmax View Post
    Red Fork Falls is cool. I heard that there is a trail that takes you to the bottom of the falls. Do you know if this is true? I heard it starts somewhere around Simmerly [sp] road. Or is that where the stomping ground trail comes out....
    There is a Sally Cove Falls down Simmerly Creek about a mile from 19E on a Burns-Barry I think.

But Red Fork falls is fairly easy to get to the trailhead. Go up toward Iron Mtn Gap from Limestone Cove. Turn on Red Fork Road. There are USFS scenic signs pointing for the turn for Unaka Mountain. You will go up the road 1.3 miles. On the right, you will see a small turnout with red paint boudary markers. Park here. And walk down the old road. This is where people get confused. There are two quick fords, and you want to stay to the right. And you will see a small trail following down stream. You come to a small cascade. Then it will open up to Red Fork Falls. BE VERY CAUTIOUS HERE!!! People have died here. Its a steep 60 foot climb down rocks, roots, and stumps. But its well worth it when water is flowing well.

http://maps.google.com/maps?rlz=1T4G...N&hl=en&tab=wl

I could only find the trailhead for Stamping Ground Ridge on top of Unaka. From my books, the trailhead down in Limestone Cove was lost to private property. And now sits back along Shell Lane (pvt lane). Or bushwhack through the roadside wooded area between Bell Cemetary and Simmerly Road. One book said to go talk to the people at the RV park or gas station to get exact directions/permissions.

Limestone Cove Trail is probably the better accessible trail. Or use Rattlesnake Ridge Trail from Rock Creek.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Images

Those rocks at the falls are slicker than snot. I almost made a life changing mistake once when I went out on them for a picture ... I never do that again!!!

Springer-->Stony Brook Road VT MedicineMan's Avatar
    Images

many deaths over the years at Red Fork Falls...cuidado
    Start out slow, then slow down.

Any problems parking there for the day? I'm going to ride up in the morning I think.

Images

I've never heard of any problems during the day. You should be alright.

Sounds good.... So I'm just going up 107 until I get to the state line and look for a pullout - right?

Quote Originally Posted by dmax View Post
    Those rocks at the falls are slicker than snot. I almost made a life changing mistake once when I went out on them for a picture ... I never do that again!!!
    Be very careful, Lost a friend up there a few years back. She slipped off the top. If you keep walking down the creek, it will come out @ the water works on hwy107 @ Redfork Creek Bridge. I used to fish it many years ago. There's lots of off the trail places in the area that are cool.

Sounds good.... So I'm just going up 107 until I get to the state line and look for a pullout - right?
    that would be correct, there's a gravel road to the right and the Trail on the left, which leads through Clark Town area.

also, Next week, I will be back home. I'll try to snap some pics and post here.

Thanks - I've been up there a dozen times at least now...

cool.. I like to go there on the Hottest of Days, The water will still turn your manberries Blue..lol
    T.V. Sally Cove Creek is off of HWY173 (Simerly Creek Rd) Heading from Limestone Cove to 19E you will make a right on Fairview Rd and keep on it for a few miles then hit Falls Rd. Another Option off the Trail os to come through Clark Town not far from the TN NC trail crossing on hwy 107. It isn't too far off the trail once you get near Clark Town.

++ New Posts ++