WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Images

Default mahoosuc notch beta

Im planning on section hiking the AT SOBO from grafton Notch to Gorham, going sol0. As much as I've heard about the difficulty of Mahoosic Notch NOBO, I'd appreciate any feedback on this section SOBO

2010 complete

primitive camp at the north end of the notch. have a huge breakfast and tackle it first thing in the morning. I actually enjoyed the obstacle course.

On a section hike of that part of the AT take your time and watch your footing while proceeding through the notch.

2010 complete

be careful descending Old Speck.

Its not "difficult" its just "slow". Big difference.

Garlic
    Images

Some hikers can waltz right through there in less than 45 minutes, some can take up to six hours. A lot depends on how comfortable you are on top of the rocks. If you can confidently and safely stay on top (some exposure and some Class III moves), it's fast. If you have to crawl through below on the "ground", pulling your pack behind you, it's slow.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

I think max patch said it right. It is slow going but not difficult. Going down the Mahoosuc Arm was more difficult to me. (Stress on the knees.) I camped on the northern end and did it first thing the next morning. It can be slippery but I enjoyed it. One of the more fun sections I've done.
    Former screen name was Marathon_man.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

It took me an hour to get through in the rain - it's not that bad. I stayed at the shelter about a mile south and went through it first thing in the morning when I was fresh.

As soon as you get through that you've got a big climb that'll make you forget all about it.
    Last edited by 10-K; 07-24-2010 at 17:28.

It's not too difficult. It's more accurate to say it can be slow going. You can mainly stay on top of the various sized rocks/boulders(some of which are the size of large automobiles/trucks) which can be slippery, rounded on top, and slanted which provides a faster go at it but also have a greater risk of possibly taking a nasty fall and occasionally walking/sneaking/crawling through the various sized boulders or doing some combination that you feel comfortable with. If it's wet or icy take your time!!!

After you get through the notch safely you'll have a greater appreciation of how rats feel in maze!!! feel!

But I believe, yes I believe, I said I believe
    Images

The notch is not hard, it just consumes more time than your typical mile does. It's fun because it's different.

Images

I went through SOBO last month and was apprehensive due to all the hype. It was a rainy, foggy day, I was by myself and it took me 1 hr, 45 min. because of the wet rocks - I made a mental note to watch out for the black rocks, they are smoother and greasy compared to the grey or white ones. The notch is not any harder that any single little scramble on the trail I encountered it is just continuous. I ended up taking my pack off twice. Pay close attention to the white blazes which in some cases are directional arrows, you can waste time getting off the trail (you can't get loose the trail too badly unless you play mountain goat). I stayed at Old Speck the night before and Full Goose shelter the night after only because it was a very wet day. The climb up Old Speck is not bad just take it slow. There is a beautiful brook that you cross as you descend the Arm (SOBO) - good place to get water. All in all I had a blast - it was really cool (no pun intended) to pass through thermoclines and fog from the ice and snow. It was mystical. Don't worry about, it is fun. Hope this helps.

One thing I have learned is that every "difficult" mile is actually very easy. "It's just walking," after all.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I hope to pass cover this section in September with a few college buds. Can't wait!
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Man View Post
    One thing I have learned is that every "difficult" mile is actually very easy. "It's just walking," after all.
    I completely agree. The only trail you have to hike is the one right in front of you. Whatever is past that just takes up head space and often as not creates dread.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Migrating Bird View Post
    I made a mental note to watch out for the black rocks, they are smoother and greasy compared to the grey or white ones.
    Sage. Works in the rest of Maine, too.

Going across the top of the boulders is the way to travel. Go slow and steady. Nice and cool in there on a hot day.

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mudhead View Post
    ...Nice and cool in there on a hot day.
    Oh, yes. I walked on some snow in there in July '08. Right by the dead moose ("Ernie").
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

It is a bit like a puzzle and sometimes you have to really figure out where to go and what to do next. Short people have a harder time than tall people. I wouldn't want to try it in rain or if it were all covered with snow.

Images

Thanks, guys,I appreciate all the feedback. looks like I'll be having a lot of fun. I've done plenty of 3rd class scrambles, so it should be a blast, Like you say, theres been a lot of hype about how difficult it is, so I'm just hoping for good weather..

Images

I did a SOBO section hike through the notch last summer. I spent the night before at Speck Pond and after tackling the notch stopped at Full Goose when a heavy storm rolled in. I was more worried about Mahoosuc Arm than the notch. Just take your time and watch your foot placements carefully and you'll be fine. Hiking poles were a big help going down the arm too. The notch was just pure fun to me - I love the bouldering stuff. There's probably a good chance you'll find some other SOBO's at Speck Pond if you stop there.

Splitting time between Utah and Maryland and a lot of off the wall places in this world.

I did the "Notch" last year S to N in cold, pouring rain and managed it in 2 hrs and 2 minutes. I was glad to have it behind me, but was pissed at myself for working myself into a frenzy for a day or two in advance due to all the hype I'd heard/read about. Don't listen to it.

Its a rock scramble, but if you go slow you'll have no real difficulty. I was 51, with sore knees and bandaged feet (but a sub 30 lb pack On my best day I don't resemble even an old mountain goat and the issue, once stuck into it, was never in doubt. Slowly, slowly catchee monkey....

The climb out up Old Speck was harder than the notch for my money.

Try to remember to have fun.

Lemhi

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++