WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by stranger View Post
    First off, no one is keeping their feet dry on a Long .
    Actually I've done pretty well on my two E2E hikes. I've had them wet for days on end, but dry for stretches of more than a week as well.

Quote Originally Posted by stranger View Post
    First off, no one is keeping their feet dry on a Long Trail thru-hike, taking waterproof boots in the hope of minimizing wet feet is a fairly lost cause.
    Quote Originally Posted by pedxing View Post
    Actually I've done pretty well on my two E2E hikes. I've had them wet for days on end, but dry for stretches of more than a week as well.
    Same here.

If you hiking for a week in torrential rain, you are going to have wet feet. Waterproof boots will keep you drier thru the light rain and smaller puddles and keep you from tearing up the trail around them.

AT, NOBO, start Aug 18 in GA, strong ankles, no muscle/ligament/back/leg/bone issues, UL to light wt pack = dialed in trailrunners!

Wait! LT, all the same = dialed in trailrunners!

I haven't seen it mentioned here, so I'll add that there is a world of difference beween low top hikers and trail runners.
    True trail runners don't have the lateral support of the low top hikers, and often have thinner soles which are less deeply lugged.
    I've used both, plus light and heavy, Goretex and non, heavy hiking boots.
    Currently I'm using trail runners because I've found some that are comfortable (and you can't beat the light weight).
    I may do my end-to-end in my New Balance street runners - just because........
    Grandma Gatewood thruhiked the AT several times in Keds canvas sneakers, using both low and high topped versions.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

A good number of distance hikers mention "foot problems" here at WB, and I'm wondering how many of these are stress/overuse fractures. The question of comfort aside, a stiffer sole seems to keep the foot from flexing so much on every step--is that setting the foot up for a problem if you change from boots to sneakers/trailrunners?

Anyone have solid information about this?

"A good number of distance hikers mention "foot problems" here at WB, and I'm wondering how many of these are stress/overuse fractures. The question of comfort aside, a stiffer sole seems to keep the foot from flexing so much on every step--is that setting the foot up for a problem if you change from boots to sneakers/trailrunners?"
    I can tell you that I had sore feet most of the AT until they just got to numb to hurt anymore. In 2006 I switched to Saloman trail Runners and hike most weeks 3 seasons in NH in them. Backpacked for 3 nights in the Grand Canyon this spring with no problems. And, my feet took a year to recover but are very happy hikers in the trail runners. Should have listened to Ray Jardine before my AT thru hike. BTW I did all VT 4000' on the long trail in them also.

hmm... sorry that post last seems confusing. I hiked the AT in boots. Have since used only trail runners both in NH and Maine including the knife edge.

I just returned from about a week on the LT - all in the northern half of the trail. There was a stretch where it was very rainy and wet and the trail was muddy, swampy, etc.

At the shelters at night, there was all kinds of footwear represented. During these days, it wasn't about being dry, as whether you had boots or trail runners your feet were soaked completely and the next morning your footwear was still wet.

The bigger issue was safety. I was wearing Asics trail runners and I was slipping and falling a lot. To the point where it was dangerous. However, when I got into camp at night, everyone was saying they were slipping and falling - regardless of what kind of footwear they were wearing.

So ... to me the criteria for footwear have changed, with keeping dry way down the list. Number one is comfort and blister prevention, but number two is how well the shoes will grip on wet rocks.

Anyone got recommendations for footwear that perform remarkably well on wet, mossy rocks??

Quote Originally Posted by StealthHikerBoy View Post
    I just returned from about a week on the LT - all in the northern half of the trail. There was a stretch where it was very rainy and wet and the trail was muddy, swampy, etc.

At the shelters at night, there was all kinds of footwear represented. During these days, it wasn't about being dry, as whether you had boots or trail runners your feet were soaked completely and the next morning your footwear was still wet.

The bigger issue was safety. I was wearing Asics trail runners and I was slipping and falling a lot. To the point where it was dangerous. However, when I got into camp at night, everyone was saying they were slipping and falling - regardless of what kind of footwear they were wearing.

So ... to me the criteria for footwear have changed, with keeping dry way down the list. Number one is comfort and blister prevention, but number two is how well the shoes will grip on wet rocks.

Anyone got recommendations for footwear that perform remarkably well on wet, mossy rocks??
    See my comment on the Asics trail runners above - not enough contact area to work well on slick rock. I love the fit and weight but hate the traction. I had better luck with my New Balance STREET running shoes on Camel's Hump last weekend after a heavy rain the previous night. I will probably start the LT sobo hike in them, and have something else mailed to me if they don't work out the first few days.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

I would really like to find a happy medium between trail runners and boots, as I really like the ankle support of boots but really like the "nothing on my feet" feeling of trail runners.

I use Vasque Breeze GTX "boots". I use the term "boots" loosely. These are very lightweight boots, not much heavier than typical trail runners. I also use Montrail Hardrock trail runners at times. The Vasque Breeze give much better ankle support on rocky-tree root terrain. I've slipped and fallen in both, and I've donated blood to Blood Mtn rocks, Roan Mtn and Unaka Mtn rocks and tree roots on falls. The biggest slip/fall hazard for me in May and June on the AT was the wet, hard packed clay in some sections of the trail when going downhill on steep slopes.... that damp/wet clay was like ice and when you plant your foot, it would often slide out from under you and down you go.

I think the AT or the LT will give hikers their share of slips/falls no matter what you wear.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by StealthHikerBoy View Post
    I jsut re-read this: nothing does well on wet, mossy rocks! However, for my money, the grippiest soles I've ever had are on my old New Balance trail runners, and the newer ones are almost as good.

To the OP, IMHO, trail runners or low hiking shoes are best. I don't think I'll ever hike in boots again, unless I plan to be slogging through untrailed swamp, as in the Adirondacks. Save the boots for winter. YMMV

Images

After rolling my ankle on our attempted NOBO End-to-End this summer, and getting a new pain in my arch that I have never felt before, I have decided to go back to my Asolo 520's for backpacking. The trail runners feel great but they just didn't cut it for me, thus ending our hike which was a huge bummer. It just comes down to what works best for you...

has anyone ever tired trail runners with an neoprene ankle wrap?

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jlore View Post
    has anyone ever tired trail runners with an neoprene ankle wrap?
    This is exactly what I do on my left foot for hiking and trail running. Don't need it on my right foot. Works great. I wear it on the outside of my sock rather than pulling my sock over it.

Like so:

Images

Trail runners, even in winter they work greaqt with a thick sock!

Images

Question ankle support

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon View Post
    After rolling my ankle on our attempted NOBO End-to-End this summer, and getting a new pain in my arch that I have never felt before, I have decided to go back to my Asolo 520's for backpacking. The trail runners feel great but they just didn't cut it for me, thus ending our hike which was a huge bummer. It just comes down to what works best for you...
    I was wondering if I was going to see such a post. I have notoriously weak ankles ( rollers ) and I was wondering If hikers like me have prolems with the trail runners?

I've turned my ankle alot, trail running in the woods and even just walking in town. It's no picnic, especially when moving agressively and carrying extra weight, including extra body weight. Some sort of ankle support is often justified. I don't think it should be done all the time though. I think everyone should undertake some activities that strengthen there feet and ankles in addition to activities where ankles and feet need more protection. If you need ankle protection for all of you hiking you should probably look into reducing your pack weight, and and doing some day hikes without a pack to strengthen things up while dropping some more body weight. For a thru-hike, that's alot of hiking, so I would want to do most of that without too much ankle support. I would lighten my pack and drop my body weight and strengthen things up as much as possible before starting. I wouldn't let it stop me though. I would start off with more ankle support if neccessary, but not so much that I wouldn't be getting stronger as I hiked further along. By the time I got down to a good hiking weight I would definitely want to be able to hike in some light leather ankle boots at the very most.

I think alot of trouble though is not trail runners vs boots.
    Most trail runners are heavier than neccessary without providing ankle support. What's worse, is they often have a thicker sole than neccessary for cushion and rigidity, which makes the risks of ankle injuries more serious. I would first look to a trail runners or running shoe with sufficient cushion and protection, but without an excessively thick sole and tread. If that did not provide enough protection again turned ankles, I would then turn to a light ankle boot or ankle moccassin, also with a thinner and lighter tread than what most hiking boots offer. You need some cushion, and rigidity, and traction, but most boots like most trail runners are way too high off the ground, and this not only adds unneccessary weight, but also makes the risk of turned ankle more likely, and more serious. If an even higher and heavier and more rigid boot is needed, I would still stick with simple unpadded leather and I would still keep the bottom sole and tread as low to the ground as possible, certainly lower than what most people sell.

The thing to bear in mind is the whether light trial runners or heavy boots, most are NOT made with your best interests in mind, they are made to sell, with their best profit in mind. They two are not mutually exclusive, but they are not very well correllated either. 99% of consumer products, including performance sports equipment, is designed to look sexy, like peacock tail feathers. The Peacock's tail feathers are not there to make the peacock fitter. The Peacock's tail feather are there to advertising the fact that the peacock is an idiot, but must be fit to survive despite being such an idiot.

So wear peacock feathers if you wish, but make sure you are fit enough to wear them.

The heavier the backpack the heavier the footwear. I wear trail shoes on day hikes and occasional overnight trips. Non-Gortex Leather boots for everything else. I calculate the cost of trail shoes ends up being greater than a good pair of Italian made, Norwegian welt boots that can be resoled several or more times, assuming somebody like Dave Page Cobblers in Seattle is doing the work.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++