WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: bear alert

Default bear alert

There is currently..as of late July 2010, a bear alert in the White Mountain National Forest in New Hampshire. This means that those hikers that may have slacked off on proper food storage had better get serious about it again. Use bear boxes if provided or do a bear hang.

Signs say that bears have followed hikers and even entered tents when food was left in them. Signs also say that people who are caught not storing food properly can face stiff fines (up to 5000 dollars).

DavidNH

AT 2012

signs..... where?
    Lazarus

Images

Default Signs

Quote Originally Posted by 1azarus View Post
    signs..... where?
    I haven't seen signs but I was given this card: See Below.
    I lived in Meriden and worked in Wallingford for 9 years and never saw a bear.
    You are probably safe there.

Default Relax

The latest news release I've been able to find on this was dated several weeks ago.

It pointedly says nothing about large fines or the risk for same.

Should one use caution, prudence, and common sense in bear country?

Absolutely.

Are there more bears out than usual in some parts of New Hampshire?

Yes.

Is there a good chance that someone's gonna be dinged $5,000 for not bear bagging in the Granite State anytime soon?

No, there isn't.

And if it's ever happened, I'd love to hear about it. We're talking about a Federal statute that was originally designed to apply to the West. Other than the Smokies and Shenandoah Park, I've never heard of anyone being cited, admonished, fined, or otherwise punished on the A.T. for alleged improper food handling/storage.

In short, cautioning people is fine. Alarming people, not so fine. The chance of anyone getting whacked five grand in New Hampshire for not bear-bagging is about zero.

for those who didn't click the link i posted earlier this official notice specifically details the bear warning and potential for a $5,000 fine.

AT 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Wildman View Post
    I haven't seen signs but I was given this card: See Below.
    I lived in Meriden and worked in Wallingford for 9 years and never saw a bear.
    You are probably safe there.
    sure. the bears probably chased you out of town.
    Lazarus

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    In short, cautioning people is fine. Alarming people, not so fine.
    But spreading fear is soooo much fun. An obsession and tradition about bears here on White Blaze.

Default the bear alert

well signs are posted at Pinkham Notch visitor center and at lincoln woods ranger station and possibly other places.

I was trying to provide a public service not alarm people. yeah I doubt any hiker would face the 5000 $ fine. Most hikers..by the time they get up here have a system down and keep a clean camp. Still it can't hurt to advise folks.

David

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jay View Post
    But spreading fear is soooo much fun. An obsession and tradition about bears here on White Blaze.
    Noobs are afraid of bears. Their friends only spread the fear... "you are doing what?? Aren't you afraid of getting eaten by a bear?!" One friend who said that to me has been mugged several times in NYC. Doh!

When someone asks if I am afraid of bears, I generally say 'no, but I am afraid of getting in a car accident before I get to the trail and will be praying you don't get run over while I am out there in the relative safety of the trail.'

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Man View Post
    One friend who said that to me has been mugged several times in NYC. Doh!
    Great now the Bear Terrorists will be seeing bears in NYC.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNH View Post
    Still it can't hurt to advise folks.

David
    Do you bear "advice" guys have a system so you keep one active at all times?
    You do seem to take turns and vary the wording quite well, it's actually impressive.

Journal Entries
    Images

I would almost be willing to bet, the food that is being taken. Is from folks that hardly ever get out to hike/camp. This in return, makes for people that do not know basic tips for dealing with the food.

Just my guess, correct me if I'm wrong.
    I don't know

The title of this article is "NM Bear Invasion Continues". The bears are getting the worst of it having 30 killed vs. 1 injured human as of last Friday. We have had 1 dog killed and eaten by a bear defending its owner so maybe it looks as if "dogs" may be protection but a "dog" might not.

http://www.koat.com/news/24375436/detail.html#

Many NM mountain ranges pop up in the middle of the desert - with limited "bear-able" areas. Those that are unable to stake and defend a territory are forced out into populated areas this time of year attracted by fruit trees....then one thing leads to another with their relationship to us humans.

I believe that they allow bow/cap and ball hunting but not enough to affect their numbers significantly.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNH View Post
    There is currently..as of late July 2010, a bear alert in the White Mountain National Forest in New Hampshire. This means that those hikers that may have slacked off on proper food storage had better get serious about it again. Use bear boxes if provided or do a bear hang.

Signs say that bears have followed hikers and even entered tents when food was left in them. Signs also say that people who are caught not storing food properly can face stiff fines (up to 5000 dollars).

DavidNH
    Thanks for posting that.

Journal Entries
    Images

Here is a link on the black bear harvest in NH. http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Hunt..._hunt_take.htm I took particular note that a small number were harvested with the help of hounds. I've seen sportsmen use that time-honored technique down south, but never in New Hampshire. Has anyone seen evidence of that sport along the AT north of PA? Looks like most bear were taken with bait, though. That increases the yield of the harvest and probably cuts down on the time walking in the woods as well, so why not?
    Last edited by rickb; 07-27-2010 at 19:04.

Default What a novel concept.....

Anyone seen evidence of folks hunting bears with hounds North of Pennsylvania?

Um, yeah, Rick.

Actually, such evidence exists.

Foe example, they've been bear hunting with dogs in Maine since around the 1650's.

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    Here is a link on the black bear harvest in NH. http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Hunt..._hunt_take.htm I took particular note that a small number were harvested with the help of hounds. I've seen sportsmen use that time-honored technique down south, but never in New Hampshire. Has anyone seen evidence of that sport along the AT north of PA? Looks like most bear were taken with bait, though. That increases the yield of the harvest and probably cuts down on the time walking in the woods as well, so why not?
    bears be hunted with dogs in verrrmaunt too. buncha bearanoia. sleep with yer food. you won't see no bear

This is true. And thanks to areas where bear hunting is permitted and deemed warranted, you'll see even fewer.

Conquer your fears and leave them at home.

Images

I camped at Ethan Pond Campsite in June, there was a bear sighting just north of there, the person who saw the bear was clearly frightened, I saw him the day after his sighting. He had hiked back to tell the caretaker. The caretaker set up a kitchen area complete with bear boxes and requested that everyone cook and eat in that area and use the boxes - worked for me, I camped at the site right across from the kitchen - I'm more afraid of mice, bees, spiders & such and come to think of it, they don't bother me all that much either, just love being outdoors in one of the most beautiful places in this country - don't let the fear and worry ruin you day(s).

For example, In May I shuttled Medicine Man throughout MA. He saw one bear while kayaking on Buckley Dunton Pond in Becket and a second coming down the trail toward him near Dalton. He said it was the first bear he's ever seen "on the trail" and was soo excited to have each of them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++