WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Registered User Sunshine Tami Jo's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Default Help with Gear List

Hi, everyone! I am a lone female hiker who will be hitting the trail in April 2011. I am trying to make a comprhensive (except for food and water) gear checklist and I'd love your input. I know the list is long but I am trying to think of positively everything. Will you please help me cull items I don't need and add items I may have overlooked? I have never done any sort of extended hike and I am trying to ensure my success. Obviously I want to be comfortale on and off the trail, and I know I will have to make some compromises, but I'm not sure where I should alter this list. I would be ever so grateful for any and all assistance.

Appalachian Train Gear List:

c Backpack with camelback insert: Osprey Xenon 85 Women's Backpack
    c Trekking poles: Black Diamond Trail Ergo Cork Trekking Poles
    c pack rain cover:
    c

SHELTER AND SLEEPING:
    c Tent: Tarptent Double Rainbow plus pole extender tips, tyvek groundsheet, and stuffsak
    c Sleeping Bag: Halo +25
    c Thermal sleeping bag liner
    c Sleeping pad: Thermarest Neo Air Mattress

FOOD AND HYDRATION:
    c Bear Vault: BV500
    c Stove: Jetboil personal cooking system
    c Fuel:
    c spork
    c long-handled spoon
    c coffee press cup
    c Water filter: Katadyn Hiker Pro Water Filter
    c

CLOTHING:
    c ____ pairs underwear (what kind???)
    c 2 sports bras (one to wear, one to pack)
    c 1 pair lightweight compression shorts in case I experience chafing
    c 1 pair convertible pants
    c Macabi skirt
    c 2 short-sleeve shirts (one to wear, one to pack)
    c long-sleeve shirt
    c MontBell Ultralight Thermawrap Insulated Parka </SPAN>
    c ___ pair socks (What kind??? Should I layer two pairs?)
    c rain pants
    c rain jacket
    c hat
    c gloves
    c should I bring thermal underclothes?
    c shoes: probably trailrunners, but what about camp shoes? water crossings?

TOILETRIES AND MISC. PERSONAL ITEMS:
    c Decomposing Field wipes (available at Wal-Mart)
    c Diva cup or tampons (need to check out the possibility of straight-though BCP to dodge the issue altogether)
    c disposable razor (yeah, I know...should skip the shaving altogether but I hate the way my legs feel when they get hairy)
    c shampoo
    c conditioner
    c Body Glide
    c hand sanitizer
    c deodorant
    c wide-tooth comb
    c brush
    c hair bands for braiding my hair
    c toothpaste
    c toothbrush
    c dental floss
    c toilet paper
    c tweezers
    c nail clippers
    c Dr. Bronners soap
    c towel: somewhere I read about a towel that can be found in the austomotive section at Wal-mart: small and lightweight but very absorbent

TOOLS:
    c headlamp or flashlight
    c lantern to journal by
    c cat hole shovel
    c compass (attached to pack, weighs virtually nothing)
    c knife or leatherman tool
    c Duct tape (have a couple of yards on my trekking poles)
    c Bic lighters
    c waterproof matches as backup
    c Toby’s Swedish fire steel )probably don’t need this but Toby wants to give me something for the trail)
    c rope,,,what kind and how much?

HEALTH AND SAFETY:
    c first-aid kit plus moleskin
    c whistle
    c bug spray: what kind? I am a major bug magnet!!!! My friends are always astounded
    c sunscreen
    c water treatment tablets (backup in case filter fails)

MISCELLANEOUS:
    c playing cards
    c journal with fine-tip writing implement
    c camera with charger, spare batteries, spare memory cards
    c ear plugs
    c MP3 player and charger
    c cell phone and charger
    c 2 bandanas
    c ID
    c Credit Cards
    c cash
    c Ziploc bags

Images

Looks like your pack will be Heavy, May want to use a Dry Sack instead of the BV500, Underwear - Anything but cotton, Socks - Wool/Poly blend? Again, Anything but cotton, Cotton is ok to use for sleeping, If you layer your socks you will want to use a liner sock, Like men's thin black dress socks for example, Thermal bottoms not a bad idea, I'm using Patagonia Capilene 3 Bottom and top for sleeping and cold weather layering if needed, Camp shoes, Only need if you will be lounging around camp, If you hike, eat and go to sleep, Camp shoes not needed, If you bring them, most use crocs or sandals or flip flops, Shampoo and conditioner=extra weight, The towel you mention is a Chamois for drying cars after washing, Could use that or sham wow, or a small pak towel, Toilet paper and wipes?, Headlamp and skip flashlight unless it is a small lightweight photon light or mini flashlight, Skip the lantern-use headlamp for reading, batteries last pretty long on low, like 200 hours, Shovel?, Lightweight plastic trowel maybe, Leatherman is good if it's a small one like the Squirt or micra, I carry a folding knife as well, Only need one bic lighter, Rope-either paracord or 2mm cord like reflective tent line cord-50 feet for bear bag is usually enough, Bug spray-Deet is real effective, The rest looks ok. It's really about what you are willing to carry on your back for hours a day over 2178 miles if you plan to Thru-Hike the A.T. My first pack weight was 55 pounds without food and water which was HEAVY!!, I dwindled it down to around 35 pounds and I'm trying to bring it down more.

Oh, Welcome to Whiteblaze

Real quick look. Like the Tyvek ground cloth, many won't. Reason you can use it under your Neo when sheltering.
    Socks smartwool, darn tough are some good ones
    Get rid of: compass, bear vault, either spork or spoon unless your a double fisted eater. x the filter go to drops, no need for compression shorts if you have body glide. Just a headlamp is fine no need for a lantern. Small knife only. X the shampoo and cond Dr B does it all.

Images

Bear Vault: BV500 - Just hang your food on the cables at the shelters
    long-handled spoon - Use your spork
    coffee press cup - Unless you really LOVE coffee
    Water filter: Katadyn Hiker Pro Water Filter - Personally I always bring this filter with me because I hate using chemicals but it seems like most people are using aqua mira these days. You can save a lot of weight and you wouldn't have to worry about maintaining your filter.
    shampoo & conditioner - You could just wait til you get to town
    rain pants - Not really going to do you much good unless you were leaving Springer in the middle of winter.
    wide-tooth comb & brush - Just wear your bandana
    towel - Bandana
    lantern - Use your headlamp
    cat hole shovel - Use you trekking poles or your heal
    waterproof matches - If your lighted failed you could borrow somebody elses
    whistle - You won't ever use it but if it makes you feel safer then bring it.
    Sunscreen - Its very shady on the AT
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.
    -Edward Abbey

You may want to correct your blog lone hiker.

Sounds like you have the right attitude though. Good suggestions here. ENJOY!

Journal Entries
    Images

Very thorough list. Some observations:

check the sternum strap on bp - the buckle might be a whistle - if not, take the whistle
    yes, bring long underwear - the top might be able to double as your long sleeve shirt
    layering socks is up to you - just make sure you always have one dry pr
    maps/guidebook
    something extra to hold water
    needle for draining blisters
    Swiss Army knife with tweezers and scissors - leave tweezers and nail clippers at home
    definitely sunscreen - no shade in Apr
    consider bouncing chargers

Concur:
    yes, camp shoes
    spoon or spork
    scrutinize your toiletries - most of that smell/look nice stuff is not necessary
    leave bear vault
    50 ft of cord instead of bear vault - most shelters DO NOT have cables
    Dr B's can double as shampoo - and you don't need much of it
    only one lightsource

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

Journal Entries

My niece will join me for up to one month, in all probability no more. I, however, hope to continue on, so for the majority of my hike I will be solo. But thanks for being so observant.

Don't over analyze it. This is really the only list you need (here). Adjust for Summer and you're all set.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by tamijo View Post
    My niece will join me for up to one month, in all probability no more. I, however, hope to continue on, so for the majority of my hike I will be solo. But thanks for being so observant.
    My guess is you will meet some great folks to hike with, but I know what you mean.

Just messin w/ ya.

Default Step Right Up......

You'll pick up a trail family in no time. It's sorta like traveling with the circus. You'll have a blast.

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    Don't over analyze it. This is really the only list you need (here). Adjust for Summer and you're all set.

Good luck.
    Great list for a light packweight. Unfortunately, seems to me just a little "too" light for my tastes in winter. Doesn't even suggest bringing long pants. I think for the coldest months one needs also to not underestimate the possibility of extreme weather unfolding, so one doesn't get in a situation where they have too little clothes and wind up dangerousely unprepared.

Images

I know this sounds nitpicky, but how many bands do you need to braid your hair? I just use the same ones while I'm on the trail. Take em out, brush your hair and put em back in!

How about a heavy-duty or contractor garbage bag or trash compactor bag as a pack liner? You might be able to get one from a janitor so you don't have to buy a box. A pack cover isn't good enough when it rains all day for days and you really need to keep your stuff dry. I also use waterproof stuff sacks for my clothes, sleeping bag, food--O.R. Hydrolite--but you could use turkey roasting bags or whatever. You definitely want a dry sleeping bag and dry clothes and food though.

Don't even think about the bear vault for the A.T., just use a waterproof food bag and some cord to throw if you need to. Learn this:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...technique.html

I wouldn't have cotton anything, even for sleeping, you may need to wear all your clothes in a cold, wet emergency. Stick with wool, silk, or artificial fibers.

Don't need spork and spoon.

Don't need multiple lighters, matches, and a fire steel. Two is enough, maybe even two of the mini Bics. Usually there are other people around if your lighter doesn't work so the back up is really for emergencies.

Probably sounds silly to say that you don't need a spoon and a pack of matches, what do they weigh? Less than an ounce together? Believe me, the ounces add up into pounds quickly. Be absolutely ruthless in taking only what you absolutely must have or you will end up leaving it in a hiker box or mailing it home. When you get to Neels Gap they will have anything you need you don't have. As long as you are safe from hypothermia and starving you will be fine the first few days.

Yes, you may need sunscreen the first few weeks. You can get pretty badly sunburnt until the trees fill in and your skin picks up some color if you aren't already tan.

You have too many clothes but let others analyze that. (You do want three pairs of socks though, wool, one for night time, one to wear, and one drying from being washed.) You will only be clean in town after you shower and do laundry. As soon as you hit the trail you will be dirty again so just don't worry about it. Deodorant is futile. Seriously. I started my thru with some thinking that if nothing else it would be good to keep my feet from stinking quite so much. Nope. Dumped that pretty quickly.

Also, listen to what people are telling you here, if it is contradictory then explore it further, but 80% of what thru-hikers carry is the same, just different brands.

Hike smarter, not harder.

Why a double rainbow instead of a rainbow, or something lighter? And that's an awfully big pack, IMO. In fact, what does all that weigh?
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by skinewmexico View Post
    Why a double rainbow instead of a rainbow, or something lighter? And that's an awfully big pack, IMO. In fact, what does all that weigh?
    I got a double rainbow because my niece will join me for a brief portion of the hike, and the tent is extremely light weight. That tent is the least of my worries. Would that everything could be so lightweight!

With all the stuff I have listed my pack weighs about 35 pounds. which I don't think is too bad. If I get rid of the bear vault, as has been suggested, I'll shave off 3 additional pounds, but of course I'll add back whatever a Ursak weighs. This weight is before food and water.

I got a double rainbow because my niece will join me for a brief portion of the hike, and the tent is extremely light weight. That tent is the least of my worries. Would that everything could be so lightweight!

With all the stuff I have listed my pack weighs about 35 pounds. which I don't think is too bad. If I get rid of the bear vault, as has been suggested, I'll shave off 3 additional pounds, but of course I'll add back whatever a Ursak weighs. This weight is before food and water.

Way too heavy. My pack is generally around 25 lbs, with 2L water and about 4 days food. I still have trouble with it seeming too heavy on some of the steeper mountains in NH and ME.

So many trails... so little time. Many Walks's Avatar

Lots of good advice has been offered. I'd add your choice of pack might be something to reconsider. The Osprey Xenon 85 will most likely prove to be too big and will add unnecessary weight. While it's a nice pack, it's geared more for a long term expedition. Don't look at a thru as being out for 5-6 months, but more of a series of 5-7 day hikes between towns. The Xenon 85 volume / weight is (medium) 5100 cu in / 6lbs. 5 oz. You can cut the volume and the pack weight. For example, the Osprey Exos 58 comes in at 3500 cu in / 2 lb. 8 oz. at less cost and plenty of room. There are many other options in packs for lighter weight. Best thing is to get your gear narrowed down to the absolute basics needed and take your gear to an outfitter to see what works best to handle the load at the lightest weight and best fit.
    Also, I'd dump the water badder and go with plastic bottles. They are lighter and so much nicer for refilling instead of digging the bladder out of the pocket. That gets old after a while. If you do go with the bladder, you can lay it on top of the pack under the lid to hold it in place. Much easier to get at. Plus bottles are easier to clean or replace. If you mix flavors in your water you'll most likely get crud buildup in the bladder and hose you'll need to deal with.

Probably the best advice is to just take what you want and enjoy your hike!
    That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest. Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by DapperD View Post
    Great list for a light packweight. Unfortunately, seems to me just a little "too" light for my tastes in winter. Doesn't even suggest bringing long pants. I think for the coldest months one needs also to not underestimate the possibility of extreme weather unfolding, so one doesn't get in a situation where they have too little clothes and wind up dangerousely unprepared.
    Dangerously unprepared? Well, not really. The OP said she was preparing for an AT thru beginning in April. The list is more than adequate with two thicknesses of base layer and rain pants/jacket for an extra outer layer.

Plus, the list is provided by one of the most experienced equipment fellows on the entire trail- Winton Porter. I'd say 1000's (+) of people who've used his system to complete the trail is testament enough that it's adequate.

Winton is no ultralight purist either. The article says-

"By the Mountain Crossings method, the ideal load is 30 to 35 pounds, including food and water, for early spring conditions, or 25 to 30 pounds for summer, all stuffed into a 3,800-cubic-inch pack".

And here's what's quoted about the whole long pants thing:

"You want to ask yourself, What does each piece of clothing do for me? Does it insulate? Does it stop wind? Does it stop rain?" he says. "Nylon zip-off pants don't do any of those three. If you wear a pair of nylon running shorts over lightweight long underwear, now you have pants that weigh 3.5 ounces instead of two to four times as much."

You'll pick up a trail family in no time. It's sorta like traveling with the circus.

Spokes! That line is too funny and so true. "traveling w/a circus" LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    Dangerously unprepared? Well, not really. The OP said she was preparing for an AT thru beginning in April. The list is more than adequate with two thicknesses of base layer and rain pants/jacket for an extra outer layer.

Plus, the list is provided by one of the most experienced equipment fellows on the entire trail- Winton Porter. I'd say 1000's (+) of people who've used his system to complete the trail is testament enough that it's adequate.

Winton is no ultralight purist either. The article says-

"By the Mountain Crossings method, the ideal load is 30 to 35 pounds, including food and water, for early spring conditions, or 25 to 30 pounds for summer, all stuffed into a 3,800-cubic-inch pack".

And here's what's quoted about the whole long pants thing:

"You want to ask yourself, What does each piece of clothing do for me? Does it insulate? Does it stop wind? Does it stop rain?" he says. "Nylon zip-off pants don't do any of those three. If you wear a pair of nylon running shorts over lightweight long underwear, now you have pants that weigh 3.5 ounces instead of two to four times as much."
    I knew after I posted I would get some flak for it.I know Winton is not the only one who suggests this. I read Cindy Ross's and Todd Gladfelter's book "12,000 Miles of Trail Tested Wisdom" in which she says basically the same thing. Just bring the long underwear and wear it under your rain gear. That's all you need. Basically I can see how this would work, and is a smart way to keep your overall weight down to achieve success. I see the original poster said she would be starting in April. Basically I posted to question this because the link you gave, I think it was a Backpacker Magazine article states that it is Winton's "Cold Weather" approach. Well if they mean after April cold weather approach, then I am sure it may be OK. If they mean late January, then maybe not so much.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++