WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default In your opinion, which is the best digital camera?

Hey
    I am looking to buy a decent digital camera. I want something that will take a sharp picture, unlimited video, the size really doesnt matter much to me but i guess i dont want something too big and I want all of this for as cheap as possible..best bang for the buck kinda deal. Any suggestions?

I suggest you go to one of the review sites, such as Steve's Digicams, and compare the various offerings yourself. You gave some criteria, but there are a lot of factors that you might value as more or less important. Things like battery type, whether it has an analog viewfinder, how fast it turns on and lag time between pictures, on-body controls, etc etc etc.

For hiking, some folks prefer a camera that takes AA batteries; when used around home a person can still recharge Nmh batteries, but on the trail one can buy new batteries in a trail town. Others don't care about this.

Etc etc.

I will say that "unlimited video" seems like a bit of a weird criteria. Memory card capacities are getting bigger, but nevertheless --- video can chew up storage space pretty quickly.

Images

which is the best digital camera?
    The best camera for image quality is the Phase One P65+ digital back for medium format cameras. It'll end up costing you maybe $100,000 when you are done buying everything you need. Plus you'll want a couple of Sherpas to carry the camera and other necessary gear.

For hiking, I usually recommend a small water resistant point and shoot digital camera. Coincidentally, dpreview.com has a comparison of all such cameras on the market right now. We own a couple of the Pentax models from three or four years ago, and they are decent cameras. If I had to buy a new one right now, the Panasonic DMC-TS1 would be my choice. It has a wide angle zoom lens, optical image stabilization, and is waterproof to one meter. It's on sale at Adorama right now for $250. (Put it in your cart to see the price.)

I like the waterproof camera because I never have to worry about it. I can carry it in my shirt pocket when I am kayaking, and just grab it out for a photo whenever. On the trail it rides in a small waist pack, or in a little case attached to my shoulder harness. The biggest problem with our Pentax cameras is the lack of optical image stabilization, which makes a HUGE difference in practical shooting conditions. That Panasonic is on my short list for a new pocket camera.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

I am a very avid fisherman and enjoy a good hike too. I have a Tough 8000 from Olympus and it's a great little camera. It's a bit on the heavy side as far as P&S cameras go and the zoom is not the best, but I'm glad to trade that off for the waterproof, crushproof, dustproof aspects of it. I tend to be harsh on my electronics and really like that I don't have to worry about dropping it in the water (got a float on it!), getting soaked in my pack from rain, dropping it off the side of a hill, etc.

I think they run about $350 or so, but I got mine used from a friend for about $200. It was too good of a deal to pass up!

Registered User Pacific Tortuga's Avatar
    Images

I'm not going to say get the one I did, it's not "the best".

It did cost about 250.00, weather/wet resistant, heavy rain or drop in a stream/puddle. Small and light weight with features I like, and most all have.
    I bought an extra battery and card that fit in the case. It worked out well and the only down side, was I had to bring a charger for the lithium battery's.
    The best part was, it is a gift that I was able to pick out.

Quote Originally Posted by rapchizzle View Post
    I am a very avid fisherman and enjoy a good hike too. I have a Tough 8000 from Olympus and it's a great little camera. It's a bit on the heavy side as far as P&S cameras go and the zoom is not the best, but I'm glad to trade that off for the waterproof, crushproof, dustproof aspects of it. I tend to be harsh on my electronics and really like that I don't have to worry about dropping it in the water (got a float on it!), getting soaked in my pack from rain, dropping it off the side of a hill, etc.

I think they run about $350 or so, but I got mine used from a friend for about $200. It was too good of a deal to pass up!

i have a tough 8000 and love it sofar, have been useing it in africa and about to test it on a thru hike

Images

I've been using the Canon SD1100 for the past two years.

I've still been researching and holding out on purchasing for my hopeful trip deparing in March. I've really been looking at the Panasonic ZS3 which goes from wide angle to super zoom (12x). The wide angle and long zoom (300 mm equiv) are what I'm after - it is also farily light, about 8 ounces w/a battery. There is a ZS7 version to be released this year that will include geotagging abilities built in. Also a similar feature loaded Sony is to be released. I'm holding out hope for release dates in the very near feature.

Pansonic News:
    http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs...52010040126605

Sony
    http://www.dcresource.com/news/newsitem.php?id=4051

Images

The best in my opinion was the now discontinued Canon a720is. Unfortunately this great camera has been compromised by "advances".

Anyway, what made it great was that...

- It was very efficient with batteries. Using nimh rechargeables, I was able to go over 700 shots (screen on, some flash) while barely denting the battery life meter.
    - It only cost $180.
    - It took great quality pictures.
    - The optical viewfinder allowed you to extend battery life by turning off the screen.
    - A common firmware hack made it extremely powerful and capable.
    - Decent zoom as pixels. 6x, 8 megapixels.

If you can somehow find a new one sitting on a store shelf somewhere for $150 or less, I think you'll have a hell of a steal. If you do find one and don't want it, please do me a favor and buy it for me.

Those closest thing to this is the Canon SX120is, but it doesn't have an optical viewfinder, the battery life is unknown, and it's bigger. At least it has more optical zoom. (10x)

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Pentax

I have the Pentax Optio W80 5oz w/ battery. It is a good camera for me, cheaper than the Olympus models. The battery does not last long doing video in HD but does good for pictures. I have a 16gb card so I think it will do me just fine. Going to get an extra battery to go with.

The best camera will and can only be your choice. Something I have learnt about any gear. Is that it mite be good for the next man, but not you. So make a wise choice for your liking not others, as many mite not like the Pentax W80 and I do.
    I don't know

Not committing until I graduate! Sassafras Lass's Avatar
    Images

Default Good waterproof/dropproof/dumbproof camera . . . or as near as can be!

I too am scouting out a good choice to take on my GA-ME 2011 hike with my husband.

I just recently moved into the digital world with my Nikon P90, which has been very capable and fun to use so far, but I certainly won't be taking such a fussy, bulky camera on a hiking trip.

I've been looking at the Pentax Optio W60, the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS1G, and the Fujifilm FinePix Z33WP. I'm not terribly concerned about the waterproof factor, as I don't do snorkeling, but I'm pretty clumsy and would like something that will withstand being dropped repeatedly.

Any thoughts on those? I'm partial to Pentax in general, but am certainly open to any decent well-made camera.
    Formerly 'F-Stop'

If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.

~ Dolly Parton

Images

A lot of good choices out there for a P&S. My one piece of advice would be to get one with a separate viewfinder, one not dependent on composing the scene via the LCD. Two reasons:

1) It will save you a lot of battery life to keep the LCD off much of the time.
    2) When composing your picture via the LCD, you have to hold the camera out in front of you. This is MUCH less stable than holding it up against your forehead while shooting. This will make a big difference in the sharpness of most folk's photos.

Images

Lyle, I agree with you, but optical viewfinders are becoming very rare in P&S cameras. Electronic viewfinders use just as much energy as the big LCD on the back, so they're only worth using to prevent glare or to get an extra point of leverage to increase stability.

As to the second part, it really helps to have a neck strap and to pull against that.

Panasonic Lumix are fantastic cameras at a good price for what they are. They are very close to SLR quality with many great functions. I'll be taking mine on my thru-hike attempt this year.
    Tintin hikes the Appalachian Trail
    Trail Journal, Website, Twitter

Images

Canon Powershot A590 IS. Cheap, small, light, auto/manual control, video. 2 lithium AA's last a long time.
    "Going to the woods is going home" - John Muir

"Only by going alone in silence, without baggage, can one truely get into the heart of the wilderness" - John Muir

I still haven't purchased a camera - but in addition to those listed in post #8, here is another one with geotagging that is due out sometime this March. This one has the longest zoom I've seen on a compact digital.

Samsung HZ35W
    http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/d...sp?newsID=4216

Recently I did a fairly indepth search for a good replacement to my Sony Cybershot and came up with these:

Canon S90--recently released, supposed to be awesome. And small.
    Panasonic Lumix--top of the line and a copy of the Leica something or other.
    Canon G10--bigger but supposedly top of the line. I almost bought it but then decided to master the little Sony I already have before jumping into the technical world of digital photography.

Images
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

Ive been thru a ton of cameras... I love my Canon SD 1100 IS... 8mp and i like the fact that it takes 30fps videos... gotten great reviews everywhere ive seen.

i just got the Casio EX-G1 it water and shock proof and at 12 megapixles takes a great pic
    GRAVY

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++