WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Trail Names

Images

Thumbs up Awesome!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Jones View Post
    From a few years ago: http://rocketjones.mu.nu/archives/234466.php

She'll reach a full mile and change with a maximum motor, recovers under parachute.

My daughter took this photo, which is one of my all-time favorites: http://rocketjones.mu.nu/archives/026849.php
    Wow, You are into the serious performers, In grammar school I used to build the little ones, mostly Estes, and launch those, still big fun but not as big as your rockets, About 12 years ago I built a Carde Black Brant, It's sitting on my shelf now, never sent it up but I still have the engines for it.
    My buddy and I thought about building one about the same size as the one in your picture but we never got off the launch pad(pun intended)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Jones View Post
    From a few years ago: http://rocketjones.mu.nu/archives/234466.php

She'll reach a full mile and change with a maximum motor, recovers under parachute.

My daughter took this photo, which is one of my all-time favorites: http://rocketjones.mu.nu/archives/026849.php

Thanks Rocket !

My wife (in Fla) and I (in WNY) were both huge space/rocketry nerds when we were kids.

Images

Heard it every day as a young lad growing up...
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Came from a canoe trip at boundary waters.
    When asked were i'd gotten off to, a friend who knew I was a big fan of ' A Clockwork Orange'' answed - ' he's having a bit of Spatchka..."
    Since it's one of my favorite things to do, it stuck.
    " There is no hope for a civilization which starts each day to the sound of an alarm clock ."

One guy who just refused to accept any of the names our group hiking suggestred dubbed him "Stinky Pants" because...well you can figure the rest.

Journal Entries
    Images

Smile Pretty straitforward

It's the nickname for my college team.

I was on a EMS call with my Volley Fire Dept and had a sticky situation. Where a man was on some kind of drug rage and was being pretty crazy throwing stuff around,breaking things and two kids trapped in the house. The cops hadn't showed up yet and I was scared for the kids and ran in and grabbed them and ran like hell out the door.

I had the father chasing me and he was about 6'7" and about 300 lbs and me 5'4" and 140 lbs and when the cops showed up they said I was one crazy fool for doing something so stupid.

My story is in another thread, however I'll give a Reader's Digest version here. I like to modify gear and make it work better, or find multiple uses for things ordinarily only used for one purpose.
    I "Tinker" with gear (from a trip on the Long Trail, circa 1995).
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

My friends think I read too much Stephen King. What do they know?

See The Stand.
    "A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."

-Bob Dylan

During the drought of '08, I had to sneak behind some cabins on Log Cabin Rd w/ mine and some friends water bottles as all the springs were dry. Hence: Nalgene Ninja was born.

Screen name is a carryover of a nickname from the Navy.

I also was a nerdy rocket launching kid, and turned that into an aerospace engineering career.

Baron
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by flemdawg1 View Post
    Screen name is a carryover of a nickname from the Navy.

What was your rate?

<----CTM2...put on E5 the day I went on Terminal!
    ‎"You know your camping trip really isn't going well when you find yourself hoping to stave off sepsis with a six-pack of Icehouse. "

"Age is not an accomplishment, and youth is not a sin."

I'm unique, just like everyone else........ One Leg's Avatar
    Images

Default One-Leg & Multiplier

"One-Leg" - Not really quite sure exactly how I came about this name. (Joking) - Actually, I've been called "One Leg", "Iron Leg", "Peg Leg", "Pirate", and "Lead Foot" for the shotgun lead that claimed my leg............ The kids took to calling me "Robo Cop" or "Inspector Gadget"............but the one I answer to is, for very obvious reasons, "One Leg".

There was a time, when I was being hounded by unwanted press that I just wanted to be left alone and HIKE, so my brother and my wife coined "The Multiplier" for me, which stemmed from the fact that a) the Bible says "Be fruitful and multiply the earth", so I did my part by multiplying times ten (7 living, 3 deceased).

-Scotty "One-Leg" Rogers (some assembly required)
    Never criticize a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. That way, you're a mile away, and you've got his shoes.

Images

Newbie here...no trail name yet, but I chose "CatchUp" because I feel like I've missed out on so much...time to "catch up"..

Quote Originally Posted by Bucherm View Post
    What was your rate?

<----CTM2...put on E5 the day I went on Terminal!
    MM2 - also frocked shortly before terminal leave.

Images

Don't have a trail name yet but was given a call sign when I flew in the back of an F/A-18 jet: Psyfly. Was a great way to end 20 years in the Navy! The pilot gave me the call sign because now that my Navy career has ended, I'm working toward a master's in psychology.

Images

halftime
    I was hiking with a group when bad weather began approaching. Someone said "we will need to do double time to make it". I had an injured ankle so invited group to proceed ahead saying "I'll be lucky to do 'halftime' ".
    halftime

Images

Damnitbobby
    This is what my mother called me the whole time I was growing up, everyone thought it was my name.
    Simple is good.

My husband got the trail name of Francis during a 10 day trip through the 100 mile wilderness. He's 6'3" and very strong. We were not in charge of packing food and we hiked with some people who liked to brag about how much they packed. 70 lbs for a 140lb man was a heroe's pack. Anyway, each day everyone's pack would get lighter with the exception of my husband's. People kept asking him to take a little bit of their load - like a pack mule he hauled it. Thus Francis (the talking mule).
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Images

Was caught in a lighting/hailstorm near muskrat creek shelter while trying to hang a bear bag,lighting hit the tree next to me and then the hail decided to commence a beat down,GOOD to be alive!!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++