WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Trail Names

Images

i would pick up things at camp and store them,
    trail rat
    wolf

Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

Met a female hiker on the trail in 92. She got her name after eating a can of chili and ended up with a case of the ****s. Her trail name? --Atomic Chili--

Met another guy from Sweden that would tell us the strangest, craziest most entertaining stories. We eventually gave him the trail name "The Crazy Swede".

Yet another guy on the AT forgot several times which way he had to go once he left the shelter in the morning. This resulted in a few times of backtracking more than a mile or so. His trail name after that? Wrong Way Ray

At Low Gap north of Neels Gap, a bunch of us met two mailcarriers whom hiked as far as they could on the AT every summer. Since they were from a small town in North Carolina, we bestowed upon them the trail names of "Goober and Gomer".

Images

Default Crash Course

I fall a lot for unexplained/silly reasons (slipping on an icy surface I've already been standing on for 2 minutes, etc) and sometimes create hazards in my falls/hiking for those right in front or right behind me. I fell 84 times on my thru-hike. (Keeping count made it funny rather than annoying)
    AT 2010 Feb26-Aug14
    'Crash Course'

How good does a female athlete have to be before we just call her an athlete? ~Author Unknown

Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lillianp View Post
    I fall a lot for unexplained/silly reasons (slipping on an icy surface I've already been standing on for 2 minutes, etc) and sometimes create hazards in my falls/hiking for those right in front or right behind me. I fell 84 times on my thru-hike. (Keeping count made it funny rather than annoying)
    I'm sorry, but I don't see the connection between what you said and your trail name.

Images

we were in NH i think and other hikers were waiting for BAM-BAM. i thought strange name. but later i saw a hiker walking towards me and i said "you got to be BAM-BAM" it was perfect for him LOL
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Quote Originally Posted by Different Socks View Post
    I'm sorry, but I don't see the connection between what you said and your trail name.
    She put her trail name - Crash Course - in her post title.

1,630 miles and counting earlyriser26's Avatar
    Images

Hiking in Maine back in the 70's I started hiking about 4:30 AM and hiked to a shelter where I was going to stay for the day by about 9AM. The hikers were just getting up and one said you must be an "early riser" and the name kind of stuck.
    There are so many miles and so many mountains between here and there that it is hardly worth thinking about

Images

On a hot August Georgia Section Hike I got dehydrated and heat exaustion and drank all my water. From then on I carry enough water for the group so Waterbuffalo stuck
    "Sometimes you have to make a clean break from the past to make a new beginning"

Images

hope to get one on my thru.
    I broke a mirror in my house. I'm supposed to get seven years bad luck but my lawyer thinks he can get me five.

When other hikers found out I was a Horticulturalist/Landscape Designer/AT thru-hiker and carrying 3 books on local wildflowers and plants endemic to the Appalacian Mnts they started asking me to identify all the plants they were experiencing. The white and pink flowered tree they asked me the most about was the American or Florida Dogwood, Cornus florida. Someone at an AT shelter campfire named me Dogwood. I accepted the trailname as I thought it appropriate because it's one of my top 10 small native flowering trees I use in my landscape designs. I also thought the trailname fit my personality as the tree doesn't at first have an endearing name/personality but once you get to know the tree it has many outstanding 4 season landscaping attributes, kinda like myself!

My Mom gave it to me when I was born.

I made a lot of foolish mistakes on my first A/T hike. I jokingly repeated the phrase "If I'm gonna be dumb, I better be tough!". It was determined that I must then be "Tough as nails!"
    Hence the trail name "NAILS".

Talking Ace

Ace- I look like Jim Carey. It beats Loyd Christmas or fire marshal bill:P

Images

My trail name comes from a hard lesson learned awhile ago.
    I was doing a solo trip up near Face Mountain, BC and came down with a severe case of dehydration. I pushed myself too hard and too fast in attempt to make a flight I had booked and collapsed on the trail. When I came to, I fought the urge to admit defeat (thus making my situation worse), I inevitably had no choice but to use my emergency beacon.
    The airlift and ensuing days of recovery cost me around $30,000, hence the name.

Moral of the story: Re-booking a missed flight is always the cheaper route! lol

Ga.------>Me. ~2012~ pdcollins6092's Avatar

Skunk Ape

I figured me being from Florida it would be fitting...

Journal Entries
    Images

Kids gave it to me years ago for carrying lemon wipes.

A very nice Englishman named me Mr. BuffaloMan. I was stubborn when it came to my 70 lb. pack weight on my thru, I come from South Dakota and I bear a slight reseblance to Buffalo Bill Cody.

Living and working at the state park in Martha's Vineyard I kept a bunch of wild ravens as pets...or they kept me..not sure. Fed them every day at lunch, and they woke me up every morning. Combine that with my desire to scavenge any and everything kind of set in motion the name Raven
    School makes you sound wise, while the world actually makes you wise.

Trail name is Firefly. I got it because I just to smoke and hike at the same time. People kept saying I looked like a damn firefly.

Firebug: My husband and I were camping several years ago and an old man came up to our campsite while I was building up a fire. he said to my husband "that's quite a firebug you got there."

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++