WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Water sources along the kittany ridge

I'm planning a hike with some friends this week, doing 42 miles along the kittany ridge. I've heard that water is becoming scarce and was wondering if anyone had information as to which sources were still good and which had dried up.

Thanks,

Spiderbite
    Spiderbite
    LT '09
    NP '10

Images

Quote Originally Posted by nevets View Post
    I'm planning a hike with some friends this week, doing 42 miles along the kittany ridge. I've heard that water is becoming scarce and was wondering if anyone had information as to which sources were still good and which had dried up.

Thanks,

Spiderbite
    I hiked from DWG to High Point a couple weeks ago. You might want to read these two threads, one has a ridge runner report on water sources...
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=63534

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=63588

It is a fairly dry stretch. One very important thing to note is that as of two weeks ago the handle was broken off the pump at blue mountain lakes road. We couldn't get any water from it.

Also, people(Snorz) did leave water in the bear box at Mashipicon Shelter.

thanks, jersey joe.

our trip is starting at midnight tonight at DWG, and we plan to end at high point sometime between 4 and 6pm on wednesday. hoping to nail the 42 miles in 15-18 hours.

we do have a water drop planned for route 206. hopefully since we are starting the hike at night, we should do alright with cooler temperatures and the lack of water.
    Spiderbite
    LT '09
    NP '10

Quote Originally Posted by jersey joe View Post
    I hiked from DWG to High Point a couple weeks ago. You might want to read these two threads, one has a ridge runner report on water sources...
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=63534

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=63588

It is a fairly dry stretch. One very important thing to note is that as of two weeks ago the handle was broken off the pump at blue mountain lakes road. We couldn't get any water from it.

Also, people(Snorz) did leave water in the bear box at Mashipicon Shelter.
    Joe, how badly was it broken? I live a short ways away and am half tempted to go up there and attempt a repair.

BL
    http://www.radio-outdoors.com Ham Radio and the outdoors. Perfect together!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz_Lightfoot View Post
    Joe, how badly was it broken? I live a short ways away and am half tempted to go up there and attempt a repair.

BL
    There was no handle at all attached to the pump, nor anywhere where I could see it on the ground. I'm thinking you would need a long handle type bar with a hole through it and a screw and nut...that might do the trick?!? The pump itself seemed to be ok, just no way to get it working without the handle.

Images

thanks, jersey joe.

our trip is starting at midnight tonight at DWG, and we plan to end at high point sometime between 4 and 6pm on wednesday. hoping to nail the 42 miles in 15-18 hours.

we do have a water drop planned for route 206. hopefully since we are starting the hike at night, we should do alright with cooler temperatures and the lack of water.
    Sounds like a fun trip!
    I did the same section two weeks ago in 28 hours(includes 10 hours in camp sleeping and what not). We also dropped a water cache at 206, though the deli(joe-to-go) is right there, so i suppose we could have just bought water there.

Sounds like a fun trip!
    I did the same section two weeks ago in 28 hours(includes 10 hours in camp sleeping and what not). We also dropped a water cache at 206, though the deli(joe-to-go) is right there, so i suppose we could have just bought water there.
    will be sure to let you know how it goes. will probably hit sunfish/mohican for the first water, then load up at rattlesnake to try and make it to brinks road shelter, hit 206, and then hope for something at gren or rutherford before hitting HPSP.

joe-to-go might be clutch, hitting there around lunchtime.

thanks again for the info!

spiderbite
    Spiderbite
    LT '09
    NP '10

There was no handle at all attached to the pump, nor anywhere where I could see it on the ground. I'm thinking you would need a long handle type bar with a hole through it and a screw and nut...that might do the trick?!? The pump itself seemed to be ok, just no way to get it working without the handle.
    Hmmm, I guess I will just have to take a ride up there and take some photos/measurements. That is a bad section for lack of water. That pump was a blessing!

If you can fix it a lot of hikers will be in your debt.
    "It goes to show you never can tell." - Charles Edward Anderson Berry

I believe the pump is back in action.

Based on recent reports from NJ ridgerunners, the pump at BML Road is fixed and pumping well.

That's great news!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by BobS View Post
    Based on recent reports from NJ ridgerunners, the pump at BML Road is fixed and pumping well.
    Good news indeed!
    It was pretty rough getting there and not being able to get water that night.

Images

thanks, jersey joe.

How did the hike go nevets?

++ New Posts ++