WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Does anyone share my same passion??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0V7WItOr4O8

I am so in love with this story and It so hard to find people that are as into the wilderness and nature at its best...i wish just once i could find a human that i can relate to when it comes to the outdoors...

Images

I think most everyone on this site feels the same way, I grew up in a somewhat large city but for every long weekend and vacation I had, I spent them outdoors, usually camping and day hikes.

Images

Good ol' Alexander Supertramp.

I used to hitchhike and hop freight trains around the country. Miss those days. Someday I'll build my cabin in the wilderness...
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.
    -Edward Abbey

that is so awesome! so you know what i mean then. there is something so amazing about being outside and free into the wild...someday i will do the same...

Images

Default "I Don't Mind"

Well you can drop your worries at the parking lot
    Or way down in the city where the sun burns hot.
    Although civilization is a nice place to visit,
    I wouldn't want to live there.

– Tobasco Donkeys (a band of hikers)

Images

Your passion isn't lost here, but instead shared by like minded human beings with a zest for nature that satisfies the soul.

BTW ,The book was much better in my opinion.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Images

You may not realize what you're unleashing with this thread... then again, maybe if you did a search, you do indeed.

For the record, I think there is an embodiment of spirit in this story that is a worthwhile tale, and yes, it is something most of us strive for. Its just that a lot of the story really annoys the heck out of lot of people who feel like he went about things in the wrong way.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

can't say i share your passion

Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rachaeljessica View Post
    that is so awesome! so you know what i mean then. there is something so amazing about being outside and free into the wild...someday i will do the same...

Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday.......see, there is no Someday.

Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

I know exactly how you feel. Each time I come back from 3--4 days off, or a week or more in the woods, it gets more and more difficult to adjust to work life again. There are times when I feel that I belong in the outdoors, that it is what I was born to do.

Backpacker
    Images

Do a little google search on a man named Richard 'Dick' Proenneke and I promise you wont be disappointed.

Alone in the Wilderness: An Alaskan Odyssey

Baron
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
    Good ol' Alexander Supertramp.

I used to hitchhike and hop freight trains around the country. Miss those days. Someday I'll build my cabin in the wilderness...
    I remember reading Into the Wild in High School and thinking that the kid was shelfish, unbalanced, could have done other things for adventure, could have donated that money he burned to charity, and not really that bright despite the ownership of a college degree. I also didn't care much for the author hemming and hawing and defending the guy's actions.

Today?

I feel much the same. I grant that as I sit here in the NOC that I work at, I wish I was out hiking, but I also am smart enough to know my limitations...or at least smart enough to tell people where to find me if I drop off the face of the planet
    ‎"You know your camping trip really isn't going well when you find yourself hoping to stave off sepsis with a six-pack of Icehouse. "

"Age is not an accomplishment, and youth is not a sin."

I have a passion for freedom and self reliance. But I cannot understand why anyone would want to go to the extreme this young man went. I probably would have stayed in California with the young lady in Slab City. I also did not like what he did to his parents. Even though they may not have met up to his standards, the guy did not have to go through life a pauper.

A fool living by his ideals is still a fool.

Quote Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
    I used to hitchhike and hop freight trains around the country. Miss those days....
    No total disrespect Luddite but you're only 23 years old. Hopping freight trains around the county in this century doesn't even sound remotely real.

Quote Originally Posted by Liv2Ride View Post
    No total disrespect Luddite but you're only 23 years old. Hopping freight trains around the county in this century doesn't even sound remotely real.
    Uh..Hobos still do it...I know. I live close ot a train yard..
    "So what if theres a mountain, get over it!!!" - Graywolf, 2010

Section Hiker Shot Gun from GA to NH Deerleg's Avatar
    Images

BETWEEN A ROCK AND A HARD PLACE By Aron Ralston is a great book about an incredible adventure gone wrong with a good ending...hope we all learn from those kind of mistakes, but there is something about the transformation he goes thru as a result of his blunder that enlightens and sharpens his reverence for the natural world.
    Kevin

Default wilderness

Quote Originally Posted by rachaeljessica View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0V7WItOr4O8

I am so in love with this story and It so hard to find people that are as into the wilderness and nature at its best...i wish just once i could find a human that i can relate to when it comes to the outdoors...
    I don't know if you could or would relate to me but I definitely share your wilderness passion. I suspect many here on whiteblaze do. That is why many of us are hikers.

Oddly there are a lot of hikers, particularly AT thru hikers who are more into the party scene than into the wilderness. Don't tell me it ain't so because I know from personal experience as a thru hiker that is IS so.

There is nothing like climbing a remote peak (say North Twin or Mount Bond) completely alone and staying up there for an hour alone and quiet, just looking, sensing, pondering. How few actually do it. It's up and down or they go in groups and keep talking. That his its place for sure but it's not the same.

I believe that to truly experience wilderness we need to slow down, cast schedules aside, leave communication devices at home, and just experience the solitude.

David

Images

I'm actually headin to the bus 142 in Alaska in two weeks ta spend a night there. One of my stops while in Alaska. Cant wait!!!
    "I drank what?" Socrates

I have Proenneke's book and a dvd, love it. But can you really do anything like that these days?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++