WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Jolly Rancher NOBO '09 Harley&Me's Avatar

I could go for some jerky right now! I miss that stuff. Still can't quite bring myself to eat peanut butter.

I'm pretty much of a grazer. In addition to snickers bars, gorp, jerky, and dried fruit (including homemade rhubarb rollups), I like the single-serving salmon cups available in three-packs (I forget the brand) and indivually packed baby cheeses (la vache qui rit). I occasionally stop for a cooked meal and eat a little snack food in the evening.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Harley&Me View Post
    I could go for some jerky right now! I miss that stuff. Still can't quite bring myself to eat peanut butter.
    Peanut Butter is very good for you as long as there is no hydrogenated oil in it! Good source of protein!

hard boiled eggs only are supposed to be eaten unfrigerated after a couple of hours,,I think I would keep from carrying hard boiled eggs unless its winter,

So many trails... so little time. Many Walks's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Echo View Post
    I LOVE peanut butter and honey sandwiches! And a few carrot sticks!
    That reminds me, we recently found Mr. Sprinkles Honey Blitz. It's pure grade A honey in granule form and comes in a 5 oz. plastic container with a shaker lid that snaps closed pretty tight. On the package it says "Honey goodness without the mess". We haven't taken it out on the trail yet, but it tastes good and has held up well in a warm cupboard. I think it would be easier to handle in a pack than liquid honey. Just a thought I wanted to share if it helps anyone.
    That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest. Henry David Thoreau

Journal Entries

I tend to carry hard salami. At least for the first 4 0r 5 days after resupply, depending a bit on the weather. Hard salami is good for a week or more, spring and fall in Maine -- at least four days in summer.

Carry it in the middle of your pack to insulate it a bit from extreme hot temperatures.

Weary

Cevans...ate unrefrigerated hard boiled eggs over 48 hrs old on many occasions while hiking. Unsually did this in mild spring/fall season. Tasted great and am still here, relatively unaffected (my own opinion).

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lemon73 View Post
    I am coffee addict. I decided to cut the coffee on the trail. It will be hard at first.

And yeah I meant "gorp"!
    The latest scoop is that coffee is no longer harmful, but helpful to your heart. I've stopped giving up things that I like, especially when I can find someone to tell me it is suddenly healthy.

That's why I've also returned to drinking wine and bourbon.

Weary

What do you think about uncooked Ramen noodles?
    depends. if you don't buy the typical grocery store brand, you'll be better off. we buy MaMa brand noodles from the asian grocery store & eat those for lunch or snack. the noodles themselves are flavored, and it comes with a packet of seasoning, packet of hot spices, & packet of some sort of grease type substance. you can eat the noodles uncooked, they have flavor, and you can dip them in the seasoning if you want. if you cook them, the grease packet makes instant noodles an actual meal instead of that yucky excuse for one at the typical grocery store. the pork ones are the best imo, followed by chicken. there's also a shrimp one.

why can't we edit posts?

here's a picture

Images

Spam singles
    flat bread with nutella or PB with Jelly from MacDonald packets
    my kids would eat the Ramen blocks by sprinkling the powder over the noodle block and eating it dry, but I never tried that!
    Flat bread/tortilla/pita with pepperoni slices and string cheese sticks
    Baby Bel cheeses - the ones wrapped in plastic and a red wax covering - lots of packaging, but great to eat.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Quote Originally Posted by lemon73 View Post
    Btw : Did anyone ever tried to separate a mountain house by putting half of it in a Ziplock and washing the aluminum bag to cook the other half the next day?
    Use a freezer bag ziplock and just add the hot water to that. No need to wash and reuse the MH bag.

I agree the tuna and tuna salad that comes in the ready to go pouches are awesome. What about eating MRE's while hiking, I have found a couple sites that sell the military knockoff ones, they are supposedly just like them but are legal to sell. They even have 12 different meals in a box, I think I might order a box and see how they taste. They can't be to bad can they
    Thy word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my way. Psalm 119:105

Images

Can't be too bad is argueable! But generally, they're expensive, bulky and generate more trash compaired to other options. During this drought period, though, where you might have to carry all your water with little or no hope of finding any (such as some parts of the Smokies), it sort of makes sense to carry non-dry food instead of dry and adding water you have to carry.

Try not doing lunch at all. Just snack all day. I found that stopping for lunch causes my muscles and joints to stiffen up, and takes about 45 mins.

Chicken Feathers Chicken Feathers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    bagels (cream cheese)
    · Pita bread
    · Logan Bread
    · granola bars
    · candy bars
    · dried fruit
    · GORP (nuts, M&M's raisins, yogurt peanuts, crackers, dried fruit, etc)
    · Pringles
    · crackers (the dense kinds at health food stores)
    · Wheat Thins
    · Cheeses (string cheese, blocks of mozarella, etc)
    · Tuna (sold in pouches now)
    · lunch meat
    . Hard boiled eggs/ with salt packet
    . jerkys pemmican
    . Summer sausage (eg Landsjager) (80 cal/oz)
    how about bagels to this list they offer a lot of calories and they last a long time
    The mountains are calling and I have to go

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++