WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Registered User Turkey Sandwich's Avatar

Default Flavor Additives for Water?

Does anyone have any good suggestions for something to add to water to spice it up and take the drudgery out of drinking the same thing for a week? I've heard some people dump a little Kool Aid mix in, or some Emergen-C. Has anyone tried these? Any other recommendations?

Gatorade, propel powdered mix is what I like.

Images

lipton has green tea, but most of the time you just got to settle for what they sell in town.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

the drink mixes are great.. I usually treat myself to one or two a day. They are light weight and you can carry a variety in a small zip lock bag. Most wally worlds have a nice selection of them. Tea's, electrolyte replacement drinks, or crystal light style drinks in a multitude of flavors.

My kids carry their own selection of them and take great care in selecting and packing......I have heard some lengthy discussions about selection and when to drink it.......Son saved his favorite for last and ended up drinking it in the car on the way home.

Kids are great.

Another product out there is Nuun tablets. I tried some and didn't care for them. I opt for gatorade powder. I just wish they sold the powder in more flavors. Once in a while, I will see the little sleeves of Gatorade.
    Cabin Fever
    You need God—to hope, to care, to love, to live.

Journal Entries

Default drink mixes

To me, emergen-C tastes bad, so i add Gatoraid or Crystal light or instant tea when I use it. Kroger has a house brand called Essence-C that is practically identical in content and about 60% the price of Emergen-C. It also tastes lousy but has good nutrition.

To mix with 16.9oz of water - Propel fit powder packs weigh .2oz, G2 Powder packs weigh .5oz and Gatorade Powder packs weight 1oz .. but all can make a big sticky mess if you spill the powder over your stuff while it's raining.

Normally I use the Crystal light or store brand drink mixes that come in the tubes for 200z bottles. Normally I find that half of a mix per liter is good.
    I had just purchased some Fizzies and they work GREAT! It is drink tablets that are like an Alka Seltzer and come in great flavors.

So many trails... so little time. Many Walks's Avatar

Arizona Tea makes about 4 different flavors packed in individual tubes that work well for hiking. If I use a bladder I like to use the Camelback tablets that have electrolytes and don't leave gunk buildup. My favorite is just simple individual packets of all natural powdered lemon, lime and orange juice from True Lemon. They have no sugars, preservatives, sodium, or gluten. It just gives a nice bit of citrus flavor to the water. If I'm drinking from from a good mountain spring nothing is added as that water can't be beat.
    That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest. Henry David Thoreau

I almost forgot to say Fizzies comes in Blue Raspberry, Fruit Punch, Lemon Lime, Orange, Root Beer, and Sour Apple. The Orange was good and not sweet with some fizziness and refreshing. Suffice to say I am adding it to my pack supplies.

Journal Entries
    Images

Prior to 2008 I posted how to make your favorite from scratch, The thread has dropped off the end of the earth... So from what I remember take a caffiene pill and crush it in a morter and pestle. The other is a pill of potasium, if its 90 mg devide it in half, there is something about too much potasium. mix & cover the parts with fruit and dry mixes.
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 08-03-2010 at 23:50.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Looking for a comfortable cave to habitate jrwiesz's Avatar
    Images

Powdered Country Time Lemonaide works, those little single packets of Kool-aid work also.
    "For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
    Carl Sagan

I have found that most of the packets like gatorade, Country Time, G2, all taste way to sweat and sugary for my taste even when added to 1 liter of water. The best I have found was Propel which is lighter on the taste buds than the others IMO. My favorite flavor is the berry.
    Schnikel

I love the nuun cola. The other coices are good too...they are just kind of mellow. I feel cola is the best choice. It is the next best thing to having a coke or pepsi with you. Also it doesn't have all the crap that Gatorade and the others mentioned have...no HFCS. amazon.com has them pretty cheap. Enjoy!

Images

I usually use the vitamin propel packs but I do take a treat like kool aid packets too. I only take one or two of the kool aid ones cuz they are a lot bulkier than the propel with all that sugar in them but on a hot day they are awsome little treat and have a lotta flavor compared to the smaller type propel or that kind of mix.
    "I drank what?" Socrates

Images

I'll occasionally throw a couple of packets of Amino Vital in there.

Cheap scotch. Good scotch should never be watered.

An herbal tea bag in your water bottle. Each bag will flavor a lot of water, so you can refill the bottle multiple times. I especially like Celestial Seasonings' Tension Tamer - it's mint with a couple of B-vitamins.

Images

I liked the little packets of Ocean Spray Cran-Grape and little packets of pink lemonade, lightweight easy to use packets.

It doesn't take much to add a little flavour. Yellow birch adds wintergreen. A few spruce needles add some zip. Experiment.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++