Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1

    Default 90 mile NY - 6 day trip this week!

    leaving for my NY thru tomorrow. cant wait. scheduled to do 15 miles a day over 6 days...greenwood lake to CT state line. Pack is ready to go and weighs out at a solid 42 lbs. Thats WITH 6 litres of water, about 13lbs just in water. we will see how the sources look (i have a filter) and decide to carry all 6 each day or cut down. the rest is mostly food weight. tons of cliff bars and then knorr sides and tuna for dinners...

    anyway, cant wait to get out there...gonna be hot but hoping it will cool down a bit and water wont be tooo scarce.

    also ill be breaking in my new osprey atmos 65 pack...im coming from an exos58 so not too different but should be nice to support the extra weight.

    nice thing to know is that at the end of the day the pack will only be 29lbs once the waters gone lol

    anyone else gonna be out there or have been recently? any water along roadsides? how are the sources?

  2. #2
    jersey joe jersey joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-12-2004
    Location
    Highlands Region, NJ
    Age
    45
    Posts
    1,914
    Images
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ExosC3 View Post
    leaving for my NY thru tomorrow. cant wait. scheduled to do 15 miles a day over 6 days...greenwood lake to CT state line. Pack is ready to go and weighs out at a solid 42 lbs. Thats WITH 6 litres of water, about 13lbs just in water. we will see how the sources look (i have a filter) and decide to carry all 6 each day or cut down. the rest is mostly food weight. tons of cliff bars and then knorr sides and tuna for dinners...

    anyway, cant wait to get out there...gonna be hot but hoping it will cool down a bit and water wont be tooo scarce.

    also ill be breaking in my new osprey atmos 65 pack...im coming from an exos58 so not too different but should be nice to support the extra weight.

    nice thing to know is that at the end of the day the pack will only be 29lbs once the waters gone lol

    anyone else gonna be out there or have been recently? any water along roadsides? how are the sources?
    Good luck on your trip Exos. I still can't believe you are leaving with six liters, but you will have no problem putting that down in this weather. Are you starting at the state line trail? Give us a trip report when you get back.

  3. #3
    LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Join Date
    09-03-2002
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Age
    63
    Posts
    5,442
    Images
    558

    Default

    You shouldn't need the full 6L starting from Greenwood Lake, as you will definitely hit running water at Fitzgerald Falls. I can't quite recall how far that is from NY-17A, but it can't be more than 2-3 hours.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jersey joe View Post
    Good luck on your trip Exos. I still can't believe you are leaving with six liters, but you will have no problem putting that down in this weather. Are you starting at the state line trail? Give us a trip report when you get back.
    yea i know, i cant believe it either...i really wish i didnt have that extra weight but id rather have more ater and the pack get lighter as the day goes on. can always just refill one of the bladders.

    were starting at greenwood lake at the marina taking the blue trail up to the state line. ill definatley report when we return

  5. #5
    Serial Hiker
    Join Date
    09-11-2006
    Location
    Morris County, New Jersey
    Posts
    390
    Images
    1

    Default

    Have a great trip! Quite ambitious. I'll be looking forward to your trip report.
    perrito

    673.3 down, 1518.7 to go.

    "If a man speaks in the woods, and there is no woman there to hear, is he still wrong?"

  6. #6
    jersey joe jersey joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-12-2004
    Location
    Highlands Region, NJ
    Age
    45
    Posts
    1,914
    Images
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ExosC3 View Post
    yea i know, i cant believe it either...i really wish i didnt have that extra weight but id rather have more ater and the pack get lighter as the day goes on. can always just refill one of the bladders.

    were starting at greenwood lake at the marina taking the blue trail up to the state line. ill definatley report when we return
    State line trail(blue off greenwood lake) is the way to go, puts your right on the NY/NJ border. It is just straight up the ridge and not marked great, though hard to lose. Took me about an hour to get up there with the wife and kid a couple weeks ago.

  7. #7
    Registered User Raul Perez's Avatar
    Join Date
    11-24-2009
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Age
    41
    Posts
    590
    Images
    4

    Default

    I still hear water is scarce and Fits falls is but a trickle now. But trail magic is out there.

    Have a great trip

  8. #8
    Registered User sasquatch2014's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-19-2007
    Location
    Pawling NY
    Age
    51
    Posts
    1,986
    Images
    785

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    You shouldn't need the full 6L starting from Greenwood Lake, as you will definitely hit running water at Fitzgerald Falls. I can't quite recall how far that is from NY-17A, but it can't be more than 2-3 hours.
    We did get some rain here near the CT line but it didn't really make that big an impact. Some NoBo's I talked to two days ago said that with a bit of work they were able in about 10 min to fill a coke bottle 16oz from the "Falls" don't plan on water sources get it whenever you can and camel up bigtime. Both Telephone Pioneer and Wiley Shelters are completly dry.
    Often Accused, Often Guilty but Seldom Guilty of What I am Accused.

  9. #9

    Default

    hey guys i figured id do a little report now that we are back from the trip.

    for one thing, water is SCARCE...there were some lucky pick ups at roads from trail angels for the first 2 days but after that, basically nothing...fitz falls was bone dry, everything was bone dry...ran into a trail angel at bear mtn.. captian someting, he had left 15 gallons at one road crossing, which we had passed int he morning..he said by night, all 15 were empty..by the time i got to bear mtn, we were both 100% out of water and feeling not compltely normal..
    anyway, we made our way to the top of bear mountain and decided to cut it short and finish up in fall...did about 40 miles...disappointing really. the terrain in this section is very steep climbs on rocks and boulders, then steep decent, then straigh back up again...rough stuff..it was simply too hot and too dry, but we had a good few days out there..planning to finish the rest in last sept or october

  10. #10

    Default

    also, we did run into a number of thru hikers...

    Connecticut
    Gypsy Girl
    Watermelon

    a few others as well...they were all hopped up on ice cream from the creamery to notice that there was no water haha

  11. #11
    jersey joe jersey joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-12-2004
    Location
    Highlands Region, NJ
    Age
    45
    Posts
    1,914
    Images
    7

    Default

    Thanks for posting your trip report Exos...don't feel bad, this heat and lack of water cut my trip short too a few weeks back...it can be brutal out there. And it is amazing how just a day without much water in this humid 90 degree heat can really take a toll on the body/mind.

  12. #12

    Default

    yea it can happen quick...the last climb on the 3rd day was just so insanley steep and the sun was just blazing down on us with no coverage...think we got a little heat stroked there and were unable to properly re-hydrate that night due to lack of water and uncertainty of tomorrows water...the next day i finished my last liter and then i was dry for about 3 miles of climbing and decending to bear mtn with no water, was probably about 90 by the time we got to the top..$2.00 bottles of water were worth it to regain consciousness

++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •