WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: NC Weather

Images

Default NC Weather

Will be hiking from Deep Gap to Fontana Dam mid-October. What can I expect low temps to be that time of year?

Images

The night time lows range from around upper 30's to low/ mid 40's . I might add that October can be a wet month in that region so the temps. could feel even cooler .
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

October down here is a crap shoot...check the long range forecast before you go and plan for the worst.

In 2008 Dick Tracy had planned us a pretty neat ten day around and about on the AT and some big circles connecting on other Trails. We started in 80's F but three days in hit three straight days of 35F rain. Third day we agreed 'this ain't fun' and hiked out to go home. It can be fgreat and as illustrated can really suck at times. Sniow would be better than rain.

Second weekend in Oct last year me and Tagg started out at Deep gap for a weekend trip. Dipped into the teens that night and woke up the next morning on Standing Indian to snow. We weren't prepared and hiked out.
    "Keep on dreamin boy, cause when you stop dreamin it's time to die" -Blind Melon

Oct can (and probably will be) all over the place - but you shouldn't see lows lower than 30 - the days will be great and the views will be killer

Images

October is great, but wear some blaze orange, and bring a warm hat, gloves, etc.

Your choice of camping spot will greatly affect how cold you'll get at night. You can stay in a shelter and be buffetted by cold wind, or you can find a neat campsite tucked on the leeward side of a hill and stay relatively toasty.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    October down here is a crap shoot...check the long range forecast before you go and plan for the worst.
    Just like every other month of the year in WNC. I frove my arse off on Big Bald in mid July last year

Based on the katie-did bugs at night making their distinctive noise, the locals around these parts predict an eary frost...first week in Oct. down here in the valleys.

Default Find Weather Data

Quote Originally Posted by B.B. View Post
    Will be hiking from Deep Gap to Fontana Dam mid-October. What can I expect low temps to be that time of year?
    Research weather history here: http://weather.org/weatherorg_records_and_averages.htm

or

Weather records and averages here: http://weather.org/weatherorg_records_and_averages.htm

Oops, sorry.

The second link should be: http://www.weatherbase.com/?refer=

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

I have a friend who went to WCU and they had a saying: If you don't like the weather, stick around for 20 minutes, because it's sure to change.

Good luck with your hike!
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

++ New Posts ++