WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default OK!!! I give up!!!

The wife and I attemped to drive to Max Patch this past weekend. I Google-mapped the directions, and got hopelessly lost on some road that dead ended. We finally got back on Max Patch Road and came to a trailer with a lot of junk cars sitting around. There was a FS road through an open gate that led uphill, but by then I was out of the notion. Was this the road we should have taken? There was a sign that read Maple something Gap. After we gave up and headed for Hot Springs on NC 209, we passed a road marked Max Patch Road that came in from the left. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I'm not home so I can't help, but this is exactly why I have the ATC State Trail Guides. I'll post directions later if no one else does so before I get home.

If the last post doesn't help - maybe this map will.

Images

I-40 exit 7,Harmon Den, turn north depending on which way you are coming from, the road turns gravel within a few hundred feet. Travel 6.2 miles to the top of the mountain to "T" intersection and turn left, I think there is a brown forest service sign that reads Max Patch. The parking area is 1.5 miles on your right which is signed Max Patch if I remember correctly.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

On some maps, Harmon Den Road can also be named Cold Springs Creek Road. Go straight passing a FS kiosk, a bunch of road side campsites, and Harmon Den Rec Area. As you SMH said, you will come to a T-intersection, go left and stay with that main forest road. You will go pass a horse trail, then the AT with a wood stile, then the main parking area with kiosk is further up.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...=UTF8&t=p&z=15

You can also stop by Curtis's Standing Bear Hostel at the Waterville exit in TN for directions.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Default Help for your next hike?

Sorry to hear about your frustration - I've been in the same boat. I know this is too late to help you but I thought you might want to take a look at http://AppalachianTrail.rohland.org before your next hike. They have a database of AT parking/access areas. There are written directions, interactive Google maps and usually a Google map link of each parking area that includes a picture of the parking area. You can use the Google map link to generate directions from your location.

There's a great place to camp about at the "W" in West Creek.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by entirelynutz View Post
    Sorry to hear about your frustration - I've been in the same boat. I know this is too late to help you but I thought you might want to take a look at http://AppalachianTrail.rohland.org before your next hike. They have a database of AT parking/access areas. There are written directions, interactive Google maps and usually a Google map link of each parking area that includes a picture of the parking area. You can use the Google map link to generate directions from your location.

Yup, Great source ... exactly what i use ...
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...06485526057330

Facebook Group - Appalachian trail hiker's

I hike, therefore I stink.
    Images

Funny, I drove up there quite by accident 2 years ago while trying to shortcut over to hot-springs.
    If you don't have something nice to say,
    Be witty in your cruelty.

++ New Posts ++