WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default What should I be planning to eat?

Mostly, I pack dehydrated meals and go light on the cook kit. All I have is a heineken pot and homemade alky stove. Am I going to be able to resupply with dehydrated meals or should I be planning this differently?
    Planning my 2011 Long Trail E2E.

Images

Default food

Quote Originally Posted by Rush2112 View Post
    Mostly, I pack dehydrated meals and go light on the cook kit. All I have is a heineken pot and homemade alky stove. Am I going to be able to resupply with dehydrated meals or should I be planning this differently?
    You'll be fine. Plenty of grocery store stuff to make as well. You may just need to split some packets in half and save the other half for another night.

Quote Originally Posted by Llama Legs View Post
    You'll be fine. Plenty of grocery store stuff to make as well. You may just need to split some packets in half and save the other half for another night.
    Well, that's what I'm concerned with. If I'm going to be making up meals from grocery stores I'll need things like pots and something to eat out of and a stove with controllable temperature. Right now, my dinner is: Boil water, add to packet, wait, eat, put packet in trash bag.

Freezer bag cooking works well with an alky stove

Quote Originally Posted by HiKen2011 View Post
    Freezer bag cooking works well with an alky stove
    What I'm saying is, it looks like if I'm going to be shopping at grocery stores, I won't be able to do much freezer bag cooking.

where's the best chicken wings in Vermont along the Long trail?

You should be able to find things like Knorr Pasta Sides or Asian Sides at grocery stores. Pour boiling water into the foil packs - close the top and let it sit for 7 minutes - then eat it out of the bag. Works like freezer bag cooking without the need for freezer bags.

maybe you could . break your fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise.. lol..

Quote Originally Posted by 12ax7 View Post
    maybe you could . break your fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise.. lol..
    DAMMIT...I had that one coming.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by couscous View Post
    You should be able to find things like Knorr Pasta Sides or Asian Sides at grocery stores. Pour boiling water into the foil packs - close the top and let it sit for 7 minutes - then eat it out of the bag. Works like freezer bag cooking without the need for freezer bags.
    In my experience, the Knorr pasta sides bags end up leaking after a minute if you pour the water directly in them, I don't recommend it.

I still use them and simmer them for about half the time that the package says to. It works out well enough and who would complain about a hot meal at the end of the day?
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Get a ti pot that's around one liter. If your appetite is anything like mine after a week of hiking your Heine pot won't cut it volume-wise. Also - a flat, wide pot bottom catches heat better than a narrow one, so it's likely you'll use less fuel (especially if you're using alcohol which basically burns out of control once it reaches a boil).
    Another thing: you might actually be able to stir your food while it's cooking in a wide pot.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    I still use them and simmer them for about half the time that the package says to. It works out well enough and who would complain about a hot meal at the end of the day?
    Yep, the first thing I figured out was that I could ignore the directions on the package.

Boil, pour, wait a minute - eat.

The big advantage of a Mountain House type meal is that you can eat it out of the bag and not have to wash your pot. Which isn't that big of a deal if you wash the pot as soon as you finish eating.

You can use FBC with most of the stuff you would get from a grocery store. It's all about rehydration and not so much about cook time. Boil your water, have whatever food in a freezer bag, pour water in bag,

Oops my keyboard freaked out. Pour water in bag, seal bag, put in cozy and let sit for X amount of time then eat.

For example I like zatterans dishes. They say to bring to a boil and then simmer for 25 minutes. I add about a cup of cold water to my bowl (have used a freezer bag.) and let it sit for 10-15 minutes. Then I boil the remaining cup and a half or so of water, pour that into the bag, let it sit for like 5 more minutes and it's ready.

When in doubt just let it sit longer. The water doesn't have to be hot to rehydrate stuff either. This works fine for ramen, knorr sides, zatterans,near east, etc. Just either A) bring a bowl with you B) a pot with you instead of the heiny C) some freezer bags. I use a snowpeak 700 and typically pour cold water in and the food, let it sit for a bit, then just bring it to a boil in the mug and its ready. Then just wipe it out right after or make a cup of tea etc and it's clean.

++ New Posts ++