WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Looking for a comfortable cave to habitate jrwiesz's Avatar
    Images

Thumbs up Isle Royale National Park 2010

It's almost that time again!

The thimbleberries and critters are calling. So catch the waves on the Queen IV and let's get to the Snug Harbor dock!

I'm heading there tentatively 8/18/10 - 8/30/10, anyone else interested?

Isle Royale Rocks!
    "For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
    Carl Sagan

Images

Been having my eye on I'll Roy ul, for many years now. Going to happen on 8/3 but not until a flight from Tampa to Chicago, Amtrak to Milwaukee, then bus overnight to Houghton and the Ranger lll. This will be a side trip for me on the way to Glacier NP. I plan to spend 4 nights on the island and do some scouting for a longer trip later on. Never been to the north woods before.

Images

Default Nobody heading there?

Tentative to leave from Copper Harbor 8/18/10.

Anybody interested? One week and counting down.
    "For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
    Carl Sagan

Great pictures Jrwiesz thanks! I am leaving in few weeks, and I can't wait. One question, the USNP website says that everyone needs to filter water because of tapeworms. I chemically treat mine, it that fine?
    "not all who wander are lost" - Tolkien

Images

I'm going Sept 5 Sept - 12 Sept
    WalkingStick"75"

For all heading to IRNP I expect you all know you can rent a kayak/canoe in MI or MN, depending on what state you are ferrying across to IRNP from, and have it hauled over to the park on the same boat with you to do a hiking/canoeing/kayaking/portaging trek combination on the lakes in IRNP and around the many bays of the island. GRRREAT way to see and explore this wonderful and rarely visited NP!!!

The hiking is relatively easy in this NP.

I love Isle Royale, planning trip #5 for next summer, tons of wildlife every day and more quiet than one can imagine.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lorax 2011 View Post
    Great pictures Jrwiesz thanks! I am leaving in few weeks, and I can't wait. One question, the USNP website says that everyone needs to filter water because of tapeworms. I chemically treat mine, it that fine?
    I have always filtered[Sweetwater], and used a chemical[Viralstop] on top of that.

As far as just chemicals, to each his own; it's a crap shoot.

Just hope you don't end up doing that, literally.

HYOH.
    Carl Sagan

Images

Actually, chemicals do not penetrate the cysts that the parasites form. The only effective ways to treat the water is boiling or filtering. That has been the advice I have been given by the NPS and followed for decades.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    Actually, chemicals do not penetrate the cysts that the parasites form. The only effective ways to treat the water is boiling or filtering. That has been the advice I have been given by the NPS and followed for decades.
    Thanks Lyle, that is what I have been reading too. Anything special about IR water vs. other water sources? Are tapeworm cyst a huge concern? I really don't like the idea of buying a filter for one trip. Thanks!
    "not all who wander are lost" - Tolkien

You have to boil or filter. The parasite is present in the waters as it is part of the cycle between the moose and wolves. The eggs are eaten by the moose on the aquatic plants....then the moose are eaten by wolves who consume the worm and eggs and pass it through their feces back into the water. It is a cycle. Yes...filter or boil. I would boil.

++ New Posts ++