WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Shoulder Cushions for Pack

Do they make cushions for the shoulder/arm straps on packs? I am a lightly built kind of bony shouldered woman and my shoulders/collarbone area will get bruised after a few days of hiking with my pack. You can only tighten the hip strap so much for comfort, so I have to take some weight on my shoulders. I am hiking with a well fitted (fitted by Mountain Crossings) Osprey Ariel 65.

I thought of doing some sort of homemade cushions out of a sleeping pad or something like foam but wondered if anyone makes something that would go on or off easier?

Thanks.

I'm bony, too. I ducttaped some sheepskin seatbelt strap covers from the automotive aisle WallyWorld, and it helped. No fashion points, though.

Images

You need something like these, but not heavy canvas. Maybe it would give you an idea for making some. seems like three pieces of fabric, sewn along the long end, then put foam between two and sew those two together along the short end.

http://duluthpack.com/padded-shoulder-straps-pair.html

Images

Default shoulder pads

Auto parts stores sell a couple types (sheepskin, neoprene) that you could try. Less than $10 each. You might cut one in half even. On Amazon as well...

Images

a couple of strips of your ccf blue walmart sleepign pad duct taped would do fine as well. cheap and indestructible
    " It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid." ~Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Thanks for the replies. Looks like I'm going to have to make something then. I appreciate all the suggestions.

Default Wax applicator pads

I carry a couple of round car wax applicator pads that I picked up at the grocery store in the auto parts aisle. I made some covers from some scrap polyester I had and sewed some shoestrings to them. The pair weigh only .4 oz and I can move them to whatever hurts at the moment. They work surprisingly well and only cost $1.50.

I have seen shoulder pads; may have been military surplus. Maybe look into padding on the belt, too... distribute more weight to the hips.

I think most Osprey packs have load adjusters.

Because of a back problem I've been told to keep weight off my shoulders. I tighten the hip belt then loosen the shoulder straps. Usually I also have to tighten the load adjusters or load lifters (above the shoulder straps and attached to the pack) to keep the pack from bouncing. I can hike with no weight on my shoulders and back.

My favorite pack is an Osprey Exos 58. I can just reach up and grab the load lifter strap and a jerk will pull the pack close to my back.

Slosteppin

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slosteppin View Post
    I can just reach up and grab the load lifter strap and a jerk will pull the pack close to my back.

Slosteppin
    Can it be anybody or does it have to be a jerk?
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Images

A woman in a group I hiked with this weekend used the seatbelt strap covers on her pack. Didn't look too strange to me and she said they really helped. She had black sheepskin so they blended rather well with her straps.

Images

Default Strap pads

Hey Guys:

I made a pair of pads and all I used were old wash cloths and duct tape. Have been on my pack for the last 10 years and they work just fine.

John "CaptChaos" Knight
    Bowling Green, KY USA
    Capt. Chaos

Col. John "CaptChaos" Knight
    Bowling Green, KY USA

Images

Default pads

Here is what they look like below:

Capt. Chaos

Col. John "CaptChaos" Knight
    Bowling Green, KY USA

I used the sheepskins for quite awhile, but I eventually changed packs. How the weight was distributed in the pack (packing it purposely) as well as how the pack fit my body seemed to alleviate the problem all together.

I know the sheepskin pads are a much cheaper alternative, I just wanted to share that experience--not all packs will do that to you.

Hike smarter, not harder.

All good ideas.........but your pack doesn't fit right, Mountain Crossings or not.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

++ New Posts ++