WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Inexpensive Down Bag Question

Looking for a good sub-$200 down bag preferably 20-25 degree rating. Looking at the REI brand and Campmor barnd bags and possible the Marmut Medicine Bow. Anyone have any experience good or bad with any of these bags? Also any suggestions would be appreciated.
    "Keep on dreamin boy, cause when you stop dreamin it's time to die" -Blind Melon

Garlic
    Images

I used the Campmor bag for my first thru hike. It was the first down bag I ever tried and I was pleased with it. It turned out to be a fine bag for the PCT. I was sorry I waited so long to switch to down from synthetic. Some say the Campmor bag does not have a true rating, but that was not my experience--I spent some cold nights in the Sierra Nevada and North Cascades with it and it was fine for me. I didn't have any problems with the shell or loosing down. But if you can afford a better bag (the 550 down is poor quality), get it--you won't regret it. Get the best bag you can afford.

I don't see the Medicine Bow on Marmot's site, so it must be discontinued. I can't see if it has continuous baffles or not. I know the Campmor has continuous baffles, a feature I like because it allows you to shift down from top to bottom for different temperatures, but it does take more fussing which some don't like.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

IMO, Garlic is right on with the campmor bag. I own one, and our scout troop uses them. Good value, but not 20 degree bag, more like 30 depending on how you sleep. But cost/features is hard to beat.

Kind of depends on how long you want to keep the bag/use it. If a long time, I would vote for more $ invested upfront in high level, 800 fill power bag, good name brand. If you do that, you have bag that can last a very long time, and if you go away from being outdoors and want to sell it, not a problem, you get decent money back, no issue. Not many would buy a used campmor bag, many would buy a used western mountaineering bag.

Good luck. Also, size is real important. Try and go somewhere, slip in a few bags that you can find the exact dimensions on. Then you have a base for shopping brands that you can't try on, size wise.

It will mainly be used on section hikes. I plan to use it as an overquilt in my hammock. I'd rather have a bag than an overquilt as I might need to shelter up (like when I do the Smokey next year). I could probally go up to say $250 or so but that is the absolute limit of my funds. I do want something that will last though.
    "Keep on dreamin boy, cause when you stop dreamin it's time to die" -Blind Melon

Images

You can scoop a good down bag for that. If you can make out 250 for one it's worth it. Even 300. I look at it like this. It's my bed and my covers for extended periods of time and after only one week on any trail you'll be glad you didn't be too thrifty about it. My sleeping bags are the only thing that I consider neccessary to spend a crazy amount on. Some can get by and be glad about their sleeping bags but I on the other hand need exactly what I want. Emphesis on need.

Any suggestions on a good bag in that price range?

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

If you're going to use the bag primarily in a hammock as a quilt, why not just get a quilt instead? The nice folks at Jack r Better make some great quilt sin your price range, as do a few other cottage gear manufacturers. Check them out over on Hammock Forums.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hooch,

That was my first thought but I decided to go with a bag due to the fact that I will be staying in shelters some on my next hike. Also I may need to do some ground dwelling ( a sin I know) when I take my son camping. He's a little too young to sleep in a tent by himself and there's no room for him in the Blackbird.

Very excited! Just picked up a Montbell down SS #2 for 200 from them on a web deal! It's not the UL but I'm happy with the purchase.

Using a quilt like the jacks r better quilts is just as easy on the ground as in the hammock. Easier, really, since you don't need an underquilt. Lately when I use my old synthetic north face bag (due for replacement... it never lived up to its temp rating and now the loft is pretty flat anyways) I just zip up the bottom bit for my feet and leave the rest open and use it like a quilt. A good pad (I'm even happy with blue foamies) will insulate you from the ground far better than bag insulation that's been crushed under your weight.

You might want to check out http://www.geartrade.com/ I have noticed that Mountain Hardwear Phantoms come up for sale sometimes around you price range. Its a good site to find used gear at pretty cheap prices
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far". Theodore Roosevelt

Well, I think that is a great purchase, because I have the ULSS #2 and just love it, lol. I think you will be very pleased. I was going to suggest the Pinnacle bag, because I have seen them, seem real well made, and go on sale often. Kinda like the one you bought, not super ul, but so what, great warm bag, in your price range.

Have fun.

Hike smarter, not harder.

Heavy, but I think Luxurylite is still selling their overfilled bags for $99
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

++ New Posts ++