WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Greetings Felllow Travelers SerenitySeeker's Avatar

Default My first section hike,september,looking for group or other individuals to join

I am a begginner and this is my first section hike, hoping for more sections or a thru hike next year, but i am looking for a group or one or more individuals who would like to hike together, preferably ones who are either new or want a slower hikesince its my first.No vacation available this spring so for weather and heat reasons was planning sepember. I am open to suggestions to change this if there is a summer group. Probably looking at about 7 to 10 days, something more southern than northern and will take any sugestions as to the best place to hike for a 7 to 10 day begginner.In fact I am open to any and all suggestions. I am doing my reading and starting supplies, my goal is t be a hammock hiker, and for this section probably a cold food no stove hiker.

Greetings Felllow Travelers SerenitySeeker's Avatar

since it is so early in the planning and i havent set a vacation i can most likely change that to a longer hike or a different month, so i am somewhat flexible this early in.

As a beginner, I would look into Shanandoah National Park. Not too tough and should be plenty of places to get food, water and shelter if needed.

I am a Virginia section hiker. Because of work, I usually can only take long weekends. I could arrange this in September. I don't know how long you would be planning on spending on the trail. I agree about the Shenandoah section in the previous post. It's not easy, but certainly not hard and there are plenty of waystations, campgrounds, etc. along the way.

i will be willing to hike with you at SNP for a couple days....i love bears....

I was planning a Springtime hike in Shenandoah, but a family emergency put those plans on hold. September is a good possibility now. I'm interested.

New hiker here also. We are planning a few days in Sept. out of Erwin and ending at 19E. I was wondering if this is going to be too difficult? I have only done day hikes in the past. Kind of worried about this one. Would like to have input from all the experience folks out there.

Colonial Heights, Tennessee, United States
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by katma View Post
    New hiker here also. We are planning a few days in Sept. out of Erwin and ending at 19E. I was wondering if this is going to be too difficult? I have only done day hikes in the past. Kind of worried about this one. Would like to have input from all the experience folks out there.

Where do you plan to start & stop? I took my first AT hike last summer from Carvers Gap to 19E but would like to hook up this fall for another small, 1 or 2 night hike (due to work).

Sandra

El Sordo
    Images

I'm planning on hiking from Dennis Cove Road to Damascus sometime in October. My main criteria is the weather. Once it cools down I'm ready to go. If that fits in your plans then let me know.
    Dyslexics Untie!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SerenitySeeker View Post
    I am open to suggestions to change this if there is a summer group. Probably looking at about 7 to 10 days, something more southern than northern and will take any suggestions as to the best place to hike for a 7 to 10 day beginner.
    I might be doing a section in SW VA this fall. Most likely along Burke's Garden (aka "God's Thumbprint") and McAfee Knob/Tinker Cliffs. If that's of any interest to you.

We are planning a few days in Sept. out of Erwin and ending at 19E. I was wondering if this is going to be too difficult?
    My wife has hiked part of that section with me, so no, it is not too difficult. In fact, it's a beautiful section of the trail. Enjoy!

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

I planning a section hike starting at Fontana and finishing at Davenport maybe to Erwin if things work out. Starting 8/20 around noon.

International Man of Mystery BobTheBuilder's Avatar
    Images

Default I thought Roan was a beast

I have done that as a section, and the climb up Roan Mt. northbound was difficult for me. It is about a 2000 ft climb, if I remember correctly, but it also plays the cruel trick of getting steeper as you near the top. I think going north from 19E would be easier and about the same area, but then you have Pond Mt, which was also kind of a slog. Pretty views everywhere along those sections, though.

Quote Originally Posted by BobTheBuilder View Post
    I have done that as a section, and the climb up Roan Mt. northbound was difficult for me. It is about a 2000 ft climb, if I remember correctly, but it also plays the cruel trick of getting steeper as you near the top. I think going north from 19E would be easier and about the same area, but then you have Pond Mt, which was also kind of a slog. Pretty views everywhere along those sections, though.
    Ditto on what BobTheBuilder says about Roan. It's a beast but you do get to learn a bit of East TN history with a visit to the old hotel site on the top of Roan. Another option would be to start at Carver's gap and go north. The views on top of Hump Mountain are fantastic. Also, a stop at legendary Overmountain Shelter is worth it, even if it's only for a short break. Carver's to 19E is not too difficult except for the hike up Hump Mountain.

Images

Default Pen Mar to Rockfish Gap, September 25

Join me for all or part(s) of this section.

My brother and I are going mid September from Fontana to Davenport.......our plans are an 8 day hike. We are ne hikers and want to go slower to take in all there is to see!

I am starting this year too. I plan on section hiking starting at Springer and going about 10 miles per day for 10 days. I was looking at starting on Oct 4 or 5. I was supposed to go with a good friend, but he has been unemployed for about 1 1/2 years and just had an interview for a job possibly starting 9/1, so I'm thinking it's unlikely he'll get time off after one month. I still want to go though, and would be happy to talk to you about it if that time works.

Default Looking for Virginia hiking partners, esp. in SNP

I'm interested in finding hiking partner(s) for any AT hiking in the SNP (Shenandoah Natl Park). I'm located a few miles from the Thornton Gap Entrance in Sperryville/Luray Virginia, or further south toward Charlottesville VA is fine too. Looking at getting in shape & preparing for section hiking AT, down the road. Am not a beginner, but not highly experienced either -- probably "intermediate"

Images

Default SNP southbound

I will be starting at rt 16 (PA/MD border) on Sept 25, heading for Rockfish Gap. I will probably be at SNP around Oct 4. When are you thinking of starting?

Images

3 days if you push it. 4 days if you take your time. You'll be happy. Great view from Beauty Spot (check my photo gallery). The forest grove on Unaka is beautiful and magical. Great views in the Roan Highlands. Sure there are some long climbs, but, they eventually end. Lots of great camping. If Greasy Creek Friendly is still open, you should stop in there for some food/sodas or a stay in the bunkhouse.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

++ New Posts ++