WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default What is your favorite section of the IAT?

I like the classic Southern Kettle Moraine State Park route for the Ice Age Trail. You get lake views, farm views, prarie meadows, kettles and moraines. You also have a lot of close by attractions like Paraidise Spring, Ottowa lake, and if its hot at the southern end you can swim at Whitewater lake.

I live in Dane County and really have begun to like the completed sections near my house but agree with you, the Southern Kettle Moraine is really nice and probably the best.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I enjoyed hiking from Atkins to Damascus more than any other section.

It probably wasn't the most scenic or view-packed section I've hiked but I felt good, was in good spirits, the weather was nice, etc. which made for a great trip.

As many of us agree, our favorite section of the Ice Age Trail is the next one we're hiking to complete the thousand miles!

I love the topography of McKenzie Creek State Wildlife Area, the tunnel channel at new Straight Lake State Park--just outside Luck, the perched lakes and ice-walled lake plains at the Chippewa Moraine Visitor Center and prairie blooms/bur oaks at Table Bluff. All time favorite portions of the IAT are the ones I help build with the Mobile Skills Crew. So many memories of good times and campfire camaraderie.

When you reach Interstate park in St. Croix Falls, be sure to cross over to the MN side and walk through pothole canyons.

Does anyone have a direct link they can share with regards to Kettle Moraine State Park South? Thanks!
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/parks/name/kms/trails.html

If you want more info on the Ice Age Trail in KM South, let me know, but the link there has a mileage chart and some other info.

And as you said in the other thread, yes, you will have to pay the fees (and I think it costs more for you Chicago and other out of state people), not for hiking the trail, but for parking your car in state forest lot. You also have the option of instead buying an annual sticker if you think it'll be worth it for you. I'm guessing it would be cheaper to buy the annual pass after 2 or 3 nights of paying the daily fee but I'm not sure how the numbers work out. And yes the disadvantage of the Kettle Moraine sections is that the only opportunity for camping along the trail in these areas besides actual campgrounds is the shelters which are a flat fee regardless of how many people you have with you, which kind of makes sense but is a lot for one person.

If you want to avoid the fees and enjoy some good backpacking opportunities, check out some of the segments in northern Wisconsin. These are more a mixture of state, federal, county and other land and because I don't think the trail up there really goes through any state park or forest land in north central Wisconsin, you shouldn't have to pay any fees (well, maybe unless you land your car in a NF lot requiring a user fee).

Also to respond to the original question in the post... I don't have a favorite section per se, but it looks like the Chequamegon section may be some of the nicest based on some photos I saw. I don't like hiking by farm fields so much like the OP and prefer the lakes, forests and bogs of the north. My photos here: http://travel.webshots.com/album/560725850HoCmZm

I recently finished hiking some segments in Taylor Co., WI. which is what most of the photos toward the end are.

Quote Originally Posted by turtle fast View Post
    I like the classic Southern Kettle Moraine State Park route for the Ice Age Trail. You get lake views, farm views, prarie meadows, kettles and moraines. You also have a lot of close by attractions like Paraidise Spring, Ottowa lake, and if its hot at the southern end you can swim at Whitewater lake.
    This! For the past few years, I've ran in the La Grange area on the trails about once a week and I love it! (Anyone remember a few years back when someone lost their horse on the trail? I couldn't believe my eyes when we read a LOST HORSE sign out there!) Ottawa lake is a nice area too, although it gets really busy sometimes.

Funny!!!! Sir, sir I have seemed to lose my horse.... The La Grange area, any problem with mountain bikers? I almost got ran over one weekend when a guy came over a rise and did not see me (he was calling out to a friend) and hello...guy almost ditched into the trees and barely recovered. The prarie sections of the Scuppernong area are nice with the oak openings to the area behind the Kettle Moraine Headquarters.

++ New Posts ++