WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    AT 2012

Default how often can you get lost in the same place?

does this happen to you, too? there's a section of the CT AT that I've hiked twice recently, and each time I've come to a roughly 150 degree switchback on level ground, wandered past the switchback point on some rocks, realized i'd missed the switchback, turned around... and not been able to tell which trail i came on. Fine the first time, but the second time i felt like an idiot. i'll try again tomorrow and see if i can go for three! got my record beat already?
    Lazarus

Images

Do pranks count? Because I heard of a prank pulled on Bong a few years back...

Well, you are not alone in this. I think that we sometimes have an unconscious mental image of what the trail looked like and we just move along thinkng we are going in the right direction.

When my Dad became unable to drive, he often asked me to drive him on day trips to the places he remembered going. His vision and memory weren't very good and we often got lost for a while. We lived in Wisconsin and it seemed like every time we crossed the river to Iowa I was sure to get turned around fairly seriously. I was thinking about this one day and it occured to me that on the east side of the river I was used to navigating by the hills and valleys that drain to the river on the west. But in Iowa the land drains to the east. After I figured this out I did not get lost again.

Backpacker
    Images

in my highschool days my buddies and I would always get lost looking for this certain cabin on a mountain in NH. Of course we had no idea what we were doing and for some reason insisted on hiking at night and in the rain... etc.

Took 5 trips up that mountain until I finally stayed at the cabin.

Images

i don't know how many times driving in the pines in my CJ i'd look at the kids and say "we've been lost here before haven't we?"
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Images

um, I don't get lost, just tend to lose my specific bearings relative to the larger scale
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

Images

Not just on the trail. I've lived in this little city for almost 14 years, and.......

I can top that. While concentrating on the rocks, I've hit my head on the same branch on the south side of Dragon's Tooth 3 TIMES. I did however stop myself from kicking the tree and hurting my foot this time.

I'm "famous" for saying "I don't know where I am but I know I've been lost here before."
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jay View Post
    I can top that. While concentrating on the rocks, I've hit my head on the same branch on the south side of Dragon's Tooth 3 TIMES. I did however stop myself from kicking the tree and hurting my foot this time.
    Bring Saw, Cut Branch next time.
    “Only two things are infinite; The universe and human stupidity,
    And I’m starting to wonder about the universe.”
    Albert Einstein

Images

Senility is never pretty.

Quote Originally Posted by 1azarus View Post
    i'll try again tomorrow and see if i can go for three!
    You could become a trail maintainer with the CCAMC and improve the blazing. My blazing paint is Sweeping Blue 2408 so I can't help.

The "mental images" that one person mentioned play a huge role in how we do in survival situations or when we're lost. If any of you want to read a GREAT book on the subject, I highly recommend "Deep Survival: Who Live and Dies in the Wilderness and Why." One of my favs. He gets into our mental maps and how the people who survive are able to change their mental maps more quickly than people who don't survive. The ones that don't try and hang on to how they were viewing the situation before (their old map) instead of changing their map to fit the new situation (the potential new map). Kids younger than like 8 or 10 do great when they get lost, because they aren't as attached to their mental maps (or maybe don't even really have any) and so they accept their circumstances readily and don't get panicked. It's very interesting stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    i don't know how many times driving in the pines in my CJ i'd look at the kids and say "we've been lost here before haven't we?"
    By the Pines you mean the Pine Barrens in NJ? and what year CJ?

I took my 79 CJ-7 there many a time and said the same thing.
    Last edited by twosticks; 08-20-2010 at 16:49. Reason: Too many y's

I took my boy in Raccoon Creek State Park a few weeks ago. I hiked this 20 mile loop several times and from different direction. This particular weekend,must of had a brain fart and traveled 8 miles the opposite direction of what I wanted. I kept thinking the whole time. something didn't seem right,but what I remember of the stuff along the trail the trail and said. We must be going in the right direction. Cause here is this section of trees.

I should have looked at the map instead of putting it in my map. DUh!!! what a way to teach my boy about hiking and finding your way.

When you're lost, you're learning!

Or as we used to say in motorsports, "See America: Get Lost On A Rally!"
    "It goes to show you never can tell." - Charles Edward Anderson Berry

AT 2012

Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post
    I'm "famous" for saying "I don't know where I am but I know I've been lost here before."
    well, I like that. I was soooo careful today... and did not get lost for the third time in the same place. I'm very proud of myself. You all have helped me to see the virtue of lossedness, and I thank you for that.
    Lazarus

Images

well, I like that. I was soooo careful today... and did not get lost for the third time in the same place. I'm very proud of myself. You all have helped me to see the virtue of lossedness, and I thank you for that.
    Glad to see that the 3rd time was the charm.

I was like you were having amnesia and deja-vu at the same time.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

I travel most of nine states.
    I am rarely lost, but consistantly recognize where to turn around to get where I am going.

does this happen to you, too? there's a section of the CT AT that I've hiked twice recently, and each time I've come to a roughly 150 degree switchback on level ground, wandered past the switchback point on some rocks, realized i'd missed the switchback, turned around... and not been able to tell which trail i came on. Fine the first time, but the second time i felt like an idiot. i'll try again tomorrow and see if i can go for three! got my record beat already?
    What section of the Colorado Trail crosses the Appalachian Trail?? Now I'm lost.
    "So what if theres a mountain, get over it!!!" - Graywolf, 2010

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++