WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: bibles

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Fhart View Post
    ...on my HP100LX in 1998.
    The 100 .. a result of HP's "Cougar" project. I still have the HP95LX .. which still works fine after 19 years. When I took my 95LX to COMDEX in 1992, it was the first time the HP Engineers had ever seen one with the letters on the keys worn off from heavy usage.
    ~ Sorry, way off task. Hopefully nobody will mention generating punch cards for Job Control Language on an IBM 370 or I'll REALLY get distracted.
    ~ Ok, back on task. Just FYI there are Waterproof Bibles - 8.7 x 5.9 x 1.3

Images

Mormon missionaries should be able to hook you up with tiny King James Bible's with the New and Old Testament in separate books. I think I have some around the house. I can measure them, but I may not be able to offer an accurate weight. Let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by SMSP View Post
    You memorize it, then just recite as you go, I'm just saying.

SMSP
    I think I saw that movie recently....

http://www.fandango.com/thebookofeli.../movieoverview

Images

Yeah, that was a good movie too!

SMSP

Images

Quote Originally Posted by T-Dubs View Post
    I think I saw that movie recently....

http://www.fandango.com/thebookofeli.../movieoverview
    NO. Fahrenheit 451 by ray bradbury. at the end when all the books are burned people walk around and memorize books. good read and good movie
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Stir Fry

[QUOTE=jeepcachr;1041685]Bibles in many translations can be bought in MP3 format and easily copied to a mp3 player. You don't have to go through the work of ripping and appropriately naming CD's. I've tried listening to the Bible and I generally lose attention after a chapter or 2. One advantage could be that you can listen while you walk, that would be difficult to do while reading.

I put the bible on my Ipod and mixed it with songs. Mite here 2 chapters in a row then a song or two the a verse. Worked for me and kept me intrested.

Images

http://www.lifewaystores.com/lwstore...sbn=0310615755

LIfeway sells compact Bibles that have both the old and new testaments. The print is very small, but if you got good eyesight then this would be perfect.

Christ Seeker: Just a word from someone who is old but still seeking: learn your "Old Testament". As a Christian it wasn't until I met a former Jewish (well, still Jewish by birth) man who stressed the importance of knowing the books before Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John. I used to think that Christianity is a religion separate from Judaism. Quite the contrary. Christianity was never intended to end (or replace) Judaism, but to build on it. The 12 apostles were Jews who followed a Jewish Rabbi, Jesus (Y'shua, since there was no such name as "Jesus" at the time of his birth). They were first called Christians by others outside of the Church. Much of the New Testament scripture is composed of scriptures quoted from the "Old" and explained by the writer, much as a modern day Rabbi would expound on scripture.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

Thank you everyone for posting a comment. I learned so many new types of bibles.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by christseeker View Post
    I'm planning on hike the trail this upcoming year but at the same time I want to read the bible cover to cover though this journey. But I can't find a good bible that is small and light. Any suggestions? Thanks
    A good pack bible is hard to find, but they are out there if you search for it. I have a 6x4x4 zipper KJV that has been with me on the trail for many years. I suggest that you begin reading the Bible thru as you prepare for your thru hike and take it with you. You will be surprised at how it will affect your outlook for the coming hike.

Happy trails.
    Arise, walk through the land in the length of it and in the breadth of it; for I will give it unto thee. Gen 13:17

Baron
    Images

Lightbulb

I gotta be honest, the idea of reading through The Law for "fun" whilst traipsing about the mountains is not appealing. I strongly suspect you may find yourself skipping large portions of the Bible right about the time you are instructed not to wear polycotton(which of course clashes with what every good hiker knows...don't wear cotton period! ).

Why not another book? I don't specifically mean a non-religious book, just that there are others out there were large sections aren't mindbogglinig tedious.
    ‎"You know your camping trip really isn't going well when you find yourself hoping to stave off sepsis with a six-pack of Icehouse. "

"Age is not an accomplishment, and youth is not a sin."

I remembered to take a picture and do some weighing over the weekend.
    Being nearsighted I have to take my glasses off to read either of them, but they both contain the old and new testaments.

Images

Couscous,
    Can you tell me who the publisher of the KJV is, My KJV by Holman is 18 oz.
    I like 4.6 oz. much more!!
    Thanks!!
    MW

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

we did this same thing. i took my postal scale to the store with me, picked out the lightest version (which happened to be new living translation around 6 oz), but i decided to go with the lightest NIV, which was around 7 ounces. we read through cover to cover during our thru. it was great!
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Images

Holy moly, check these out:

Better pictures are available here about 2/3rd's of the way down.
    http://www.ismenio.com/bibles.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Wildman View Post
    Couscous,
    Can you tell me who the publisher of the KJV is...
    It was printed by Collins Clear Type Press, London & New York, but that was 55 years ago and I've been unable to find any mention of it online. I did find a smaller / lighter version for people with 100x vision. Micro Bible

Images

Unhappy Micro Bible

Quote Originally Posted by couscous View Post
    It was printed by Collins Clear Type Press, London & New York, but that was 55 years ago and I've been unable to find any mention of it online. I did find a smaller / lighter version for people with 100x vision. Micro Bible
    Thank You!!
    I'll do some research on Collins Clear, My eyesight is not good enough to use a Micro Bible!!

Images

just talk with Him directly, He is always up for a good convo. otherwise theres really small sectional versions that are ultralight if ur eyes are good
    I broke a mirror in my house. I'm supposed to get seven years bad luck but my lawyer thinks he can get me five.

Quote Originally Posted by SMSP View Post
    You memorize it, then just recite as you go, I'm just saying.

SMSP
    This is how I've done it. . . I've memorized the length of the new testament and almost half the books of the old testament and I just draw from whatever book I need as I hike. . . hope you have wonderful hike. . .

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++