WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I'm just going to note that I was out on the Monroe Skyline two weekends ago -before the monsoons- and I was surprised at how muddy it was. Battell was running great, and I didn't bother going down to Glen Ellen. I didn't check the actual spring at Theron Dean, but I noted that there was a spring or stream of some sort running very well right below the Dean's Cave spur just to the north of the shelter, and more water past that. If the spring is dry, NOBO's might want to check within a 1/2 mile north up the trail. It's a great little shelter with a lovely view, and obviously little used as well (the outhouse was the cleanest I'd ever seen). The section from Theron Dean down to App Gap was hugely muddy, I went knee deep in one spot, so look before you leap.

I am not sure if it was fixed or not...But back in mid-August the water pump at Shoot Star was broken. Quick tip...if gondola/big house structure is open on Jay's Peak only use the water in a gatorade dispenser. Any running water up there is non-usable. They do have bathrooms inside as well. But its rather hard to break into the building without a forced entry. You actually need to climb up the big opening where the gondola is and get in that way. Haha. They also have a TV.

Also, I could never find the water source on Stark's nest.

Images

Good and wet on Stratton as of 10/9/10. I was short on time, so didn't find the water source, per se, 0.6 mi. south of summit. But there was plenty of water. I think the best source would be Deerfield River branch at the Kelly Stand/Arlington Road bridge. Also good, about 1.6 miles northeast, is a creek which crosses the AT/LT. Of course the Pond is great, I'm sure, if you get to it - wasn't on my itinerary.

How did you miss the spring on Stratton? It's a piped spring that actually crosses the trail not too far from the summit (actually, the "pipe" is a piece of angle-iron). And the water is cold and delicious!

The river at the road crossing is reliable, but my opinion is that spring water is best, followed by streams, creeks, rivers, lakes, and finally swamps. Rivers are way down on my list because they tend to be found at lower elevations, and my preference is to not treat my water....and with rivers, you really have no idea what pollutants (biological or chemical) are in them.

With that spring near the top of Stratton, you have a fair idea that it's not polluted. There's only a few acres above it, and then the water is filtered through the earth.

One of the very best aspects of the LT is the wonderful, pure water that can be found in so many places!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by StubbleJumper View Post
    How did you miss the spring on Stratton? It's a piped spring that actually crosses the trail not too far from the summit (actually, the "pipe" is a piece of angle-iron). And the water is cold and delicious!
    I missed it because I didn't look for it. I was in hustle mode. Started at Kelly Stand at 1:50 pm (leaf peeper traffic exacerbated my already late start). Being still slow, I had to hustle for all I was worth to make summit at 4:50, so no time to tarry and explore. I know more or less *where* the source is - the wet stretch just above the nice south overlook to Snow/Reservoir/Greylock - just didn't see the pipe. Had plenty of water and no time, is the sum and substance of it.

Quote Originally Posted by StubbleJumper View Post
    With that spring near the top of Stratton, you have a fair idea that it's not polluted. There's only a few acres above it, and then the water is filtered through the earth.

One of the very best aspects of the LT is the wonderful, pure water that can be found in so many places!
    Thanks for the tip, StubbleJumper! As my family name is Stratton, this first trip to the big hulk in southern VT will certainly not be my last.

Images

PS: Leaving from the tower at 5, I just made it back to the car as dusk fell. Slipped a couple times in the semi-dark on the last mile of trail, but made it intact. so hustle mode was very much in order. Loved the spruce forest at the top and - more on the descent than on the ascent, I thought the boulder field on the shoulder of "Little" Stratton was beautiful. It was also neat that it was peak foliage for the first mile or two, but once one got to about 3000', enough leaves had fallen in the stiff winds that day that it was past peak.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++