WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Bennington, RT 9 Lot

I was thinking of leaving my car at the RT. 9 parking lot in Bennington for my upcoming nobo hike to the Canadian border. Would leaving my car there for three weeks be a bad idea? Any comments welcome, I'm planning on leaving in a week.
    -milkman

got soul?

Images

I have left one of our cars there for 3 days before and not had any problems, can't say I could recommend 3 weeks though. I know there have been some past vandalization reports...

Try to contact someone from the section that covers the trail maintenance for this area. They would most likely be your best resource for answering what your risk is and if they advise against leaving a car, what alternatives you might have.

http://www.bennington.com/outingclub/

I walked through that parking lot on two separate occasions recently. The first was in the beginning of July and the second was about 2 weeks ago. Both times, I saw broken glass. That was enough for me. I left my vehicle at different trailheads. You might want to try the Greylock Community club in North Adams, MA.

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyblisters View Post
    I was thinking of leaving my car at the RT. 9 parking lot in Bennington for my upcoming nobo hike to the Canadian border. Would leaving my car there for three weeks be a bad idea? Any comments welcome, I'm planning on leaving in a week.

You might want to try and locate a hiker-friendly business or somewhere else in Bennington to leave a vehicle for that long. A motel, B&B, restaurant; maybe a municipal lot near a police station. Then hitch or shuttle to the Rt. 9 AT trailhead.

Bonus: Upon your return, however you're getting back, getting a ride to downtown Bennington might prove to be easier than to the Rt. 9 trailhead.

Images

Great suggestions, all! Thanks, I'm sure I'll figure something out.
    -milkman

got soul?

The Community Club is the way to go. 413-664-9020. They are hiker friendly. 500ft east of AT on Rt 2 in North Adams, approx 4 miles south of LT trail head.

Cosmo

Quote Originally Posted by redseal View Post
    I walked through that parking lot on two separate occasions recently. The first was in the beginning of July and the second was about 2 weeks ago. Both times, I saw broken glass. That was enough for me. I left my vehicle at different trailheads. You might want to try the Greylock Community club in North Adams, MA.

++ New Posts ++