WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Registered User Prettywoman0172's Avatar
    Images

Default Hello from a Newbie Dreamer

Hey, hey...I discovered the AT kinda by accident this summer when I drove the east coast. In PA I camped in the Michaux State Forest and that is where I first saw it Intrigued I googled it while charging my iPad at Starbucks one morning and learned about its history. I stayed in Michaux for 8 days (was only supposed to stay 1!!!) which was the longest we stayed at any place during the trip.

There is just something about it. Something I cant get out of my head. And I want it. So, I am planning a hike in 2011. I would ideally like to attempt a thru-hike but, well, I have a lot of kids and I go to school and I have a job...and I am thinking I probably wont be able to take the 5-6 mos I would need to hike it all at once. But I am going. I am. And I'll see how far I get.

I am 38, single/divorced mom of 6. I have amazing parents that are very supportive of me and my tendency to do stupid stuff, so they are willing to take on the kids and let me go

I am physically fit. After spending my entire life overweight, topping off at over 300lbs, I lost 175lbs in a little less than 9mos almost 2 years ago. I am an avid runner, although I am nursing two bad stress fractures right now.
    I also cycle, walk, hike, and love camping.

I am a seasoned camper and am accustomed to walking and running long distances. But I have never hiked with a pack before.

I am rambling It's nice to be here

Ann

Welcome Ann. It sounds like you've come to the right place! I'm a 47 year old woman and did my first backpacking trip last October. Now I'm planning my second solo hike and really exited to be heading for some of the highest places on the AT in Fall!

I'm not sure what bug it is that bites us, but it's potent. I got bitten in the Shenandoah Nat Park in 2008 on a day hike...the first time I'd ever been on the AT. I read Awol's book and that was it...I knew what I wanted to do.

Congrats on the weight loss also. That is wonderful! Good Job!

Quote Originally Posted by Prettywoman0172 View Post
    Hey, hey...I discovered the AT kinda by accident this summer when I drove the east coast. In PA I camped in the Michaux State Forest and that is where I first saw it Intrigued I googled it while charging my iPad at Starbucks one morning and learned about its history. I stayed in Michaux for 8 days (was only supposed to stay 1!!!) which was the longest we stayed at any place during the trip.

There is just something about it. Something I cant get out of my head. And I want it. So, I am planning a hike in 2011. I would ideally like to attempt a thru-hike but, well, I have a lot of kids and I go to school and I have a job...and I am thinking I probably wont be able to take the 5-6 mos I would need to hike it all at once. But I am going. I am. And I'll see how far I get.

I am 38, single/divorced mom of 6. I have amazing parents that are very supportive of me and my tendency to do stupid stuff, so they are willing to take on the kids and let me go

I am physically fit. After spending my entire life overweight, topping off at over 300lbs, I lost 175lbs in a little less than 9mos almost 2 years ago. I am an avid runner, although I am nursing two bad stress fractures right now.
    I also cycle, walk, hike, and love camping.

I am a seasoned camper and am accustomed to walking and running long distances. But I have never hiked with a pack before.

I am rambling It's nice to be here

Ann
    Good Luck to you! You sound like you are a determined individual and will most likey do well out there. Just make sure to get hiking with a loaded up backpack you plan to use. The initial instances of hiking with the loaded backpack will definately cause your body to need some time adjusting/adapting/recovering.

Images

Oh, I have been reading LOTS and LOTS of books...Just Passin' Thru, Awol on the AT, Walking with Spring, A Walk in the Woods and a bunch of blogs about thru-hiking. Makes me want it more

Ann

Thru-hiking does a number on your metabolism. Most people gain a lot of weight back after their hikes. Hope you are okay with that. It's not a diet plan by any means. It's like the anti-diet plan.

Try to get in a lot of day-hiking under difficult conditions. It really helps to know how to deal with dehydration or cold or whatever conditions might be difficult for you. If you can get any backpacking in, that's good too. The thing is, backpacking on a long trail like the AT or PCT really isn't the same as backpacking other places. It's more fun and social. Still, it's good to know your gear.

I'd recommend looking up ultralight backpacking. You may not want to go that light, but going lighter than what some gear shop dude will recommend really does help a lot. Plus knowing good ultralight techniques can actually save you money (despite all the misinformation around here).
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Images

Uuuhhh, no, I would NOT be ok with weight gain any way any how.

Glad ya found us, hiking is what we do here..mostly. Enjoy yours

you might also want to do some section hiking with the kids. Expose them to the trail and instill a love of the outdoors in them.

For now that is what I will be doing. When the kids are grown and gone I will do my thru-hike.

Well, looks like you're infected with the thru-hiker disease. Yep, looks like a classic case to me... If you're lucky, you'll get a dose of the cure in the form of a long distance hike. I wish you well.

Welcome to WB.

BTW, have you had time to check out some journals on http://www.trailjournals.com ? Pick a coupe and follow along. It's a great way to see how other hikers handle a thru.

All the Best!

Quote Originally Posted by Prettywoman0172 View Post
    Uuuhhh, no, I would NOT be ok with weight gain any way any how.
    most people gain alot of weight after they tru hike because they dont continue to exercise when they get home... they are still used to being starved on the trail and they come home and eat alot and dont work out. you will be fine as long as you come home after your hike and eat right and continue to exercise
    ~id rather be lost in the woods~

Images

Thank you Stunt Man!

BTW, the name for the bug is Hikersensivitus. It effects all and every hiker who steps on a trail. No cure. Sorry. No way, no how.. The only way to lessen the symptoms is hiking.. Thats it..I have a topic here in the General forums somewhere. Check it out..
    "So what if theres a mountain, get over it!!!" - Graywolf, 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Graywolf View Post
    BTW, the name for the bug is Hikersensivitus. It effects all and every hiker who steps on a trail. No cure. Sorry. No way, no how.. The only way to lessen the symptoms is hiking.. Thats it..I have a topic here in the General forums somewhere. Check it out..
    I believe this is the link: www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=64406

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    Well, looks like you're infected with the thru-hiker disease. Yep, looks like a classic case to me... If you're lucky, you'll get a dose of the cure in the form of a long distance hike.
    There's also the Bag Night Disease, caused by the Jeremiah Johnson Pinching Flagellate which enters the brain and causes previously home-addicted persons to sleep outside every night. I would recommend you start your Bag Night count and start sleeping out in the backyard or on the deck every night. Summer and winter. Live on a Thermarest. Sleep under a bush. On a porch in a bedroll.

Thruhikers don't necessarily have the Bag Night disease, and often after their hike they don't ever want to sleep outside again. The quest for bag nights works in all situations, including long trail thruhikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    There's also the Bag Night Disease, caused by the Jeremiah Johnson Pinching Flagellate which enters the brain and causes previously home-addicted persons to sleep outside every night. I would recommend you start your Bag Night count and start sleeping out in the backyard or on the deck every night. Summer and winter. Live on a Thermarest. Sleep under a bush. On a porch in a bedroll.

Thruhikers don't necessarily have the Bag Night disease, and often after their hike they don't ever want to sleep outside again. The quest for bag nights works in all situations, including long trail thruhikes.

I would call this, "Bagnightus syndrome", Its really a mild case, unless you don't nourish it..

and if this forum infects you just like hiking, also check out the www.backpackers.com as it also might give you some ideas on gear, hiking areas,,but this forum,,will keep you arroused to the AT and anything else you that stimulates you. Welcome,,and happy hiking. Ask anything. There is someone here that has a answer to your questions.

Quote Originally Posted by stunt man View Post
    most people gain alot of weight after they tru hike because they dont continue to exercise when they get home... they are still used to being starved on the trail and they come home and eat alot and dont work out. you will be fine as long as you come home after your hike and eat right and continue to exercise
    I think this is only partially true. I continued to exercise and did not pig out when I got home and I still gained all the weight back.

Someone posted a really good link about this in the health section. Someone suggested that the heavy duty exercise of a thru-hike actually resets your metabolism so that your body is more efficient, more like paleo man. It's not so much that you eat too much when you come home, but your body is no longer optimized to eat a lot of simple carbs and sit at a job all day. Your insulin response is changed. I sensed that something had changed within myself. I think next time I thru-hike I will come home and eat only meat and vegetables. Coming home and eating only peaches and grapefruit didn't work because it was probably too high in carbs and sugars.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Images

The idea that I could re-gain all of the weight (175lbs) that I lost two years ago because of a long distance hike might just be what makes me decide that it just isnt worth it. I would rather die than re-gain that weight.

I think you are just very apt to regain whatever weight you might lose during your long-distance hike - not what you lost a couple of years ago. Congrats!
    Transcriber :)

Images

How on earth did you lose 175 lbs in 9 months? And barfing doesn't count. Neither do laxatives.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++