WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Backside of Hump (Nobo towards 19E)

Taking a hike with a few women late November through this area. Have one individual where extreme downhill might be an issue with a healing injury.

Is the back side of hump heading down to 19e NOBO an extreme downhill with rocks, or no worse than any others in the south. I have heard conflicting reports and want to get some opinion on this. It looks from the guidebook that it's almost 5 miles of downhill from the top of hump to the road, is all of it super steep?

Thanks for any suggestions or advice on this
    ad astra per aspera

Springer-->Stony Brook Road VT MedicineMan's Avatar
    Images

do the math, 3000 feet over 5 miles and no it's not rocky at all compared to states up north....Hump is my favorite mountian in the world
    Start out slow, then slow down.

Images

Not rocky, no. The first stretch is a grassy bald, great views, watch out for longhorn cattle. (Seriously.) Then you enter the woods for a while, then out in the open again at Doll Flats (nice spot for a break.) Then it's back into the woods for some heavily switchbacked downhill all the way to 19-E.

The entire section is steep, but pretty well graded if my memory serves. But yeah, once I got to the bottom, my knees were moderately unhappy with me. (But we rushed to get down the last few miles -- we had a reservation for the king room with the jacuzzi at the Mountain Harbour B&B. Good for the knees.)
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Isn't there a rather rocky section on the way down to 19E? I seem to remember having to guess where the trail went for a hundred or so yards over a rock-hopping stretch.

There is a short rocky section as you start down. Not too bad but it was icy at the time.
    "If you don't know where you're going...any road will get you there."
    "He who's not busy living is busy dying"

Thanks for the info....yeah, it's that last little stretch that I'm referring to down to 19e at the end. Sounds like it's not so bad. I'll probably go hike it myself in October. Anybody been up there lately, 2 water sources good?
    ad astra per aspera

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

The last bit down to 19E was easy. I hiked down in 6" of snow (late October 2008) and slipped twice within 10 feet on those rocks near the top mentioned by bulldog49, but all-in-all it was a pretty nice trail.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

I have done that area a large number of times. Twice with a bad right knee. It's doable. The rocky section isn't terribly long and it's good footing. Water sources in the area are reliable and I think it's been wet this year. So you might find more.

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Smile View Post
    Thanks for the info....yeah, it's that last little stretch that I'm referring to down to 19e at the end. Sounds like it's not so bad. I'll probably go hike it myself in October. Anybody been up there lately, 2 water sources good?
    Just did it last weekend (Iron Mountain Gap to 19E NOBO). As others said the first mile or so is fairly rocky and somewhat steep by NC standards. Then there is another rocky section a little ways down past that. The rest of the descent is well graded switchbacked trail. As of last weekend all water sources were flowing well with the exception of Bradley Gap...it was a trickle. There is an additional spring 1/4 mile SOBO of Bradley Gap that's flowing better. By the way, when I refer to Bradley Gap I am talking about the campsites in the trees a little South of the spot that has a marker indicating Bradley Gap, which is in the bald area.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I would say the sections around Stan Murray are steep. Its possible all the relocations are now open, and is now hillside & switchbacked.

Now Hump has some rocky spots but just take it slow. The trail down Houston Ridge is fairly gradual. When the trail re-enters the woods north of Houston Ridge, the trail starts to be nothing but flat-top rock work until Doll Flats. I have arthritis in my ankles, and I was able to do it. Just take it slow and its fine. As for the final drop from Doll Flats, there are a couple big steps. But nothing too hard.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Thanks so much for all of the input, I think it will be doable for the one of our group that's worried about it. I'll go hike it in October as well, sounds like a great section!

I'll keep a note of that other spring too, thanks for the heads up on that Berserker

I also heard it was a fairly 'busy' section this time of year.
    ad astra per aspera

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

I'll keep a note of that other spring too, thanks for the heads up on that Berserker
    Oh yeah, and just to be clear because my description of the other spring was quite vague, it's maybe 1/4 mile South of where the trail makes a hard right where side trails go off to the camp spots in the trees. It crosses the AT, and so it should be quite obvious assuming it's flowing.

Default Had to check it out....

OK, great descriptions. I decided to head over to hike it for myself to check it out. Great weather, lots of sunshine and water not a problem at all. Headed from Carver's Gap, and stayed at Doll flats. Lunch at Overmountain, passed several pods of boy scouts coming out, they did not put out their fire when I arrived at overmountain ( Sunday), lots of berries in right now!

Up and over hump, with several day hikers that came up from the 'valley'' where there are houses/development just in the saddle there - no mention of these trails "out" if needed in either guidebooks I had. Would be nice to know about these since I passed several folks with just camera's and no water climbing hump and back down. Also, a bunch of cut trees there, possibly an attempt to keep the balds bald? Anybody know about this section of cut trees ( probably done within past month or more?) Spoke to a SOBO named "Macgyver".

Dolls flats aok, some broken glass all over at one end of camping area, and sadly a great campsite spot out of the wind behind a huge rock was the outdoor privy/trash pit of choice apparently, pretty gross. Wind was very loud, and I appparently did not hear the bear that scratched the hard packed dirt around the campfires, and about 10 feet from my tent, hung my food, but definately bear area. Good spring there too, running nice.

Windy night, then down the descent to 19 e, thanks everyone - it was described perfectly. Possible homeless or out of luck hiker at the Apple House shelter, stuff strewn everywhere, he was definately moved in for a few days. Was told about him by several other hikers I met early on. Ran into him, he was an older guy, seemed pretty cool, but had a very ripped official tan ATC conference shirt on, patch on the sleeve and everything. Not sure what he was up to, but not a threat IMHO.

Down the backside of the mtn. after doll flats was long, and a little rocky in spots, but some nice level spots too! What I would have done differently? I would have liked to have had 'real boots' on the back side of hump down Houston's ridge and out to the road. Hiked in Keen sandals, and they were a little lean for the rocks.
    Last edited by Smile; 08-30-2010 at 21:43.
    ad astra per aspera

Images

Possible homeless or out of luck hiker at the Apple House shelter, stuff strewn everywhere, he was definately moved in for a few days. Was told about him by several other hikers I met early on. Ran into him, he was an older guy, seemed pretty cool, but had a very ripped official tan ATC conference shirt on, patch on the sleeve and everything. Not sure what he was up to, but not a threat IMHO.
    Did he call himself Heavy Metal?
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

No, he did not mention his name, and was busy talking about his mail drop being held up in Erwin for a month and getting to the post office. He had some good gear, so the other hikers may have thought he was 'homeless' or 'stuck'. He was just messy, but no one really stays that close to the road in shelters anyway I figure.
    Last edited by Smile; 08-30-2010 at 21:53. Reason: typo
    ad astra per aspera

Images

We did that section this summer. It wasnt that bad, but the rockysection before and after Doll Flats was a bit unnerving the pouring lightning filled rain.

My buddy had a bad knee so the rocky sections took a bit longer than optimal. But we did it. And if some out of shape Florida Flatlanders can, you guys ( gals) can.

Springer-->Stony Brook Road VT MedicineMan's Avatar
    Images

Just did this section this weekend SoBo 19E--->Carvers Gap.
    I made mental note of the 'rocks' in question. Out of the 5 miles either coming or going you'll have mabe 100 yards total of rock. While walking I was basking in how easy the tread is in the south.
    If/when bored hears my trip report:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyodIWafyog
    I was conditioning and gear testing for next months longer hike in VT....glad I tested this particular hammock!
    Start out slow, then slow down.

Images

Carvers to 19E is just 5 miles?

well....i think there are quite a few rocks for a one or 2 miles on the way down the backside of hump. I can remember a few places with a step down of over 18 inches, and thinking last time that if it were raining here it could be very slippery. I needed my poles for comfort for sure. If I had an injury, this part may be hard or very slow at least. A few places where the rocks are unstable too. Lots more areas of walking on long flat slightlty tilted rocks. Maybe a spot whre you had to hold onto a tree near a rock to get down and be sure of your foot placement.

JUst what i remember....

cooldays

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cooldays View Post
    well....i think there are quite a few rocks for a one or 2 miles on the way down the backside of hump. I can remember a few places with a step down of over 18 inches, and thinking last time that if it were raining here it could be very slippery. I needed my poles for comfort for sure. If I had an injury, this part may be hard or very slow at least. A few places where the rocks are unstable too. Lots more areas of walking on long flat slightlty tilted rocks. Maybe a spot whre you had to hold onto a tree near a rock to get down and be sure of your foot placement.

JUst what i remember....

cooldays
    That's more like what I remember too. A LOT more than just 100 yards. I remember it being long, steep, and very tricky in a couple of spots. I had the same thoughts about rain too, and was glad it was dry. My legs are short though, and makes it a little harder on the steep climbs and descents
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++