WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Granite Gear Escape A.C. 60?

Has anyone tried the Granite Gear Escape A.C. 60 or the Escape A.C. 60 Ki (women's version)?

I've really liked my Vapor Trail, but it's somewhat busted now. I had been considering the Meridian Vapor Ki for its top lid, but now I see they've come out with this new model with a brand new suspension.

As pluses, it looks like the Escape A.C. does not have compression straps over the water bottle pocket, its frame curves away from your back, and it will carry up to 35 pounds (while I almost never do that, it could come in handy from time to time...). As negatives, it's a bit heavier, and I have no idea how the suspension compares comfort-wise to the Vapor Trail suspension.

Anyone have any experience with this pack?

Sorry I don't, but this is the pack I am intending to buy. It's only a top loader, but other than that it looks perfect!

I haven't tried those packs but I did just finish my thru hike using a GG Nimbus Ozone. It was just the right size, lightweight and really durable.

Default Granite Gear Escape Packs vs Vapor Packs

The Granite Gear Escape 60 packs feature a three dimensionally molded frame sheet. The Vapor series packs have a flat framesheet. Since the framesheet on the Escape packs is curved to follow the contours of your back, it offers a more uniform area of contact with the user. This means no pressure points like packs with aluminum stays can create, which can cause muscle fatigue.

The foam on the back panel has "dimples" on it, so air can circulate between the pack and wearer. And there are channels in the frame sheet that allow warm air to move up and out of the back panel. Finally, there are 5 different attachment points for the shoulder straps so you set the pack up with an exact match to your torso length. On the Vapor packs, the shoulder straps are sewn in.

Dave
    Granite Gear

++ New Posts ++