WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Franconia Notch

Images

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    Jersey Joe, my comments werent directed at you as muhc as someone that is planning to do it based on your post. I have done it both ways this year.
    Yes, I know they weren't directed at me...i just thought it was interesting that the ranger advised counter clockwise when you advised clockwise...there is valid reasoning for either direction.

Quote Originally Posted by jersey joe View Post
    Not sure what you mean by left Dogwood but Mt. Lafayette is north of Mt. Lincoln and Mt. Liberty is South of Mt. Lincoln and Little Haystack.

We didn't go to the top of Mt. Liberty because we didn't take the AT to the top, we did a loop that didn't include Liberty.
    Sorry Jersey Joe. I was confused with my directions. Didn't mean to add you to the list.

As you reach the Franconia Notch Ridge(AT) via the Liberty Springs Trail(AT) instead of continuing on the AT north(left) at the ridge junction you could go right toward the summit of Mt Liberty where there are usually fewer people and also GREAT views. It's a short side trip.

I just did the loop this weekend with a stay at the Green Leaf hut. The kids had a great time. The winds got up to 60mph at the top, and Lafayette was in the clouds, so the kids got to stand inside a cloud. It was a big thrill for them. We soaked out feet in the river and the water was really cold. We did meet a couple of people that had swimming suits on, and had stood in some of the falls.

If you go the loop, get there EARLY! The lot get full of day hikers. I had to park on the highway and do my overnight. I didn't get a ticket or anything, but I don't know if you can really park on the highway like that or not. I did get my parking sticker for the White Mountains though. $20 for one car for a year, or $25 for two stickers so you can leave one car at the end of the trail.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cornfed View Post
    I just did the loop this weekend with a stay at the Green Leaf hut. The kids had a great time. The winds got up to 60mph at the top, and Lafayette was in the clouds, so the kids got to stand inside a cloud. It was a big thrill for them. We soaked out feet in the river and the water was really cold. We did meet a couple of people that had swimming suits on, and had stood in some of the falls.

If you go the loop, get there EARLY! The lot get full of day hikers. I had to park on the highway and do my overnight. I didn't get a ticket or anything, but I don't know if you can really park on the highway like that or not. I did get my parking sticker for the White Mountains though. $20 for one car for a year, or $25 for two stickers so you can leave one car at the end of the trail.
    The ranger warned us that the lots fill up fast on weekends. Luckily we were there during the week, but I was still surprised at how many people were out on a Tuesday.

Fantastic that you brought your kids up to Greenleaf Hut. I'm looking forward to going back up to the Whites and staying in Huts once my kid is a little older.

Default Saw you?

My son and I hiked the Kinsman's on Saturday. We met a man and woman near Lonesome Lake. They had a little boy of 4 with them and he hiked the whole way up. Was thay you?

Images

If you mean me wolfclan, then no, my son is 11 months old and doesn't even walk yet. I'm hopeful that by the time he is four he will be making it all the way up there too! I was actually surprised when hiking around franconia notch how many young kids(4-10) were out hiking. It was encouraging!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++