WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default SNP at the end of October

Hi,
    Am planning a hike through SNP for the last week of October. I will be carrying a day pack only, and my intent is to get off the trail at the end of each day. I would like to start from Rockfish Gap and head toward Front Royal - depnding on my days out and how far I hike each day, will go as far North as I can get in the time I have. I hope to do 15 or so miles per day.
    I would greatly appreciate any advice on an itinerary - ie. places to get off the trail to get food, sleep (don't care if I sleep in my car). I contacted MV shuttle and got info from them on costs, but would also appreciate any other suggestions on shuttles - if anyone has had good experience with one or another, etc. Will also check on ATC website for shuttle info.
    Thanks for any advice anyone can give - if anyone wants to join me during that time, let me know!
    Karen

Baron
    Images

That doesn't sound very fun.
    ‎"You know your camping trip really isn't going well when you find yourself hoping to stave off sepsis with a six-pack of Icehouse. "

"Age is not an accomplishment, and youth is not a sin."

Baron
    Images

I suppose I should give a response with more substance.

Why are you, essentially, just doing a long string of Day hikes? Day Hikes are fine, and I've day-hiked all over the Northern and Central sections of SNP(mostly blue trails), but if you're planning on hiking the length, why not spend the nights in the woods? It's a damn odd thing, in my mind.

I mean, Hiking 8 hours and then farting around waiting for a shuttle? Then trying to shuttle in the next morning? You're now taking your schedule out of your hands and placing them in someone else's.
    ‎"You know your camping trip really isn't going well when you find yourself hoping to stave off sepsis with a six-pack of Icehouse. "

Unable to backpack due to back issues - can walk as far as I want to, though. Have section-hiked four states so far on day hikes, and have had a great time. This is the way I will get it done.

Baron
    Images

Roger, I'm tracking. Seems that relying on shuttling services every day would be expensive though...

yep, it will be - that is why I want to see what options are out there for shuttles

Images

IMO this is going to be extremely expensive and I'm not even sure how it would be done in that I dont know where you would be staying every day.

For comparisons sake I did an overnight from Thornton Gap to Front Royal and had MV drive me from FR->TG. It was $65 and that was a one way, relatively short drive since they charge per mile driven not just per mile driven when you are in the car. So for going all over SNP 7 days in a row?

Also at the end of October most waysides will be closed so you will not have resupply options on the trail.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Missadventure View Post
    Unable to backpack due to back issues - can walk as far as I want to, though. Have section-hiked four states so far on day hikes, and have had a great time. This is the way I will get it done.
    Not knowing what your back problems or limitations are, but for the future if you rehabilitate to the point where medically you're capable of backpacking, I have found my Aarn pack to really help. They combine a backpack and front pack to balance the load so you walk more upright instead of the slight lean required to balance a normal pack. The suspension system transfers virtually all the weight including the front packs to the hipbelt below the spinal lumbar joints. For reference, I've had 3 blown disks (HNP's) at different levels (all lumbar) and this pack technology really helped me.

http://www.aarnusa.com/

http://aarnpacks.com/
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

thanks for all the feedback

++ New Posts ++