WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Packs

Default Packs

Hopefully someone can direct me with a link to a thread that already has a lot of this information. But every pack that I research seems to have something rather prominent that people dislike about it. And each thing seems to be a very credible concern. What are the most used Packs on the AT? not lightweight mind you, I'm starting my walk with my girlfriend and our dog next march, so we'll need space for a decent amount of things, not too heavy of course, but not constricting. Any help is appreciated.

Images

Very popular packs are Granite Gear, Osprey, ULA and Golite, Kelty is a popular external frame and then their are the Ultra lights like Six Moon Designs, Mountain Laurel Designs, Gossamer Gear and Zpacks. I use a Mystery Ranch Trance XXX, Mystery Ranch is a "Bulletproof" backpack that I've never heard anything bad about except that they are not cheap. You can't buy them at an outfitter, direct only but they are very adjustable.

Images

Don't forget Gregory, heavy duty not ultralight but definitely well constructed and solid.

Deuter very good light pack with good roomy models like the act lite 65 + 10

Doc Mike

Images

Default I forgot

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Mike View Post
    Don't forget Gregory, heavy duty not ultralight but definitely well constructed and solid.

Doc Mike
    I Knew I would forget a few, Thanks, I've heard a lot of good about Deuter and Gregory as well.
    Last edited by Mountain Wildman; 08-31-2010 at 13:39. Reason: spelling

Images

You should check out ULA packs (ula-equipment.com). Made in Utah, not in SE Asia.

I used a Gregory Baltoro everyday for two years. It was a heavy pack, but it was the most comfortable I ever wore. Definitely great packs if you plan on carrying a heavy load.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.
    -Edward Abbey

Default Ditto on Deuter

Doc Mike

Love my Deuter 65+10. I was skeptical on this pack at first, but it has been strong and I have already used it around here in Texas. The air flow really works to keep it cool. I know. I live in Texas.. plus, even though the buckles are small, they are very strong. I was surpised..Love this pack..

Graywolf
    "So what if theres a mountain, get over it!!!" - Graywolf, 2010

I have an Osprey that I like quite a bit; my second choice would have been Gregory. I liked the way the Osprey felt, a little better. That's going to be different for everyone though.

Among the thruhikers i saw in June most had Gregory's or Osprey's, with a handful of Granite Gears and Golites.

REI has a house-brand backpack or two that are very well liked, fairly lightweight, and present a good value. I haven't used them myself. I have a Granite Gear that's an excellent load-hauler but I've also done quite well with $30 Outdoor Products packs that you can buy at wal-mart. There really aren't many (if any) truly bad packs on the market, just packs and people that don't go together properly, causing the user to sometimes declare a pack "bad" despite the same pack being perfect for someone else's body. Best bet is to try some on at the nearest outfitter you can find (even Dick's Sporting Goods carries a decent selection).

Images

Take a look at the ULA circuit and catalyst as well as REI flash 65

I saw quite a variety of packs on the AT this year, no real "consensus". But recognize that a lot more thru-hikers on the AT are doing their first long trail.

On the PCT in 2008 there was more of a trend of quite a number of thru's I saw, ULA was the most common, and I didn't run into anyone that had one and didn't like it.

ULA isn't the lightest choice, my sense about ULA is that they've tried to stake out a sweet spot between "lightest" and various heavier packs on the other end of the spectrum that offer some combination of more "fully featured", durable, higher load bearing, and comfortable. ULA packs are enough of those latter things, yet not too-o-o heavy, so I think they are a good place to have a look.
    Gadget
    PCT: 2008 NOBO, AT: 2010 NOBO, CDT: 2011 SOBO, PNT: 2014+2016

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

IMO, most reviews are useless. They'll have comments such as "hugs your back, carries huge loads, but doesn't have a hydration pocket." I suppose that would be meaningful to someone who carries huge loads, wants a pack to hug their back, and is real concerned with hydration pockets, but that's not me.

Maybe if you read the reviews with a critical eye toward what matters to you, you can narrow down the packs you want to try on or try out. Otherwise, just try them all and see what fits your body well and carries your load well, and ignore everyone's opinion. Start by ignoring mine, most do.

Every pack is going to have something about it that somebody doesn't like. That doesn't mean it won't get you to the end of the trail. Just look for a tool that will do the job for you with negatives you can live with.

I used a Gossamer Gear G4 for over half of my hike. I could list out a whole bunch of negatives, probably more negatives than positives. But it got me to Canada and most of the time I didn't even think about my pack.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Let me ask another related question. I know some long distance hikers (one week continuous) who carry heavy packweights (40-50lb) and others who manage to carry under 30lb. What loaded weight do you guys normally carry on the AT? I just read Ray Jardine's book on the PCT trail where he carries <20lbs. Does anyone use a tarp instead of a tent? Colin Fletcher used to do this, but I never tried it. Of course he mostly hiked in the Western states. Just curious...

Arc'teryx Bora 80

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Macritchie View Post
    Let me ask another related question. I know some long distance hikers (one week continuous) who carry heavy packweights (40-50lb) and others who manage to carry under 30lb. What loaded weight do you guys normally carry on the AT? I just read Ray Jardine's book on the PCT trail where he carries <20lbs. Does anyone use a tarp instead of a tent? Colin Fletcher used to do this, but I never tried it. Of course he mostly hiked in the Western states. Just curious...
    I plan on using a tarp on my Thru next year and my summer base weight will be around 9 or 10 pounds. I think a tent would be over kill on the AT since theres over 200 shelters. 40 to 50 pound is way too much to be carrying for 2000 plus miles.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.
    -Edward Abbey

Images

A tarp is fine on the AT. As anywhere, site selection and proper pitch are crucial. A simple 8x10 foot silnylon tarp is a good place to start -- inexpensive, well made, and provides plenty of coverage. Once you get used to using a tarp, you can move up to a sub-4-ounce Cuben fiber shaped tarp like this one.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

I mostly did not use a tarp. I used a Gossamer Gear One tent. I did all the math between using a rain poncho as a shelter, using an 8x10 tarp, and the One and because of having to carry a bivy or not, or having to carry additional rain gear or not, or having to carry additional bug netting or not, the difference was so minimal that even though the tent was a few ounces more, the ease of use made it the better option for me.

My gear was 12 ounces before food and water was added. A large amount of weight is saved by using an ultralight shelter/pack/sleeping bag. But I think I saved the most weight by eliminating useless items, not carrying spare clothing and shaving every possible amount of weight from whatever was left.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    . . . My gear was 12 ounces before food and water was added. A large amount of weight is saved by using an ultralight shelter/pack/sleeping bag. But I think I saved the most weight by eliminating useless items, not carrying spare clothing and shaving every possible amount of weight from whatever was left.
    Now THAT'S light. My skivvies alone prolly weigh 12 oz
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Images

i plan to do nearly all my outfitting at REI, so thanks for the REI flash 65 mention. anyone else have or know about any rei packs that are decent? wont limit myself to just those, but i am outfitting entirely from a brick and mortar, no online shopping
    I broke a mirror in my house. I'm supposed to get seven years bad luck but my lawyer thinks he can get me five.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++