WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Prefiltering for Aquamira

I did some searching and couldnt find a specific answer so hopefully this isnt a redundant post. Does anyone have any suggestions for prefiltering water for use with aquqmira? Mostly just wanting to get any large floaties that might be hanging around out of the water.

I use a small square of no-see-um mesh stretched over the mouth of my Gatoraide bottle. I use my cook pot to dip water and pour into the Gatoraide bottle, then I treat.

Images

I use a bandana over the mouth of my water bottle.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Cool, thanks for the replies

JERMM's sock idea works very well - cheap white stretch nylon sock stuck in the bottle and stretched over the mouth of the bottle

Images

To pre-filter my water I use a fuel filter such as Coghlan's Filter Funnel . For dipping out the water I use the bottom 3" of a used plastic beverage bottle.

Serial Hiker
    Images

Coffee filter? Weighs nothing.
    perrito

684.4 down, 1507.6 to go.

"If a man speaks in the woods, and there is no woman there to hear, is he still wrong?"

Garlic
    Images

Bandanna. I've only had to do that a few times. Floaties don't bother me much, I guess.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

i use a pair of nylon panty hos.

sounds dumb, but i use one chunk for a coffee filter, one chunk for a water prefilter, and another piece to get suds started for washing. works well, weighs next to nothing
    JRiker
    Patience and Positivity will keep you alive!
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/bighatcreations

Ran into a couple of thruhikers last week who were using a biodiesel filter (veggie oil filter) to prefilter their water. She got it off of ebay in a sheet, and folded it into a cone for use. Pouring the water into it showed it had a near instantaneous flowrate, but filtered down to a micron or two.

It was white, and about the consistency of hatter's felt (maybe 1/16" - 1/8" thick).

Images

I like to chew on the extras that get into my water.

Mmmm, delicious.

I use a filter sock. They come in various micron sizes ranging from 1 micron (and maybe smaller) on up. They are available at water engineering firms and cost maybe $2.50 ea. Some types are washable. If you get the smallest sizes you probably won't need anything else.

Due to the low water situation so far and murky pools. I ordered one of these. Figured for $25.00 its worth a try.
    http://www.campsaver.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=mbw

Quote Originally Posted by Bags4266 View Post
    Due to the low water situation so far and murky pools. I ordered one of these. Figured for $25.00 its worth a try.
    http://www.campsaver.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=mbw
    Interesting find. Looks to be of the same design as the "Hiker" filter, but with a ceramic filter. Also smaller, and only weighing three ounces.

I'd be interested in hearing your experience with it, especially with flow rate (the review stating "three minutes per liter" gave me pause).

@jtbradyl do you use something like this?
    http://www.marinedepot.com/filter+socks-si.html

Although from what I read aquamira is supposed to be effective against bacteria. viruses and protozoa...am I just being paranoid? After thinking about this it seems like the bandanna/coffee filter/something similar idea is the most practical. Thoughts?

I use a paint strainer. Basically similar to using noseeum mesh. I wash my feet with my bandana so I don't want to filter my water with it.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Yea I know due to its size it will be a slow go, probally fragile too. But I'm sure I could give up 6 min of my day on a water break. I use the Aqua Mira drops, but if the water site is questionable I'm going to use both. I will report back on how this filter functions, I am leaving on a 17day section at the end of the month.
    Its like chicken soup. Can't hurt!

sbhikes brings up a good point. All you folks using bandanas and socks, are they clean DEDICATED items? I hope so...

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    sbhikes brings up a good point. All you folks using bandanas and socks, are they clean DEDICATED items? I hope so...
    IMO even if you clean your feet with the bandanna (I don't with my Buff) it wouldn't matter. The water hasn't been treated yet. Any contamination would be purely psychological.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Mmmmm, cheese water!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++