WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Registered User Prettywoman0172's Avatar
    Images

Default Scared of eating on trail

I am a former fat chick. And I am scared of eating on the trail. Normal trail foods, staples, are things that I consider off-limits. Like Snickers bars, M&Ms and cheap noodles. Or things that are very high in calories – nuts, granola, dried fruit.

While I understand that I will be burning a lot of calories while hiking, there is still the mental aspect. I have tried to alleviate this somewhat by buying alternatives to the mainstream – Annie’s Mac & Cheese rather than Kraft; Newmans Fig bars rather than fig newtons; Organic powdered milk, rather than the stuff from Walmart. But I am still afraid.

Suggestions for good, wholesome, food that will not cost a million dollars for a possible thru-hike? I am aware of MaryJanes but each meal is close to $10. Ouch.

Ann

Images

Buy a dehydrator and make all your own meals. It's what I do for my hikes.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Eat whatever you like to eat now, you just may need to eat more of it. No need to resort to eating junk like Pop-tarts to get calories. If you like veggies and egg whites, you can still eat well on the trail. Might take a bit more effort, and you might need to carry a little more weight, but it's worth it.

You will need the calories, though, or you'll bonk halfway through the day.

Images

I am experienced with bonking Its not a nice feeling. I have done it twice on distance bike rides. Horrible!!!

How would I carry veggies and eggwhites? (Please dont laugh

And as far as the dehydrator ... is this hard to do? Storage after dehydration - does it need special packaging or refrigeration or anything?

Thanks!!

Images

I LOVE oatmeal and nut butters, meuseli, granola, cereal, trail mix and dried fruit

Images

You're over analyzing it. Eat what you regularly eat and can buy at the grocery store that will keep for three or four days. Egg whites are not any better for you than whole eggs or very high in calories compared to cereal or granola and whole eggs come in a convenient package.

Images

How do you carry whole eggs without breaking them all over your pack and how do you keep them cold? Do they need to be cold? I read that boiled eggs can be kept for a couple of days without refrigeration.

check out trailcooking.com and you will have all your answers!

Images

Eggs don't really need to be kept cold. The US is one of the only countries in the world that refrigerates eggs. They'll keep fine for a week at room/outside temps. Just take them in the carton you buy them in (or half) and don't smush them or sit on them. The new plastic cartons for the free-range and organic eggs are really study.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Images

Satatistics I've heard indicate that a Thru-Hiker will burn 4000 to 6000 calories per day, There are still things you can get at the average convenience store that are fairly healthy, The Cumberland Farms here in Gorham typically has salads, Apples, Oranges, Canned vegetable etc... While the salads would not carry well, Apples certainly will and oranges should last a few days, You may have to eat the off limits food from time to time but you should be able to eat more to your liking at least part of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by thomas533 View Post
    check out trailcooking.com and you will have all your answers!
    The home page is corrupted .. start at the Dehydrating 101 page.

Quote Originally Posted by Prettywoman0172 View Post
    I LOVE oatmeal and nut butters, meuseli, granola, cereal, trail mix and dried fruit

Nothing wrong with these, now throw in some vegies, tuna, salmon, chicken. Also lots of SB along the way.

Welcome to WB.

Images

got another one for ya...how do you cook eggs if all you have is the pot from your Soloist set?

Images

How long would you be able to keep Laughing Cow soft cheeses or Baby Bell mini cheeses? Or any cheeses in general.

Thanks again, all of your input is much appreciated.

A

got another one for ya...how do you cook eggs if all you have is the pot from your Soloist set?
    Freezer Bag Cooking, Quick simple no mess

How long would you be able to keep Laughing Cow soft cheeses or Baby Bell mini cheeses? Or any cheeses in general.

Thanks again, all of your input is much appreciated.

A
    Hard cheeese will last longer.

Images

I just looked up freezer bag cooking! AWESOME! THank you!!!!

Images

While I understand that I will be burning a lot of calories while hiking
    A LOT of calories. You will lose weight.

Organic powdered milk
    Organic milk is still milk.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.
    -Edward Abbey

Images

I just looked up freezer bag cooking! AWESOME! THank you!!!!
    Do an "advanced search" on threads written by "Sarbar". She wrote the book (literally) on FB cooking.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

How do you carry whole eggs without breaking them all over your pack and how do you keep them cold? Do they need to be cold? I read that boiled eggs can be kept for a couple of days without refrigeration.
    Actually, raw eggs in the shell will keep for many days without refrigeration, particularly if they haven't been washed. (A newly laid egg has a coating called a "bloom" which washing removes.) Once you boil or otherwise cook them, they will deteriorate after only a day or two. This is because the raw egg white has several ways of killing off any germs which manage to get through the shell and outer membrane. That's a major part of the white's job. But those abilities are eliminated by the act of cooking.
    "It goes to show you never can tell." - Charles Edward Anderson Berry

I had the same question so I tried it at home. Boiling is easy - just put 1 or 2 eggs in the pot of water and boil.

I tried a different way. I filled my .75 L pot nearly full of water and set it on my alcohol stove. Then I broke 2 eggs in a Ziploc freezer bag, added some seasoning and olive oil, squished the eggs until they were scrambled. I put the Ziploc in the pot of water and lit the stove with 1.5 oz alcohol. When the fire went out the eggs were well cooked in one lump. I could have eaten out of the Ziploc. Instead I dumped them on a plate and chopped so it looked like scrambled eggs. Easier than a fry pan on the kitchen stove and no pan to wash.

Slosteppin

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++