WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Shake Down Hikes

i don't hear too much talk about this to the new hikers anymore. i learned about them on Rock's site 3 years ago. making a gear list. hiking and them checking off stuff you didn't use.
    going 2 nights so you know you can repack correctly (easy to stuff pack and go to car)
    even did some 4 days with resupply.
    i did it all in South Jersey LOL

How do you do your shake down hikes?? and Why??
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Images

I've done two shake down hikes on the LHHT. One over nighter and one for three days. Going to do another three days this weekend.

I'm doing them to check on my conditioning because I have no hills near home to train on. Also getting use to using my tent, water purification and other gear. Also to get an idea of what food to take and how much.

These short hikes give me some experience and also there are plenty of opputunities to bail if an emergency should arise. I plan on extending the duration of the hikes until I feel comfortable with a couple of weeks. If I'm still having fun then I'm going ahead with planning for a thru hike.
    "The difficult can be done immediately, the impossible takes a little longer"

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    i don't hear too much talk about this to the new hikers anymore. i learned about them on Rock's site 3 years ago. making a gear list. hiking and them checking off stuff you didn't use.
    going 2 nights so you know you can repack correctly (easy to stuff pack and go to car)
    even did some 4 days with resupply.
    i did it all in South Jersey LOL

How do you do your shake down hikes?? and Why??
    have no idea what a "shakedown" hike is. just load up a pack and go walkin' and add or subtract as you go. doin' a "shakedown" does not give one a better chance at long distance walkin'

Images

I use shake down hikes to gauge the effectiveness of my equipment on an overnighter or 3 day hike. Allows the user to become familiar with new equipment and gets the learning curve out of the way for when you decide to go on longer treks. It also allows you to determine any shortcommings of your equipment as well.

If I ever did decide to do a thru hike (section hiker for now) I'd rather be familiar with my equipment and know the limitations now than find out for the first time on a thru hike.

Quote Originally Posted by Raul Perez View Post

If I ever did decide to do a thru hike (section hiker for now) I'd rather be familiar with my equipment and know the limitations now than find out for the first time on a thru hike.
    doesn't mean you'll make more than a week on the walk

i love to golf but i know i can't buy a par round. all this shakedown stuff leads to failure

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    i love to golf but i know i can't buy a par round. all this shakedown stuff leads to failure
    i know you can't buy a thru, but you never drive balls on the weekend?
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Images

i thought a shake down hike is when youre inadvertantly joined by some yogis shaking you down for extra food and spare change! Get away from me kid, youre bothering me!
    I broke a mirror in my house. I'm supposed to get seven years bad luck but my lawyer thinks he can get me five.

Images

doesn't mean you'll make more than a week on the walk
    True. But you also know nothing about me or my resolve to stay on the trail. All you see is whats on your screen and a quick judgement made.

HYOH

Quote Originally Posted by Raul Perez View Post
    True. But you also know nothing about me or my resolve to stay on the trail. All you see is whats on your screen and a quick judgement made.

HYOH
    just go hikin'. no practice needed

Images

I guess I call it a shakedown hike when I'm mostly out there to try new gear or to eliminate gear. Any other hike is for physical training and/or recreation.

just go hikin'. no practice needed
    You must not really put too much thought into what you post on here. Practice for a new hiker would provide an enormous amount of benefits. If given the option, a practice hike before a 6 month thru-hike is a completely logical course of action.

I do shake down hikes when trying out new gear to insure I know how to use it in safe conditions (rather then finding out when I really need it) and whether or no it will work for me. A few months before I thru-hiked the PCT, I took all my gear out on a final trip in cold snowy weather to test if he could handle what I thought was the worse weather I'd likely see. I was happy with the results with one small exception that I corrected before I left on my hike. When I hike the AT, I'll likely go out for several days for the same reason since I'll likely be making some gear changes.

Images

raul.. great videos on youtube man. thought youd look more spanish tho idk y. come to think of it ive only seen white folks on my hikes and on the galleries here. Im sure the minorites are out there, look forward to meeting some
    I broke a mirror in my house. I'm supposed to get seven years bad luck but my lawyer thinks he can get me five.

Images

Maybe if Lone Wolf would practice golf a little more often he would get closer to a par round.
    "The difficult can be done immediately, the impossible takes a little longer"

Images

allen iverson didnt like to practice either, and look how far it got him... oh yeah, no rings, no team

Images

Quote Originally Posted by IronGutsTommy View Post
    raul.. great videos on youtube man. thought youd look more spanish tho idk y. come to think of it ive only seen white folks on my hikes and on the galleries here. Im sure the minorites are out there, look forward to meeting some
    I'm from Spanish and Dutch decent. Guess which genes kicked butt during my creation

Seriously, I have been working eith a friend of mine here and we have found some great places to do shakedowns. I think it is a good chance to get to know your gear before you head out on the trail. We have a 14 mile trail not far from us, with ample room to practice what we will do on the trail. I think tis would be great
    "So what if theres a mountain, get over it!!!" - Graywolf, 2010

Every hike I take is a "shakedown" hike because I learn something new every time I walk the trail.

Images

So far, my shakedown hikes have taken me from Springer to I-40.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++