WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Olive Oil

Registered User Prettywoman0172's Avatar
    Images

Default Olive Oil

How do you carry this? What do you put it in?

Thanks

Ann

Images

Something like this... http://www.rei.com/product/402024
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.
    -Edward Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
    Something like this... http://www.rei.com/product/402024
    ....and then inside a ziplock bag to protect everything else you're carrying

TF
    www.postholer.com/Turtle Feet
    Follow me as I crawl the A.T.
    Life is an adventure or nothing at all ~ Hellen Keller

Images

A small 2 oz bottle is okay for a day or two, but if you're thru-hiking and buying food without doing drops, then you'll be buying small bottles of oil, and likely they'll be glass. Most small olive oil bottles found in stores are 500 ml (17 oz). If you aren't going to use this much (roughly a pint) you can split it with another hiker if you can find one, or keep a 500 ml coke / pepsi bottle to transfer it into for carrying. A pint sounds like a huge amount of oil, but you can add it to most of the noodle and potato and other dishes you'll eat, spead it on bread, etc, and for its weight its one of the best sources of calories per amount of weight carried.

And even though you once had a weight problem, gaining weight will not be a problem on a thru-hike - getting enough calories will.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Images

For section or weekend hikes, a small Nalgene bottle, maybe 200ml or so. The white plastic kind.

For a thru-hike, just buy the smallest bottle of olive oil in the grocery store and carry that. You'll use it up pretty quickly -- I would, anyway, given that I like a big squirt in my dinner. Oh, and and I'd not get the "extra virgin", it has too much flavor, I'd get the much more refined stuff.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

To follow up on 4-e-b, we've been seeing a lot of plastic bottles of oil in the store lately.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

if in the winter a large mouth container. i becomes a solid quick at 32 degrees. i carry my olive oil and fuel on outside of pack.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    To follow up on 4-e-b, we've been seeing a lot of plastic bottles of oil in the store lately.
    Didn't know that - I'll keep an eye out. Most of the olive oil I see is usually still packaged in glass, but up here in northern NH we tend to be a few years behind civilized standards. Darn olive oil is so expensive I usually look for what size / brand is on sale for home use.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by Turtle Feet View Post
    ....and then inside a ziplock bag to protect everything else you're carrying

TF
    I had that same thought; carry mine in same bag with the bottle of honey.

I bought a package of Colghan's plastic bottles and put it in one of them. I did not use much olive oil.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

I hate mess. I carry mine in packets - from www.Minimus.biz or www.packitgourmet.com - a packet is the perfect size for a meal. And while they look fragile they take a beating in a pack.
    Trail Cooking/FBC, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
    Trail Cooking

Quote Originally Posted by sarbar View Post
    I hate mess. I carry mine in packets - from www.Minimus.biz or www.packitgourmet.com - a packet is the perfect size for a meal. And while they look fragile they take a beating in a pack.

Ditto here too.
    "So what if theres a mountain, get over it!!!" - Graywolf, 2010

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by sarbar View Post
    Ditto dat ditto

I use a flip top like the one in the picture, and put it on one of the 4oz oval bottles from REI. Then it gets triple bagged (sandwich bag, little ziplock, freezer ziplock) and dropped into my food bag/resupply box.

Works splendidly, and doesn't make any mess at all.

But your hands turned BLUE!!!!!!

I just use a 8 to 16oz plastic water bottle (soda bottle also works). I never had one leak. I did have to resort to sqeezing the sides of the bottle to get some out when it solidified in cold weather so using a soft plastic bottle is an advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by karo View Post
    But your hands turned BLUE!!!!!!
    lol, I think it was the olive oil I stole from the Smurfs!

(in practice, though, I use my teeth to open and close the flip-top)

Double check the seal on those cheap small plastic bottle you get from the outfitter by squeezing and listening for air escaping. You'll be amazed at how many of the caps leak.

I prefer the more sturdy

Nalgene polyethylene 4 oz. bottle for olive oil (of course stored inside a ziplock!).

I once left on a trip and forgot my oil. I bought some at a dollar store, it was in a plastic bottle, but I didn't feel comfortable witht he flimsy top so I bought a thing of chocolate milk -- the one with the rabbit on it. It worked perfectly and I still have it in my pack.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    Double check the seal on those cheap small plastic bottle you get from the outfitter by squeezing and listening for air escaping. You'll be amazed at how many of the caps leak.

I prefer the more sturdy

Nalgene polyethylene 4 oz. bottle for olive oil (of course stored inside a ziplock!).
    2nd on those screw top mini-nalgenes. They come in many sizes and they're much better than anything else I've tried for small quantities. Use them for camp suds, oil, anything else liquid.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++