WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

For cold weather camping you don't need a bug net, so you don't need a Hennessy. Invest $20.00 in a cheap hammock and wrap a sleeping bag around it. You won't need a pad, and you'll save weight as well.
    I sold my HH and bought an ENO bug net to wrap around my hammock and bag. It's a little heavier in the summer, but allows you to sit on the edge of the hammock without the bugs eating you alive
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/...imageuser=2502
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

bug netting does a nice job of keeping condensation off your sleeping bag though. at least in my experience
    " It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid." ~Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Bugnet also traps a little heat. Not much but at some extreme temps every few degrees helps.

So basically....the community's choices are:

1. Cheapo blue foam pad cut into appropriate sections
    2. Underquilt
    3. Tinker's very interesting method of wrapping a bag around the hammock.

While #3 is intriuging, I am determined to "make the hennesy work for me"...so it will probably be an under quilt system.

How does the supershelter compare to the warbonnet or JRB in terms of warmth?

See you at Springer, Winter 09' Chance09's Avatar

i use a Zlite 3/4 length and then when it's cold i use a emergency blanket underneat it. Works great for me if you don't mind the noise.
    AT - Georgia to Maine '09
    PCT - Mexico to Canada '10
    CDT - Canada to Mexico '11

Zlite 3/4 length with space blanket, huh?

How low in temp can you get that setup?

Section Hiker, 1,040 + miles, donating member peter_pan's Avatar
    Images

JRB has been offering a wide and short EVA pad for a year or so now for under $10... http://www.jacksrbetter.com/TorsoPad.htm... 6 oz or so.

Pan
    ounces to grams
    WWW.JACKSRBETTER.COM home of the Nest and No Sniveler underquilts and Bear Mtn Bridge Hammock

Images

Quote Originally Posted by peter_pan View Post
    JRB has been offering a wide and short EVA pad for a year or so now for under $10... http://www.jacksrbetter.com/TorsoPad.htm... 6 oz or so.

Pan
    jack i've used those pads and they are great. got down to 40 with one, but i don't know if i would trust 2 of them for like 10 degrees. (i don't know if i would trust any pad for 0-10)
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

How bulky are they? I have the 1/4 inch thick pad from Gossamer gear and I cannot image where I would put that ernourmous cylinder of foam. Even lashed to the outside of the pack, it is huge!

IMO, bulk is one of the few (only?) downsides of a wide and long foam pad but once I started using a LuxuryLite pack that problem was solved. My Oware 40 X 60 X 3/8 will fold and fit into a LuxuryLite extra large cylinder. Once inside, the pad expands to fit that space and there's plenty of space in the opened up crease for the hammock and the sleep system. In my experience, it's a great combination of gear coming together to work exceptionally well. The 3/8" thick pad itself is the limiting factor of the sleep system...it takes me down to the mid-, low-20's. Beyond that, the under insulation needs a boost, e.g., by incorporating my sit pad.

Previously, I've rolled up the Oware pad and carried it on the outside...not a good look!

FB
    "All persons are born free and have certain inalienable rights. They include the right to a clean and healthful environment..."

Article II, Section 3
    The Constitution of the State of Montana

Ok....so here is what I am going to try:

I have the hammock, the 1/4 inch wide pad, a zlite, zlite 3/4, supershelter and cheapo blue foam.

I am going to sleep outside in the backyard in this thing and see what kind of temp differences I can get. If I can make the 3/4 pad work without supershelter then I am in business. If it turns out I need a supershelter and a pad then this hammock is not too competitive at the moment wieghtwise..not at all.

Time for some trial and error. I'll keep you guys and gals posted!

Images

I use a WBB double bottom and a wally mart pad-use a JRB UQ when temps get down to freezing

Images

Give you an idea of my set up:

Blackbird hammock, dynaglide whoopie slings, tree straps, zingit ridgeline - 18.44oz

cuben fiber tarp (11' x 8.5'), continuous ridgeline - 6.6oz

Yeti underquilt - 11oz

black mamba top quilt - 19oz

GG thinlight pad 1/8" cut for legs -1.8oz

Titanium shepperd stakes & bag - 3oz

Total set up = 59.14oz or 3.7 lbs

that beats out most tents, sleeping bags, and sleeping pad combos in my opinion in both weight and comfort.

Talking

Go heavy or go home
    "Take another road to another place,disappear without a trace..." --Jimmy Buffet

Images

that's $1000+ worth of gear raul. it better be light....

OP, a regular foam pad is definitely your cheapest and lightest insulation option. comfort and bulk go to the UQ...
    " It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid." ~Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Quote Originally Posted by Raul Perez View Post
    Give you an idea of my set up:

Blackbird hammock, dynaglide whoopie slings, tree straps, zingit ridgeline - 18.44oz

cuben fiber tarp (11' x 8.5'), continuous ridgeline - 6.6oz

Yeti underquilt - 11oz

black mamba top quilt - 19oz

GG thinlight pad 1/8" cut for legs -1.8oz

Titanium shepperd stakes & bag - 3oz

Total set up = 59.14oz or 3.7 lbs

that beats out most tents, sleeping bags, and sleeping pad combos in my opinion in both weight and comfort.
    Raul, I have a WBB with the standard webbing suspension (with dutch clips). I could be confusing the conversation, but I thought at one point there was a thread on hammockforums about switching out suspensions on the WBB and your opinion was that it didn't offer much weight savings. My WBB set-up currently weighs 40oz. I'd love to shave another 22oz off of that!

Do you know your lengths on the tree straps & whoopies?

TF
    www.postholer.com/Turtle Feet
    Follow me as I crawl the A.T.
    Life is an adventure or nothing at all ~ Hellen Keller

Images

which blackbird you have likely makes the differnece raul. i have the 1.1 double layer, which is @29 ounces. the 1.1 single layer is @22 oz., 1.7 couble layers is @38...

so this might be a completely novice question about hammocks and I've only slept in one about 5 nights while hiking. but I never used a pad and was fine? so what advantage is it to carry a pad?

i never felt the hammock was "hard" or uncomfortable to lay in. but my next hiking equipment purchase will be a hammock, so I'm just wondering

Images

I have the 1.1 single as I only weigh 160lbs and at that time was the lightest avail option for a WBBB. If you switch out for 6 foot dyna whoopies, 6 foot tree straps and switch out the ridgeline you will save around 5 oz total on your rig.

Yes you are correct I said in a previous post many moons ago it did seem like it was not worth it until I wanted to get my base weight below 10lbs. That really pushed me to do it.

Images

redeye. you'll find once you get below about 60 degrees you'll need some sort of insulation underneath you, hence the pad

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++