WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Trail Birthdays

Default Trail Birthdays

Please share your birthday events while hiking:
    There are 3 kinds of poeple in this world; those who can count and those who can't. :datz

Default Birthday Events

I reached Neels Gap on my 73rd birthday, March 8, 2002. The folks at Walasi-Yi Center had heard I was coming, and they prepared a birthday party for me. I believe it was "Weld" who manned the charcoal grills. The Center provided the burgers, the potato salad and other fixings. A string band appeared. Beer arrived. I was so tired that I went to bed early. The party continued into the night. This was a wonderful tribute that I shall always remember.

Images

Default Birthday on the Trail

I began my first full day of hiking my thru-hike on my 53rd birthday, February 27, 2000. It was a short hike, only about 5 miles from Stover Creek Shelter, through thick blankets of fog and occasional drizzle. I spent the evening at the double-decker Hawk Mountain Shelter with 6 other hikers and opened cards given to me before my hike by my wife & children. My stomach was growling from the anxiety of what the next five months might bring. On the other hand, I was happy to be retired after 30 years of teaching and was looking foward to becoming a grandfather in April. During the night mice raced across my sleeping bag and licked sweat off of the hair on my head. It was a birthday that I will never forget!

Default My Birthday

Mentioned the special day to one other shelter-mate. Of the small crowd at the shelter, I was the last to arrive at the store for the half-gallon challenge. At the sight of me, the whole group broke into "Happy Birthday", which put a smile on my face. As it was my birthday, I felt ok about wussing out of completing the half-gallon. Took a nice swim in the lake. Hiked on to a shelter, but developed a bad blister and had to take a 0 in that shelter the next day.

We made it to Damascus for a wonderful birthday night! I had a bed (at the Lazy Fox), a beer (OK, maybe 5 or 6), and a massage (Bunny in town is fabulous!)- all the things I asked for! Then we hiked out the next day with plans to return in a week for Trail Days. When we got back to trail days and set up our tent at the Lazy Fox Inn, Mrs. Ginny surprised me with a wonderful "Better Than Sex" cake! Her generousity and warm spirit made our time in Damascus one of my best birthday memories EVER!!!
    The very basic core of a man's living spirit is his passion for adventure. The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun. --- Christopher McCandless (aka Alexander Supertramp)

for my 27th birthday I hiked the approach trail to start my AT thru hike. worst birthday i ever had! my pack was way heavy and i never realized what an ass kicker the approach trail was. i was so exhausted that night i passed out with my feet dangling out of my tent. i was too tired to zip it up. the days and months to follow are ones that i will never forget though.

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

celebrated Little Chicken's BD on the trail this year.

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=60216
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

++ New Posts ++