WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Gregory Baltoro 70?

I'm buying my first pack for my thru in '11, and I was wondering if anyone had any input on this pack?

I'm also thinking of getting the Osprey Atmos 60-70, or the Gregory Z65. Any opinions on helping me make my selection would be great. Thanks.

Images

I had a Gregory Baltoro, the 2006 model. I think mine weighed 6 and a half pounds and it could carry heavy loads extremely comfortably. It was a great pack that lasted years of use, but I think its over-kill for a Thru. Unless you plan on carrying 40 pound loads I would look at another pack. I don't know anything about Osprey or the Gregory Z65. You might want to look at ULA packs too.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.
    -Edward Abbey

If you're considering an Osprey, you may want to look at the Exos 58. I hiked with a fellow who had one last weekend.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by govols85 View Post
    I'm buying my first pack for my thru in '11, and I was wondering if anyone had any input on this pack?

I'm also thinking of getting the Osprey Atmos 60-70, or the Gregory Z65. Any opinions on helping me make my selection would be great. Thanks.
    none of the above! go with a ULA pack! maddog
    "You do more hiking with your head than your feet!" Emma "Grandma" Gatewood...HYOY!!!
    http://www.hammockforums.net/?

Images

Yeah that Gregory weighs over 5 pounds...

http://ula-equipment.com/circuit.asp
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.
    -Edward Abbey

Baltoro is great pack,but heavy, went to the ULA Catalyst

Images

Can't help but repeat that most if not all of the Gregory packs are heavy. I've went to some insane lengths to tweak my gear to get it light as possible but I really didn't think it was any better. Obviously a lighter pack is better but I guess it all depends on what your going for too. I don't stay out for extended periods of time like I did in college so I'm going heavier these days and allowing myself more options. If your going the distance then you need to be light.

Images

ULA is just an unbeatable pack too. Nothing wrong with the Golite's either.

Images

I had a Baltoro. Well made pack. But too heavy for me. The ULA packs are good, as are the lighter Osprey packs. Other choices include the REI Flash 65, several Granite Gear packs, etc.

I'd recommend a pack with an internal frame, a capacity of about 4000 cubic inches (60 liters), and which weighs 3 pounds or less. That's the sweet spot for a beginning long distance hiker, IMHO.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
    I had a Gregory Baltoro, the 2006 model. I think mine weighed 6 and a half pounds and it could carry heavy loads extremely comfortably. It was a great pack that lasted years of use, but I think its over-kill for a Thru. Unless you plan on carrying 40 pound loads I would look at another pack. I don't know anything about Osprey or the Gregory Z65. You might want to look at ULA packs too.
    I fully agree that the Baltoro is overkill for three season hiking on the A.T. I use mine for winter camping and love it, but I use a Gregory z55 for the rest of the year.

That said, if I was buying a pack now my first choice would probably be an Osprey Atmos 65. I've borrowed my friend's from time to time and it is my favorite of the three, the pack handles weight well enough and has a highly breathable back, which is a great feature in the summer.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

Default ULA Packs

I bought a Gregory Z65 back in April at a fantastic price from Sierra Trading. The side pockets are not going to work for my 1 litre Nalgene bottles. In fact, I tried a 20oz water bottle and it was very frustrating to get it in and out. I don't like water bladders....I'm also concerned about the shoulder strap padding. I'm going over to Mt Rogers Outfitters asap to look at ULA Packs... They seem to get "Top Honors" around here for lightweight comfortable packs.
    He leads me beside still waters !!
    Happy Trails..... BrotherAL

Gregory packs are heavy... but I love mine! I have use several packs over the years as a scout, ranging from Alice packs to GoLite. The one I keep going back to is my Gregory Palisade. It's comfortable.

I'm not a UL kinda guy. I'd rather take a few more luxury items and enjoy the ride, rather than taking the bare essentials. Not everyone will agree with me, but take all of the advice you get here and make your own decision. HYOH

I have to agree with the statements of others, Gregory packs are well made, but heavy. I personally own the REI flash, used it last summer on the Long Trail and loved it. Go with a 3 pound pack-4,000cc if you think that works for you.
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

Images

Love my Baltoro 70, no other pack rides like it. I have contemplated trying the ULA Catalyst but just can't bring myself to buy one when my Gregory works so well. The little extra weight isnt' even noticeable with it carrying so well, plus they are bomb proof!

Images

Anybody have an opinion on a ULA Camino? I've been eyeballing one of those for a bit now.
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. - Steven Wright

++ New Posts ++