WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Taking off from work

I'm 37 and have had the same career for 15 years. Being that I'm not just out of high school or college, I'm wondering how others have worked out being able to take 5 or 6 months off from work to thru-hike the AT. Any ideas or stories?

Images

You could try to get a leave of absence. If you are in a low wage / low skill job, you have a better chance of getting employment after you're done at a similar level / pay. Generally, the higher the pay, the harder it is to get back. Some skills that are in high demand can make this easier - nursing, healthcare, physical therapists, and teachers seem to have the most want ads. If you're in a a good career though, and have a stable employment outlook over the next few years, now would be an especially poor time to just quit and expect to get rehired in anything close to what you may have now.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

One word: Section hike

4-e-b pretty much covered it.

Factor in a family and mortgage and the logistics of it all can make a mid-life thru hike a poor decision. The operative word being "can" - you know your situation better than anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by 72jaybird View Post
    I'm 37 and have had the same career for 15 years. Being that I'm not just out of high school or college, I'm wondering how others have worked out being able to take 5 or 6 months off from work to thru-hike the AT. Any ideas or stories?
    You say you have been in the same career for 15 years, but that answer can be some what vague. In other words, have you worked steady, for the same company, for 15 years? Or are you in a career like a blue-collar type career, say such as a Carpenter, or other Tradesperson who may need to change employers often, as jobs arise? This can mean the difference of being able to return back after a thru-hike, and being able to find suitable work and continue on basically financially unscathed, or if you lose a job with an employer where you have worked your entire life, could wind up being financially devastating. If you have a career where you know for a fact you will be able to look for and eventually find suitable work upon your return, then if you feel your life is fine and you have enough money to do a thru-hike and will have enough to tide you over for awhile upon your return, then maybe you can do it. If you are going to lose a job that is valuable and which will most likely be impossible to recoup upon your return, then maybe thru-hiking at this point of time in your life is not wise, given the nature of the current economic downturn. And just so you know, it is said that most people who thru-hike are either younger, like right out of college, or retired. Us middle aged people usually are not as prevalent out on the trail thru-hiking, due to the fact we are usually in careers or raising families and paying off accumulated bills and debt.

Images

I'm 38, been working in the same industry for the greater part of 18 years. I have a mortgage and two small children, along with a wife who is not into backpacking.

I have to be content with a couple of sections a year.

I'll finish eventually...
    For we cannot tarry here, We must march my darlings, we must bear the brunt of danger...

Section hiking is probably healthier also. Still an extended hike or adventure is something everyone should try to do or aspire to do at some point in their lives. The most important thing i think is to make outdoor adventure activities as much an integral part of your life and lifestyle as possible. The best planning and preparation for a thru-hike is by getting out there and hiking, be it day hikes, weekend hikes, or section hikes. Dreaming big is important, but the payoff is not just the thru-hike if you ever get it done, but all the other hikes you do before hand even if you never do land the big one.

I'm an engineer and took a 6-month leave of absence for my through this year. I don't think every person at my firm would have been approved. I've worked there for 8 years and I am a valued employee. Officially there was no sure thing that my job would be available when I finished, but I wasn't worried. In fact, I'm still taking the full 6 months even though I finished the hike in 5. If times are tough, calling it a voluntary furlough may be a good sell.

I don’t think the particulars are all based on your specific work place and you’re just going to have to test the waters to find out if you can pull it off.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by malowitz View Post
    I'm an engineer and took a 6-month leave of absence for my through this year. I don't think every person at my firm would have been approved. I've worked there for 8 years and I am a valued employee. Officially there was no sure thing that my job would be available when I finished, but I wasn't worried. In fact, I'm still taking the full 6 months even though I finished the hike in 5. If times are tough, calling it a voluntary furlough may be a good sell.

I don’t think the particulars are all based on your specific work place and you’re just going to have to test the waters to find out if you can pull it off.
    It was nice of your employer to grant you the leave. Most won't. And HR people generally don't view thru-hiking, mountain climbing expeditions, etc. as a positive on a resume when looking at employment gaps regardless of how much committment and effort is put into accomplishing one's goal. I don't necessarily agree with them, but I can understand their point of view. They want predictable boring employees who are happy with a few weeks off each year.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Images

I'm a teacher and blessed with a principal who believes that if a female can take off 3 months for maternity leave, then a male can take off for 3 months for a thru-hike. Very supportive, very interested in how I'm going to incorporate the planning in my science classes, very interested in me communicating from the trail about conditions, geology, biology, botany, etc.

I also have military retirement pay to help with any bills that come up while I'm gone and everything except for the mortgage should be paid off by then.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Journal Entries
    Images

Stop working for money and walk. It's not that hard to figure out folks.
    I don't know

I saved so money wasn't an issue.

I had no kids so that wasn't an issue.

I had an understanding wife so that wasn't an issue.

I asked for a LOA and was denied. I quit; when I returned I was offered a similar job to return to my old company. I turned them down as I realized how much I hated working there.

I got interviews primarily because I thru hiked.

I didn't get interviews primarily because I thru hiked.

In todays economy it would be stupid to quit a job just to take a 6 month vacation unless you are close to retirement and are pretty much set for the rest of your life. Job market is horrible out there.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    . . . In todays economy it would be stupid to quit a job just to take a 6 month vacation unless you are close to retirement and are pretty much set for the rest of your life. Job market is horrible out there.
    That should be the biggest concern for people in their earning years right now. If you've got a stable job, now is simply not the time to give it up. The U6 measure of unemployment is right around 20%, forget about the more attractive looking 10% U3 measurement. Lots of people that were making good incomes are out of work or working minimum wage jobs and burning through savings and/or living on debt. And it doesn't look like it's going to get better anytime soon.

I was offered a LOA but I turned it down. I never was able to go back to that company. I wasn't very happy there anyway. I'm now working part-time without benefits. I'm a computer programmer. Still, I wouldn't trade the experience of the hike for anything.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

I think it has alot to do with relationships. By the time you have figured out you need them, its often too late to build them, so then you may have to figure out a way to get by without them. But I don't know that much about them really. I am married and have a lovely daughter whom I both love, but I still don't think I know the difference between a relationship and an ever increasing series of swift kicks in the groin. Anyhow, with the right relationships you can do just about anything in life. Without relationships you can do just about anything also, not that you or anyone would give a damn. Most people are somewhere in the middle. Figuring out where exactly, and where you are going, and where you maybe should be going, that ain't easy. Either way, you never know where he next kick is coming from, so you either move on or just wait for it.

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post

In todays economy it would be stupid to quit a job just to take a 6 month vacation unless you are close to retirement and are pretty much set for the rest of your life. Job market is horrible out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    That should be the biggest concern for people in their earning years right now. If you've got a stable job, now is simply not the time to give it up. The U6 measure of unemployment is right around 20%, forget about the more attractive looking 10% U3 measurement. Lots of people that were making good incomes are out of work or working minimum wage jobs and burning through savings and/or living on debt. And it doesn't look like it's going to get better anytime soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    It was nice of your employer to grant you the leave. Most won't. And HR people generally don't view thru-hiking, mountain climbing expeditions, etc. as a positive on a resume when looking at employment gaps regardless of how much committment and effort is put into accomplishing one's goal. I don't necessarily agree with them, but I can understand their point of view. They want predictable boring employees who are happy with a few weeks off each year.

I was very surprised when I first ran into this attitude on the trail. There were some people aghast that I took a leave from a good job. It’s what I wanted to do so I did it. Although we were in the vast minority, there were other thrus with jobs waiting for them upon their return. If you're going to sit there wishing you were out trying to thru hike instead, is it worth it? Or if you're burned out and going to miserable, is it worth the security of the job?

As for the LOA - check the policy. My company had a "personal leave" that didn't need a specific reason. I didn't hide my reasons though. Most people think it is pretty cool. In fact, I finished in 5 months, but I'm taking the whole 6 months off so I can relax and readjust.

I'm 34. I'm early/mid career. I saved money for the trip and mortgage (I had renters at a token $200/mo to look after the place for 3 months). It worked for me. Good luck.

Asked for a LOA for 7 months after working at the company for 4 years. It was good timing for my project, the company was very happy with my work, and I was considered (and am considered) a valuable employee. They went out of the way to accommodate me, and it all worked out. In fact, they were letting people go as I was coming back, but they made sure I had plenty to do. If you're valuable to the company and the company understands that, they will find a way.

Totally worth it though! Had a mortgage and a wife. One went on the hike with me, the other just took my money. Now my wife and I have two kids and the mortgage is still taking my money.

Gravity

Images

Quote Originally Posted by malowitz View Post
    I was very surprised when I first ran into this attitude on the trail. There were some people aghast that I took a leave from a good job. It’s what I wanted to do so I did it. Although we were in the vast minority, there were other thrus with jobs waiting for them upon their return. If you're going to sit there wishing you were out trying to thru hike instead, is it worth it? Or if you're burned out and going to miserable, is it worth the security of the job?

As for the LOA - check the policy. My company had a "personal leave" that didn't need a specific reason. I didn't hide my reasons though. Most people think it is pretty cool. In fact, I finished in 5 months, but I'm taking the whole 6 months off so I can relax and readjust.

I'm 34. I'm early/mid career. I saved money for the trip and mortgage (I had renters at a token $200/mo to look after the place for 3 months). It worked for me. Good luck.
    Taking a LOA is great if you can get one. Most people can't. Quitting outright may result in more misery down the road than not thru-hiking. As only 25% or so actually finish their thru anyway, it a big gamble if you have a good job, because in today's economy it likely won't be there when you get done.

I think most folks who ask me this question about myself actually want me to tell them how they can take 5 or 6 months off from work. Even after I tell them how THEY might accomplish the act of taking off 5 to 6 months from work it scares them. My recommendations don't sit very well with their way of thinking, that is magnifying the obstacle, taking off from work. They have this approach avoidance scenario in their mind where as they get closer to actually accomplishing their goal(s)/dream(s)/idea(s) they fail to follow through. Unfortunately, I have found that sometimes those who are asking about how something can be accomplished are unconsciously seeking reasons/excuses why it can't be done! It means they don't even have to try. That is the way their brains have been conditioned. I dare you to to examine, think, and act outside of this conditioning!

I used to begin answering this question by telling others how I do it. Before I could get very far with my own experiences they would stop me and tell me why they weren't in the same situation and why they couldn't take the same approach as myself. Well, of course, because no two people are in EXACTLY the same situation. I think they were missing the BIG picture! There is no one magic bullet one size fits all approach as to how you take off 5 to 6 months from work.

Accomplishing your unordinary dreams and BIG ideas most often requires unordinary/outside of the box ways of new thinking! It may mean having to go against societal, cultural. national, and/or family norms! This is the place where you will find the answer to your own question, "how do I find a way to take off 5 to 6 months of work."

Think about those creative possibly unorthodox thinking times when you found a way, when at first there seemed to be no way/solution, or you weren't, at first, aware of how you were going to accomplish something and still you found a way that was right for you. IN THAT SAME PLACE IS WHERE YOU WILL FIND YOUR ANSWER! It will mean you will have to make some choices that some may find unagreeable. At first you may even have a hard time. Be prepared for opposition because you have decided to set yourself up to accomplish the unordinary!

Go explore!

All the Best

Images

Everything and I mean Everything in life is a choice. So figure out what is the worst that can happen with your choice and then decide if you can deal with that.

Remember there is no such thing as I HAVE to do this or that.

Doc Mike

Accomplishing your unordinary dreams and BIG ideas most often requires unordinary/outside of the box ways of new thinking! It may mean having to go against societal, cultural. national, and/or family norms! This is the place where you will find the answer to your own question, "how do I find a way to take off 5 to 6 months of work."
    Dogwood you make a good point. A lot of people really don't want to know how you did it because they already know. You have to make yourself vulnerable to the economy. You have to do something outside the norm.

The economy isn't very forgiving to those who don't bow down to it. If you can get a LOA you will be a little less vulnerable than someone who quits, but you'll still be vulnerable. You will have shown them that you were disloyal to the system. Maybe they won't be able to control you because you showed them you're not totally dependent and subservient.

I ask myself all the time what on earth is this economy for? Who benefits by me playing by the rules, striving to achieve, trying to build a perfect relationship to work? So far in my life, it hasn't been me. So I quit my job to hike instead. Now the corporate world is distrustful of me, but it hasn't been entirely impossible to get a job in this economy.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++