WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Movie "127 Hours" - Nov 5, 2010

Story - adapted from "Between a Rock and a Hard Place" by Aron Ralston
    IMDB Link - 127 Hours (2010) Summary: "127 Hours is the true story of mountain climber Aron Ralston's (James Franco) remarkable adventure to save himself after a fallen boulder crashes on his arm and traps him in an isolated canyon in Utah. Over the next five days Ralston examines his life and survives the elements to finally discover he has the courage and the wherewithal to extricate himself by any means necessary, scale a 65 foot wall and hike over eight miles before he is finally rescued." ~~ Sounds like it's quite graphic as a couple people needed medical attention after watching the public screening at the Telluride Festival.

Quote Originally Posted by couscous View Post
    Story - adapted from "Between a Rock and a Hard Place" by Aron Ralston
    IMDB Link - 127 Hours (2010) Summary: "127 Hours is the true story of mountain climber Aron Ralston's (James Franco) remarkable adventure to save himself after a fallen boulder crashes on his arm and traps him in an isolated canyon in Utah. Over the next five days Ralston examines his life and survives the elements to finally discover he has the courage and the wherewithal to extricate himself by any means necessary, scale a 65 foot wall and hike over eight miles before he is finally rescued." ~~ Sounds like it's quite graphic as a couple people needed medical attention after watching the public screening at the Telluride Festival.
    I saw his documentary a few years ago, and "60 Minutes" had an interveiw with him once.. It is a true story of survival.
    "So what if theres a mountain, get over it!!!" - Graywolf, 2010

Sounds good. I read the book several years ago. Quite a story!

Images

Heard him speak in Philadelphia to a business group, amazing story, my son who was ill really enjoyed it.

I just saw a trailer for this movie. I've got mixed feelings about it. I'm all about survival stories, but I don't like seeing people like this being portrayed as heros. From what I've read, he broke some of the cardinal rules of survival-- didn't have extra food and water, didn't have any form of communication, and most importantly he didn't tell anyone where he was going.

I will, however, view the movie with an open mind. If nothing else its bound to have some awesome scenery.
    ~Happiness is only real when shared~

Images

None of us are perfect. Sometimes "compost happens." He is not a hero for getting into the situation, but for overcoming.

Quote Originally Posted by Torch09 View Post
    I just saw a trailer for this movie. I've got mixed feelings about it. I'm all about survival stories, but I don't like seeing people like this being portrayed as heros. From what I've read, he broke some of the cardinal rules of survival-- didn't have extra food and water, didn't have any form of communication, and most importantly he didn't tell anyone where he was going.

I will, however, view the movie with an open mind. If nothing else its bound to have some awesome scenery.

Mmmm, extra food? extra water? telling someone (who?) where you are going?
    I didn't know these were requirements ?
    I guess in this day of cell phones, we have new duties.

Maybe I have to start considering myself "old school"
    I'm more apt to camel up, and get mad at myself when i have a day or 2 food left over when i hit town.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Quote Originally Posted by Torch09 View Post
    From what I've read, he broke some of the cardinal rules of survival--

Yet he in fact did survive.

What about the cardinal rule of solitude and owning your own fate?

Quote Originally Posted by Graywolf View Post
    I saw his documentary a few years ago, and "60 Minutes" had an interveiw with him once.. It is a true story of survival.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Cross View Post
    None of us are perfect. Sometimes "compost happens." He is not a hero for getting into the situation, but for overcoming.
    As mentioned, it is a true story of someone getting away with doing stupid things for years until it finally caught up with him and he was forced to cut his own arm off.

Animals will chew their own limbs off to survive traps. I don't consider anyone who does what they have to for the sake of survival a hero, and I think it says quite a bit about the sensationalistic world we live in that acting like a moron gets you a book contract and a movie deal.

Fiddlehead -- Long before everyone had a cell phone, I used to give the phone # of the local ranger station and Sheriff's department of where I'd be hiking to someone at home, along with an expected return date. It wasn't a requirement or a duty. But as I was wandering around in the desert in Arizona, I thought it prudent.

I know that was one aspect of not ending up in the kind of situation Ralston faced, in addition to being adequately supplied. The fact that you are the kind of person who ends up with extra food at the end of a trip says to me that you plan your trips better than Ralston ever did for any of his trips, not just the one where he got caught.
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

I don't know but there have been plenty of times where no one knew exactly where I was on the trail. Most of those places have no cell service and were off official trail. I guess I'm lucky I survived without having to cut off my arm.

Images

Looking forward to seeing it myself. I've hiked in those canyons and in many places throughout Moab and Escalante. I've told people before that the "easy" part was actually cutting off his arm. After that...actually getting to help was the real miracle. He had to rappel down a rock face (with one hand obviously) after being dehydrated, exhausted, and very low on blood.

The movie will be an excuse for my wife and I to watch a story that I like, while she watches some "hunk" that she likes. It's a win-win. HA!

Images

I've been waiting for this movie. Danny Boyle is a great director and I love the area where this movie was shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    Yet he in fact did survive.

What about the cardinal rule of solitude and owning your own fate?
    Exactly.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.
    -Edward Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by Jester2000 View Post
    As mentioned, it is a true story of someone getting away with doing stupid things for years until it finally caught up with him and he was forced to cut his own arm off.

Animals will chew their own limbs off to survive traps. I don't consider anyone who does what they have to for the sake of survival a hero, and I think it says quite a bit about the sensationalistic world we live in that acting like a moron gets you a book contract and a movie deal.

Fiddlehead -- Long before everyone had a cell phone, I used to give the phone # of the local ranger station and Sheriff's department of where I'd be hiking to someone at home, along with an expected return date. It wasn't a requirement or a duty. But as I was wandering around in the desert in Arizona, I thought it prudent.

I know that was one aspect of not ending up in the kind of situation Ralston faced, in addition to being adequately supplied. The fact that you are the kind of person who ends up with extra food at the end of a trip says to me that you plan your trips better than Ralston ever did for any of his trips, not just the one where he got caught.
    Mmm, I just can't imagine in my 16 years of extensive backpacking and traveling around the world that i would call someone (who?) every time i was going off-road.
    I don't know who would put up with that for 16 years and would they call the sheriff each time i decided to stay an extra day or couldn't get to a phone to call (check) in?
    Nah! Just can't see it. (or do it)
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Aron hiked his own hike and by most accounts paid a price that is far above the going rate. Yes, he overcame a lot, which is a story of perseverance in & of itself. The movie should be good entertainment, but I also hope that it portrays a good lesson for many that making the kind of choices that Aron made isn't the smartest approach to enjoying the outdoors. If most people support the "cardinal rules" and it saves a few lives, which they do regularly, then they're wise rules to live by for most. There will always be a few that balk at the "cardinal rules" as with just about anything, but as the old saying goes, you can lead a horse to water...
    Be the change you wish to see in the world...gandhi

Images

Have not read the book but I saw the trailer. The movie trailer appears to portray the main character as "unbreakable" and a bit full of himself, while, from what I have been told, that the real life character is down to earth, methodical, an engineering student.

The movie may be entertaining, ( at least the trailer was very entertaining ) but it may be another Hollywood "real life" fantasy

I guess, I will have to wait and see.

Quote Originally Posted by Windcatcher View Post
    Aron hiked his own hike and by most accounts paid a price that is far above the going rate. Yes, he overcame a lot, which is a story of perseverance in & of itself. The movie should be good entertainment, but I also hope that it portrays a good lesson for many that making the kind of choices that Aron made isn't the smartest approach to enjoying the outdoors. If most people support the "cardinal rules" and it saves a few lives, which they do regularly, then they're wise rules to live by for most. There will always be a few that balk at the "cardinal rules" as with just about anything, but as the old saying goes, you can lead a horse to water...

Well said.

I wasn't planning on seeing this movie, but I just found out that Kate Mara and Amber Tamblyn are in it, so I think I'll check it out when it comes out on DVD.

Images

When does this movie come out?? I didn't like the book but I love Utah and Danny Boyle. I wanna see it!
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.
    -Edward Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
    When does this movie come out?? I didn't like the book but I love Utah and Danny Boyle. I wanna see it!

It was released on november 5th, I believe, but only in select theaters. Nowhere within 50 miles of me has it
    ~Happiness is only real when shared~

http://content.foxsearchlight.com/inside/node/4606 -- locations by date
    For anyone near Denver, CO .. Aron Ralston is scheduled to appear in person at the Mayan Theatre this Friday night (Nov 12) for a Q&A session after the 6pm showing.
    Backpacking light, feels so right.

Quote Originally Posted by Windcatcher View Post
    Aron hiked his own hike and by most accounts paid a price that is far above the going rate....

If most people support the "cardinal rules" and it saves a few lives, which they do regularly, then they're wise rules to live by for most. There will always be a few that balk at the "cardinal rules" as with just about anything, but as the old saying goes, you can lead a horse to water...
    What "cardinal rule" would have made a difference? At best, instead of 5 days it may have been two or three before they found him. I doubt anything would have saved his arm.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++