WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default ULA Catalyst or Gossamer Gear G4.....

Looking for the balance of lighter weight and comfort for long hauls, 7-10 days, between resupply. I think I have narrowed it down to these two, and leaning toward the Catalyst....any body with experience with either and used for the purpose I've outlined?

THANKS

Images

I have a Cataylst. like it alot. Keep in mind its framless, i use my sleeping pad as a back pad. keeps stuff from poking in to my back. i like it a lot.

Default When did you buy yours? I've read that now...

Quote Originally Posted by G-WALK View Post
    I have a Cataylst. like it alot. Keep in mind its framless, i use my sleeping pad as a back pad. keeps stuff from poking in to my back. i like it a lot.
    the twin aluminum stays are part of the system. Internal frame, Twin stay framesheet

http://www.ula-equipment.com/catalyst.asp

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

We have 4 catalysts in my family and everyone likes theirs a lot.

The practical upper limit that a catalyst will carry well is around 32-35 lbs. I think they advertise 40 but that's a bit optimistic IMO.

Hike smarter, not harder.

The Catalyst will carry a lot more weight comfortably than the G4. The GG Mariposa Plus would be a better choice than the G4.
    Last edited by skinewmexico; 09-15-2010 at 00:34.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Images

The Catalyst will work for 7-10 days without resupply, although it depends on the type of food you carry and your dietary needs. I once carried 11 days of food in mine...I meant to carry 5, but forgot to pay attention while packing my food bag. I believe I also had 5-6 liters of water.

Images

go with the catalyst...its the best pack ive ever owned! maddog
    "You do more hiking with your head than your feet!" Emma "Grandma" Gatewood...HYOY!!!
    http://www.hammockforums.net/?

Quote Originally Posted by G-WALK View Post
    are you sure you have a Catalyst? The Catalyst has Aluminum frame stays and padding, the Circuit and Conduit (now called the CDT) do not.

Quote Originally Posted by JERMM View Post
    are you sure you have a Catalyst? The Catalyst has Aluminum frame stays and padding, the Circuit and Conduit (now called the CDT) do not.
    CDT doesn't have a frame, Circuit has a hoop frame and an aluminum stay. I use my Circuit a hundred times more than I use my Catalyst. Catalyst is just too big, although I don't do many week long trips.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I think the catalyst is the perfect "step down" pack for someone looking to go from a heavier, big name pack to something lighter.

The more experience you get hiking and choosing lighter gear the bigger the pack becomes until one day you realize "wow, this is a big pack!"

Images

I would look at the Gossamer Gear Gorilla.

It is about the same size, but I have been highly impressed with the solid aluminum stay.

This pack has replaced all my other packs. For 26 ounces give or take one it is perfect for me.
    "All that is important is this one moment in movement. Make the moment vital and worth living." Martha Graham

Quote Originally Posted by nawlunz View Post
    Looking for the balance of lighter weight and comfort for long hauls, 7-10 days, between resupply. I think I have narrowed it down to these two, and leaning toward the Catalyst....any body with experience with either and used for the purpose I've outlined?

THANKS
    I'd also consider the Six Moons Design Starlight. Quite the load hauler. I have one and highly recommend.
    "If you don't know where you're going...any road will get you there."
    "He who's not busy living is busy dying"

Quote Originally Posted by skinewmexico View Post
    CDT doesn't have a frame, Circuit has a hoop frame and an aluminum stay. I use my Circuit a hundred times more than I use my Catalyst. Catalyst is just too big, although I don't do many week long trips.
    my mistake, you are correct

for long trips with heavy loads and comfort the Catalyst is a great pack

Images

Quote Originally Posted by nawlunz View Post

THANKS
    I have both and recommend the ULA pack for your criteria
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

Default Yes, it's looking like that pack, in particular, has..

Quote Originally Posted by Egads View Post
    the best reviews for the criteria I seek.

Quote Originally Posted by Egads View Post
    I can say the same thing, and probably should have way earlier in the thread.

I have a G4 that I made myself from a kit from quest. I however bent a easton alluminm arrow shaft in a horseshoe shape.You have to heat the arrow shaft with a propane tourch to aneal the Aluminum. I bent it around a coffe can. I then snwiched it between two pieces of closed cell foam. After contact adhesiving the foam together. This back pad makes the GG G4 a much more supportive pack. It adds a couple ounces ,but is worth it. I roll my thermarest up inside and stuff gear in the tube.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    The more experience you get hiking and choosing lighter gear the bigger the pack becomes until one day you realize "wow, this is a big pack!"
    Very well said. And then you say: "I wish I had bought a smaller one."

litefoot 2000

I love my Catalyst and Circuit both! The Catalyst I use for longer trips when I need to carry more, the Circuit for overnights, etc. Great packs, very comfortable!

I have been researching backpacks and I really like the Catalyst. I am a woman (big, not frail) and wonder, though, if it would be a good pack for me.
    Formerly known as Texas Phlox.

++ New Posts ++