I've been out of town recently but have heard some unfortunate news, which is that Forest Service personnel have been going by the "soccer field" campsite and informing hikers that they should NOT be camping there. (I do not know if the site is presently posted to this effect).

Hikers should probably avoid the campsites immediately adjacent to the Trail; sites well removed from the Trail are probably OK. As always, don't stay on the field itself as this WILL result in a visit from college or town Police.

Hikers should also avoid overnighting in any college buildings, especially the Outing Club building as there have been several recent incidents involving college security. In fact, because of the annual Outing Club freshman trip program, the Outing Club building is pretty much closed to hikers anyway for the next few weeks.

Lastly, and a lot of folks don't know about this (and the Outing Club was one of the few places that posted the information), it is now possible to get a shower and laundry done in town. Follow the Trail North thru town and across the street from the Co-op supermarket you'll see the local Community/Senior center. Check in at the front desk and for a nominal fee, you can get yourself and your clothes cleaned up downstairs. This is a great service for hikers and I wish more people knew about it.